Dinosaurs Improvements to Hunting

How do you possibly know? I mean, no one seems to know literally anything from the inner workings of the game, aside from the developers themselves. And they won't say much. Sure, they've stated they wouldn't like to mess with people's savegames, but that's pretty much all. And it wouldn't be exactly the first time they claim something to be impossible only to fix it some months later.

Anyway, even if that allegedly sequel did feature avian dinosaurs, I wouldn't be happy at all. Why would I? Do you really think it's ok for them to show such things as pack-hunting on the "in-game" trailers and say "hey, we will be supporting the game for 3 years" and just add a bunch of new dinosaurs and suddenly stop it all just to sell us another game for another 60 dollars? I doubt I'd even gave it a try, considering we would have the very same assurances on the game as we had with JWE: zero. No one would know the game really delivers until it launches, they pay for it and try it, anyway, and I think I've learned my lessons and I would wait at least a year before giving it a chance. How many people would do the same, however much hype JW3 may cause?

I don't know, it just seems a really silly marketing decision to make, so I just hope they stick to JWE and re-work it via Expansion. That would be like having a different game, anyway, because that Exp DLC would be required to keep having support for the new features, yet it would be done on the basis of the already implemented, which seems to me neat enough. But I'm no dev, so I wouldn't know.

Graphics are fine enough now, even if they always can improve them. But the same goes with everything else: why starting a new game from scratch just to add the things that people really want on top of what the previous one already had? Even if they work on it during the next 2 years, and JW3's marketing campaign matches the previous ones to create hype, I think it too risky a move to forget JWE in favour of a sequel, even in 2021. JWE already lost thousands of players, why would they buy again such a promising game? I italic both words because their key: it would be the same game and we won't likely have any proof of it to be what we wanted it to be so, why bother at all?

Pardon my ignorance but... what's this Cobra Engine? 😅
I understand... But I still prefer a sequel because if JWE is already good, imagine just a new game with the most advanced Cobra Engine. Paul Crowther gave the answer, we will not have pack hunting in JWE, it is very likely that the current gameplay mechanics are insufficient to produce such a feature, if you see all actions of the dinosaurs are performed by a specific animation. A to create hunting pack there are several variables of what can happen, with the current engine this is not possible, but on next generation consoles this is possible. In a second game we will have new mechanics with new possibilities.

Last edited:
How do you possibly know? I mean, no one seems to know literally anything from the inner workings of the game, aside from the developers themselves. And they won't say much. Sure, they've stated they wouldn't like to mess with people's savegames, but that's pretty much all. And it wouldn't be exactly the first time they claim something to be impossible only to fix it some months later.

Anyway, even if that allegedly sequel did feature avian dinosaurs, I wouldn't be happy at all. Why would I? Do you really think it's ok for them to show such things as pack-hunting on the "in-game" trailers and say "hey, we will be supporting the game for 3 years" and just add a bunch of new dinosaurs and suddenly stop it all just to sell us another game for another 60 dollars? I doubt I'd even gave it a try, considering we would have the very same assurances on the game as we had with JWE: zero. No one would know the game really delivers until it launches, they pay for it and try it, anyway, and I think I've learned my lessons and I would wait at least a year before giving it a chance. How many people would do the same, however much hype JW3 may cause?

I don't know, it just seems a really silly marketing decision to make, so I just hope they stick to JWE and re-work it via Expansion. That would be like having a different game, anyway, because that Exp DLC would be required to keep having support for the new features, yet it would be done on the basis of the already implemented, which seems to me neat enough. But I'm no dev, so I wouldn't know.

Graphics are fine enough now, even if they always can improve them. But the same goes with everything else: why starting a new game from scratch just to add the things that people really want on top of what the previous one already had? Even if they work on it during the next 2 years, and JW3's marketing campaign matches the previous ones to create hype, I think it too risky a move to forget JWE in favour of a sequel, even in 2021. JWE already lost thousands of players, why would they buy again such a promising game? I italic both words because their key: it would be the same game and we won't likely have any proof of it to be what we wanted it to be so, why bother at all?

I see JWE2 as a chance for Frontier to improve its engine and show its true potential. I believe that this company has great ability to make an even better game...well that's my vision

Last edited:
I really want a sequel, I want JWE2!!!! A new game with better graphics, the same dinosaurs from JWE, terrain tools, pack hunting, Pterosaur DLC, Marine reptiles DLC, male dinosaurs, dinosaur breeding and much more!!!! I prefer that they launch JWE2 makes more sense, because if the game comes out in 2021 along with the latest film would be a great marketing strategy, and with the new consoles the new PS5 and the new Xbox, the game may have better mechanics than current JWE. Just like that to implement all these things we talked about before. I'm betting more on JWE2.

I don't even think you have to worry about that, there will inevitably be a sequel. Universal wants to cash in big time as much as possible around a new film's release, all their partners also see the surge in hype as a huge profit opportunity. Part of the issue I feel is that Universal didn't sign a deal with Frontier soon enough before Fallen Kingdom's launch, so JWE launched in the shape it was in. I mean, we couldn't even cancel research or incubations at launch. /sigh

The issue Frontier is facing is that they need to support JWE and provide it with meaningful content and support. Releasing a 3-dino pack and charging for them won't cut it. The way they released the Secrets of Dr. Wu as a paid DLC was already a risky gamble and from my experiences with it, the lacking features in JWE really made that DLC tedious and unable to live up to its potential. Granted, they did a good job with the genetic modifications, but most my gripes with that one were on the Tacano Research Facility where you sat around and did nothing 90% of the time, or did stuff that was extremely predictable and simplistic. The one big surprise being the Spinoraptor that you couldn't tranq which was a clever and interesting challenge if it wasn't spoiled for you. Those terrain tools and decorations have to make it in this game no questions asked, I would argue they have to really improve the quality of animations, AI, and add new behaviors like pack hunting before they can move onto JWE 2.

Players won't buy into the game a second time if they feel they are just going to get piecemeal content. The marketing hook for selling JWE 2 are marine and flying reptiles, they said their focus on JWE was on terrestrial dinosaurs, so they need to deliver on them and add some more interesting gameplay opportunities, they got until 2021 to deliver on that, plenty of time. If speculation of early summer being terrain tools, the decorations can't be far behind and those are way easier to implement, after that they got the second half of the year and all of 2020 to work on dino AI and animation work and some general gameplay enhancement and improvement.

There are many things they can technically do, but due to time and monetary restraints they might be unwilling to do. The marine and flying reptiles could feasibly exist in JWE the work done to the engine it actually get it done, on the other hand, that is a seismic task and might not be worth the effort/interruption to the work flow. So it seems more plausible they would spin it off for its own project.

If they want to do more beyond that, I would be interested in seeing where it goes.

The Cobra Engine is Frontier's in-house game engine. Its pretty common for companies particularly the mid to large ones to invest in developing their own game engine to run their games. Planet Coaster, Elite Dangerous, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo, all of Frontier's games are run on some variant of the Cobra Engine. Each new game Frontier builds on the last adding improvements and more capabilities pretty standard fare unless you are EA. In EA's case you just try to force Frostbite Engine to run everything in all sorts of different genres which inevitably leads to problems. The Cobra Engine works so well because Frontier tends to focus on simulation/park builder games, whereas EA has problems because Frostbite was built for First-Person Shooters but expected to run RPGs and Sports titles as well.

So just to reiterate while its technically possible to make a game engine support all sorts of things, it is often a lot of work and may not be worth it to use an engine that wasn't designed with the genre of game you have in mind otherwise you will wind up with a game like Anthem running on an engine with no native support for functionality common in RPGs, but unnecessary in FPS titles. You could say that in Frontier's case, the marine and flying reptiles aren't planned for addition into JWE because the functionality was never needed before this game and thus the Cobra Engine has to be heavily modified in order to accommodate the functions needed for Frontier to develop and implement them. The best opportunity to get this work done and pushed out is with the release of a new title which would be JWE 2 for our purposes.

I don't even think you have to worry about that, there will inevitably be a sequel. Universal wants to cash in big time as much as possible around a new film's release, all their partners also see the surge in hype as a huge profit opportunity. Part of the issue I feel is that Universal didn't sign a deal with Frontier soon enough before Fallen Kingdom's launch, so JWE launched in the shape it was in. I mean, we couldn't even cancel research or incubations at launch. /sigh

The issue Frontier is facing is that they need to support JWE and provide it with meaningful content and support. Releasing a 3-dino pack and charging for them won't cut it. The way they released the Secrets of Dr. Wu as a paid DLC was already a risky gamble and from my experiences with it, the lacking features in JWE really made that DLC tedious and unable to live up to its potential. Granted, they did a good job with the genetic modifications, but most my gripes with that one were on the Tacano Research Facility where you sat around and did nothing 90% of the time, or did stuff that was extremely predictable and simplistic. The one big surprise being the Spinoraptor that you couldn't tranq which was a clever and interesting challenge if it wasn't spoiled for you. Those terrain tools and decorations have to make it in this game no questions asked, I would argue they have to really improve the quality of animations, AI, and add new behaviors like pack hunting before they can move onto JWE 2.

Players won't buy into the game a second time if they feel they are just going to get piecemeal content. The marketing hook for selling JWE 2 are marine and flying reptiles, they said their focus on JWE was on terrestrial dinosaurs, so they need to deliver on them and add some more interesting gameplay opportunities, they got until 2021 to deliver on that, plenty of time. If speculation of early summer being terrain tools, the decorations can't be far behind and those are way easier to implement, after that they got the second half of the year and all of 2020 to work on dino AI and animation work and some general gameplay enhancement and improvement.

There are many things they can technically do, but due to time and monetary restraints they might be unwilling to do. The marine and flying reptiles could feasibly exist in JWE the work done to the engine it actually get it done, on the other hand, that is a seismic task and might not be worth the effort/interruption to the work flow. So it seems more plausible they would spin it off for its own project.

If they want to do more beyond that, I would be interested in seeing where it goes.

The Cobra Engine is Frontier's in-house game engine. Its pretty common for companies particularly the mid to large ones to invest in developing their own game engine to run their games. Planet Coaster, Elite Dangerous, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo, all of Frontier's games are run on some variant of the Cobra Engine. Each new game Frontier builds on the last adding improvements and more capabilities pretty standard fare unless you are EA. In EA's case you just try to force Frostbite Engine to run everything in all sorts of different genres which inevitably leads to problems. The Cobra Engine works so well because Frontier tends to focus on simulation/park builder games, whereas EA has problems because Frostbite was built for First-Person Shooters but expected to run RPGs and Sports titles as well.

So just to reiterate while its technically possible to make a game engine support all sorts of things, it is often a lot of work and may not be worth it to use an engine that wasn't designed with the genre of game you have in mind otherwise you will wind up with a game like Anthem running on an engine with no native support for functionality common in RPGs, but unnecessary in FPS titles. You could say that in Frontier's case, the marine and flying reptiles aren't planned for addition into JWE because the functionality was never needed before this game and thus the Cobra Engine has to be heavily modified in order to accommodate the functions needed for Frontier to develop and implement them. The best opportunity to get this work done and pushed out is with the release of a new title which would be JWE 2 for our purposes.
I agree with you and will be very anxious awaiting the arrival of JWE2

there should be a mechanic were carnivores used trees and Forest to stalk their prey in order to avoid being seen by their prey instead of this automatic kill system used for hunting carnivores hunting hadrosaurs that have no chance in Survival.

Frontier has said many things in the past they have gone back on. Remember the whole dinosaurs sizing fiasco, they went back on that when the outrage boiled over. Its very possible that the inclusion of pack hunting might require some modifications to the Cobra Engine, but its still feasible. When you look at aquatic and flying reptiles, however, that requires significant changes to the game engine; therefore, those I can see 100% requiring some sort of sequel to be present.

This is actually a tactic Nintendo commonly uses as well, they will outright deny rumor/speculation and then later announce it after the hype has died down using it as a selling point for whatever they are doing next. The fact Frontier did it once with the dinosaur resizing, its very probable that we see pack hunting in the future although I wouldn't massively expect an overhaul of the combat system another thing they might have in a sequel. They could improve the current game's combat by adding more animations to each species and in the process making it less clear when/what attack will occur.

If they're not going to include actual pack hunting A.I/animations and such, then they should at least have a herding system for carnivores like they already do for herbivores but make it optional. I propose perhaps creating a new genome for carnivores where those who have the herding genome activated will naturally group together with other members of the same species with the same genome while those without it will remain solitary hunters. This would at least give us somewhat of an illusion of pack hunting behavior.

If they're not going to include actual pack hunting A.I/animations and such, then they should at least have a herding system for carnivores like they already do for herbivores but make it optional. I propose perhaps creating a new genome for carnivores where those who have the herding genome activated will naturally group together with other members of the same species with the same genome while those without it will remain solitary hunters. This would at least give us somewhat of an illusion of pack hunting behavior.

Er... no, it wouldn't. Pack hunting is something completely different from a mere "grouping" of animals. It implies, among other things, some level of coordination. And this not only to walk/run in the same direction.

For instance, raptors already stay close enough with the previous herding update but that only makes the "pack" of the "pack-hunting". Only when they will be able to take down an Edmontosaurus by jumping on it two or three at a time will I call that "pack-hunting".

The 1vs1 combat system is such an unrealistic, unimmersive mess and it should be reworked.

to be honest I think carnivores should hide in trees in order to sneak up on their prey instead of that ridiculous current hunting system that's currently in the game. It would be more realistic if T-Rex could sneak up on Triceratops and then surprised the Triceratops by catching it off guard in attacking its frill and then Triceratops responding by stabbing the T-Rex in the gut. Well that's what I think should happen for a new mechanic because I think trees should be used for carnivores to hunt herbivores in order to sneak up on them

Er... no, it wouldn't. Pack hunting is something completely different from a mere "grouping" of animals. It implies, among other things, some level of coordination. And this not only to walk/run in the same direction.

For instance, raptors already stay close enough with the previous herding update but that only makes the "pack" of the "pack-hunting". Only when they will be able to take down an Edmontosaurus by jumping on it two or three at a time will I call that "pack-hunting".

I know that, I'm not a moron but I'm saying that it's better than nothing if proper pack hunting can't be done. It's easier to pretend that a group of carnivores are coordinating an attack together when they're at least...you know, TOGETHER. There's zero chance of any illusion of pack hunting if all of the carnivores keep wandering off a mile away from each other. Obviously it won't be close an actual proper pack hunting mechanic, but it's better than nothing as far as I'm concerned.

I know that, I'm not a moron but I'm saying that it's better than nothing if proper pack hunting can't be done. It's easier to pretend that a group of carnivores are coordinating an attack together when they're at least...you know, TOGETHER. There's zero chance of any illusion of pack hunting if all of the carnivores keep wandering off a mile away from each other. Obviously it won't be close an actual proper pack hunting mechanic, but it's better than nothing as far as I'm concerned.

But the point is, that's already ingame. Raptors stick together and that's all. Although the herding mechanic definitively needs improvement.

But the point is, that's already ingame. Raptors stick together and that's all. Although the herding mechanic definitively needs improvement.

I'm not talking about just raptors, but any carnivore. It'd be nice to have the option to allow other carnivores such as Allosaurus and Giganotosaurus to stick with other members of the same species.

I'm not talking about just raptors, but any carnivore. It'd be nice to have the option to allow other carnivores such as Allosaurus and Giganotosaurus to stick with other members of the same species.
From what I’ve seen it just depends on the size of either the enclosure or the other dinosaur species nearby. Like if you have Acros and Carchars in the same enclosure, they are bound to stick together due to competition for food. Just what I have seen. If there is no threats directly challenging them they will split up and just roam solitary, unless coming to feed or fight for dominance.

From what I’ve seen it just depends on the size of either the enclosure or the other dinosaur species nearby. Like if you have Acros and Carchars in the same enclosure, they are bound to stick together due to competition for food. Just what I have seen. If there is no threats directly challenging them they will split up and just roam solitary, unless coming to feed or fight for dominance.

Well, I was referring more in terms of open sandbox mode(Site B-esque) than enclosures.

I read most of the answers, I think if Frontier will be two years older in the game, the JWE 2 does not seem right for the year 2021, it would be a very bad marketing decision. I think that an expansion that improves the current deficiencies of the AI in the near future would be the most appropriate for the game, anyway, at the moment I am not interested in implementing flying reptiles or marine animals, or babies or anything that is really unnecessary to leave the base game as promised. Where did you get the information that the current consoles can not support certain features that, as a community, we have been requesting?

I still keep my hopes intact that Frontier will do a good job so that this game is as close to what we want and as a fan of this franchise i want it to bea The best game of this saga so loved by so many, so without preamble I say goodbye

Last edited:
Leí la mayoría de las respuestas, creo que si Frontier cumplirá dos años más en el juego, el JWE 2 no parece correcto para el año 2021, sería una muy mala decisión de marketing. Creo que una expansión que mejore las deficiencias actuales de la IA en un futuro próximo sería la más apropiada para el juego, de todas formas, por el momento no estoy interesado en implementar reptiles voladores o animales marinos, o bebés o cualquier cosa que sea Realmente innecesario para dejar el juego base como prometido. ¿De dónde obtuvo la información que las consolas actuales no pueden soportar ciertas características que, como comunidad, hemos estado solicitando?

Todavía mantengo mis esperanzas intactas de que Frontier hará un buen trabajo para que este juego sea lo más cercano a lo que queremos y como fanático de esta franquicia, para que esta empresa logre lo que se propone, como imagen, sería la imagen. El mejor juego de esta saga tan amada por tantos, así que sin preámbulos me despido.
Added Google translation.
Please post in English only on this forum.

Top Bottom