Dinosaurs Improvements to Hunting

Ok, I know that the hunting mechanics have been discussed before, but I don't know if any definitive response regarding the topic. If there has been, please correct me!

The hunting mechanic is a bit unrealistic, as every carnivore just walks up behind their prey (goat/defenceless dinosaur/human) and kills them with a single blow every time. Whilst real carnivores often do sneak up on their prey, they don't always remain undetected and this leads to a chase, and they don't always succeed. In addition to modifying the current hunting animation to include an outcome where the prey escapes, I think it would be great if they included:
  1. Chase hunts that might be successful, unsuccessful but injures the prey, and unsuccessful entirely
  2. Pack hunting, such as the velociraptors working together to take down larger prey, as opposed to just the one.
I understand that this is a lot to ask, and that people have suggested it before so I apologise if this is a bit repetitive, but I think it's something that has been needing work on for a while.

New updated herding and mixed species herding (herbivores) and new pack hunting/coordinate attacks (carnivores)
New updated sleeping animation (long or longer periods of time)

Did they? Where??

Man, that would be a huge disappointment for me. I remember that scene from the promos of that raptor pack chasing that trike... still hoping they eventually implement it!
They did that scene in the trailer just to impress us, hope they rethink and add pack hunting

I agree that improvements to hunting could be made, but I think there are few more way this could happen too. I'm all for pack hunting, more fluid hunting animation rather than the hunter having to line up exactly behind it's prey and also a chance of failure where the prey makes an effort to retaliate or full on escapes by out-running its chaser or ducking into some dense forest.....

....but what I'd also like to see is a revision of which carnivores can hunt which herbivores. For example it has been proven in reality that something like a pack of lions can take down a small elephant or giraffe (adult or juvenile - they could take calves much more easily) - but only where there are sufficient numbers in the pack to cause enough panic and bloodloss to weaken it enough. At the moment I think it's quite realistic for the large carnivores to easily take hadrosaurs and ornithomimids down, but not the small carnivores - or if a small carnivore could do this - it would need a good number (at least 4 or 5) to all attack at the same time, using their claws to tightly grip onto the body while slashing and biting down hard to (like the lions) cause enough weakening of the herbivore to eventually take it down. With day/night cycle now implemented it might be better to only allow this at night too - as carnivore hunters tend to have better vision in the dark - would mean the herbivore's confusion would allow it to be grounded a little easier.

Last edited:
They did that scene in the trailer just to impress us, hope they rethink and add pack hunting

That was obvious. That's why I was impressed, then disappointed, then slightly hopeful (when they stated they would continue to support the game and add staff)... so, when did they say they gave up pack-hunting?

I'm fairly sure they said pack hunting wasn't going to happen. I do hope we get some more animations including a failed hunt.

Frontier has said many things in the past they have gone back on. Remember the whole dinosaurs sizing fiasco, they went back on that when the outrage boiled over. Its very possible that the inclusion of pack hunting might require some modifications to the Cobra Engine, but its still feasible. When you look at aquatic and flying reptiles, however, that requires significant changes to the game engine; therefore, those I can see 100% requiring some sort of sequel to be present.

This is actually a tactic Nintendo commonly uses as well, they will outright deny rumor/speculation and then later announce it after the hype has died down using it as a selling point for whatever they are doing next. The fact Frontier did it once with the dinosaur resizing, its very probable that we see pack hunting in the future although I wouldn't massively expect an overhaul of the combat system another thing they might have in a sequel. They could improve the current game's combat by adding more animations to each species and in the process making it less clear when/what attack will occur.

With regards to the main topic, I definitely think we will see some improvements to the hunting in the game. If they say they are working on improving the dino AI, they can't just shoot everything down that people want and say its impossible or not planned. We have some clear instances where we can concede that point, but hunting seems like a key area they can improve and just smooth out the animations some precisely to allow for chases and a chance for prey to escape predation. I say this has a strong chance of occurring.

Frontier has said many things in the past they have gone back on. Remember the whole dinosaurs sizing fiasco, they went back on that when the outrage boiled over. Its very possible that the inclusion of pack hunting might require some modifications to the Cobra Engine, but its still feasible. When you look at aquatic and flying reptiles, however, that requires significant changes to the game engine; therefore, those I can see 100% requiring some sort of sequel to be present.

This is actually a tactic Nintendo commonly uses as well, they will outright deny rumor/speculation and then later announce it after the hype has died down using it as a selling point for whatever they are doing next. The fact Frontier did it once with the dinosaur resizing, its very probable that we see pack hunting in the future although I wouldn't massively expect an overhaul of the combat system another thing they might have in a sequel. They could improve the current game's combat by adding more animations to each species and in the process making it less clear when/what attack will occur.

With regards to the main topic, I definitely think we will see some improvements to the hunting in the game. If they say they are working on improving the dino AI, they can't just shoot everything down that people want and say its impossible or not planned. We have some clear instances where we can concede that point, but hunting seems like a key area they can improve and just smooth out the animations some precisely to allow for chases and a chance for prey to escape predation. I say this has a strong chance of occurring.

Really hope you're right because with all the rumors about a sequel and the lack of info about basic things like this, I was becoming more downhearted by the day :(

Really hope you're right because with all the rumors about a sequel and the lack of info about basic things like this, I was becoming more downhearted by the day :(

The leaks are questionable at best, but I wouldn't be surprised if Frontier were working on a sequel primarily to address the shortcomings in the current Cobra Engine. They reiterated many times early on that JWE would focus primarily on terrestrial dinosaur species rather than marine/flying reptiles. I will take them for their word on that one given their consistency and I can easily imagine the engine can't support the needed functionality its something they never needed previously with games preceding JWE, so I think it natural the Cobra Engine never had that functionality built and added to prior.

They were less vocal on no pack hunting. I still remain skeptical that its not going to happen as they've said, the job to modify the Cobra Engine for pack hunting is much less extensive a problem and its been repeatedly demanded by the community probably second only to terrain tools and decorations... well ignoring the reptile requests. Its essential that velociraptors operate in their trademark hunting pattern. I remain optimistic although I would be disappointed if this year passes and we get nothing of the sort. They have also not improved herding yet, the lack of collision boxes on dinosaurs as well the absence of cross-species herding is a letdown.

The leaks are questionable at best, but I wouldn't be surprised if Frontier were working on a sequel primarily to address the shortcomings in the current Cobra Engine. They reiterated many times early on that JWE would focus primarily on terrestrial dinosaur species rather than marine/flying reptiles. I will take them for their word on that one given their consistency and I can easily imagine the engine can't support the needed functionality its something they never needed previously with games preceding JWE, so I think it natural the Cobra Engine never had that functionality built and added to prior.

They were less vocal on no pack hunting. I still remain skeptical that its not going to happen as they've said, the job to modify the Cobra Engine for pack hunting is much less extensive a problem and its been repeatedly demanded by the community probably second only to terrain tools and decorations... well ignoring the reptile requests. Its essential that velociraptors operate in their trademark hunting pattern. I remain optimistic although I would be disappointed if this year passes and we get nothing of the sort. They have also not improved herding yet, the lack of collision boxes on dinosaurs as well the absence of cross-species herding is a letdown.
The Frontier has not denied the leaks, at least so far, if the company has not denied the leaked information it is very likely that the leaks are real. For now, let's wait... I would particularly be very happy with JWE2, I want a sequel. What I most want to see in the next game is male dinosaurs, dinosaur breeding, pack hunting and marine reptiles and pterosaurs

Last edited:
The Frontier has not denied the leaks, at least so far, if the company has not denied the leaked information it is very likely that the leaks are real. For now, let's wait... I would particularly be very happy with JWE2, I want a sequel. What I most want to see in the next game is male dinosaurs, dinosaur breeding, pack hunting and marine reptiles and pterosaurs

I think the same way about them not denying the leaks... that's why I'm thinking JWE2 is getting more and more likely. However, I wouldn't like it even if it happens in 2021. Not as another, separate game. I'd rather have it as a huge expansion/DLC pack for JWE.

I think the same way about them not denying the leaks... that's why I'm thinking JWE2 is getting more and more likely. However, I wouldn't like it even if it happens in 2021. Not as another, separate game. I'd rather have it as a huge expansion/DLC pack for JWE.
I understand you my friend, but the mechanics of the current game seem not to support pack hunting, dinosaur breeding, marine reptiles and pterosaurs. To implement all these new content including pack hunting, a new game with new mechanics is required. It seems that it is not possible for them to implement these things in JWE. Just like you I would prefer it to be a huge DLC. But let's wait for the sequel, Who knows you end up liking. :) I'm excited, I think in the next game we will have the so waiting pack hunting!

That is one interpretation, they could also be ignoring the rumors of leaks for another reason. If a developer or a community manager, essentially any Frontier employee (particularly the JWE team) responds to the leaks people might take it as confirmation. Maybe flat out denial of their authenticity would change opinion, but people are already suspicious what Frontier is keeping under wraps, that is in no small part due to the lack of information coming out regarding the game.

I understand you my friend, but the mechanics of the current game seem not to support pack hunting, dinosaur breeding, marine reptiles and pterosaurs. To implement all these new content including pack hunting, a new game with new mechanics is required. It seems that it is not possible for them to implement these things in JWE. Just like you I would prefer it to be a huge DLC. But let's wait for the sequel, Who knows you end up liking. :) I'm excited, I think in the next game we will have the so waiting pack hunting!

I am not ready to let Frontier off the hook for pack hunting or even the basics of breeding. I think both these features can be made as inclusions into the current game. Frontier is really going to burn a lot of people if they hold too much back and try to push a big sequel instead. Dividing your playerbase is not a good idea nor losing good will. By all means, the marine and flying reptiles can wait and maybe a fleshed out breeding system if they care to implement it, but they owe the current game more than its received. I am not overtly happy how long Frontier takes to fix bugs, animation errors, and make quality of life changes. Some of these are outstanding issues that have been there since the game has launched, but not a word on if they will ever be repaired. Frontier seems to be teetering on the edge of well just make new stuff and toss it in rather than fixing what already is first, the new just makes the old look even worse by comparison.

Hopefully they take the game's shortcomings to heart and actively work to fix them.

That is one interpretation, they could also be ignoring the rumors of leaks for another reason. If a developer or a community manager, essentially any Frontier employee (particularly the JWE team) responds to the leaks people might take it as confirmation. Maybe flat out denial of their authenticity would change opinion, but people are already suspicious what Frontier is keeping under wraps, that is in no small part due to the lack of information coming out regarding the game.

I am not ready to let Frontier off the hook for pack hunting or even the basics of breeding. I think both these features can be made as inclusions into the current game. Frontier is really going to burn a lot of people if they hold too much back and try to push a big sequel instead. Dividing your playerbase is not a good idea nor losing good will. By all means, the marine and flying reptiles can wait and maybe a fleshed out breeding system if they care to implement it, but they owe the current game more than its received. I am not overtly happy how long Frontier takes to fix bugs, animation errors, and make quality of life changes. Some of these are outstanding issues that have been there since the game has launched, but not a word on if they will ever be repaired. Frontier seems to be teetering on the edge of well just make new stuff and toss it in rather than fixing what already is first, the new just makes the old look even worse by comparison.

Hopefully they take the game's shortcomings to heart and actively work to fix them.
I really want a sequel, I want JWE2!!!! A new game with better graphics, the same dinosaurs from JWE, terrain tools, pack hunting, Pterosaur DLC, Marine reptiles DLC, male dinosaurs, dinosaur breeding and much more!!!! I prefer that they launch JWE2 makes more sense, because if the game comes out in 2021 along with the latest film would be a great marketing strategy, and with the new consoles the new PS5 and the new Xbox, the game may have better mechanics than current JWE. Just like that to implement all these things we talked about before. I'm betting more on JWE2.

How do you possibly know? I mean, no one seems to know literally anything from the inner workings of the game, aside from the developers themselves. And they won't say much. Sure, they've stated they wouldn't like to mess with people's savegames, but that's pretty much all. And it wouldn't be exactly the first time they claim something to be impossible only to fix it some months later.

Anyway, even if that allegedly sequel did feature avian dinosaurs, I wouldn't be happy at all. Why would I? Do you really think it's ok for them to show such things as pack-hunting on the "in-game" trailers and say "hey, we will be supporting the game for 3 years" and just add a bunch of new dinosaurs and suddenly stop it all just to sell us another game for another 60 dollars? I doubt I'd even gave it a try, considering we would have the very same assurances on the game as we had with JWE: zero. No one would know the game really delivers until it launches, they pay for it and try it, anyway, and I think I've learned my lessons and I would wait at least a year before giving it a chance. How many people would do the same, however much hype JW3 may cause?

I don't know, it just seems a really silly marketing decision to make, so I just hope they stick to JWE and re-work it via Expansion. That would be like having a different game, anyway, because that Exp DLC would be required to keep having support for the new features, yet it would be done on the basis of the already implemented, which seems to me neat enough. But I'm no dev, so I wouldn't know.

I really want a sequel, I want JWE2!!!! A new game with better graphics, the same dinosaurs from JWE, terrain tools, pack hunting, Pterosaur DLC, Marine reptiles DLC, male dinosaurs, dinosaur breeding and much more!!!! I prefer that they launch JWE2 makes more sense, because if the game comes out in 2021 along with the latest film would be a great marketing strategy, and with the new consoles the new PS5 and the new Xbox, the game may have better mechanics than current JWE. Just like that to implement all these things we talked about before. I'm betting more on JWE2.

Graphics are fine enough now, even if they always can improve them. But the same goes with everything else: why starting a new game from scratch just to add the things that people really want on top of what the previous one already had? Even if they work on it during the next 2 years, and JW3's marketing campaign matches the previous ones to create hype, I think it too risky a move to forget JWE in favour of a sequel, even in 2021. JWE already lost thousands of players, why would they buy again such a promising game? I italic both words because their key: it would be the same game and we won't likely have any proof of it to be what we wanted it to be so, why bother at all?

Pardon my ignorance but... what's this Cobra Engine? 😅

Last edited:
Top Bottom