Improving Surface in flight exploration

Hi guys.

So ... I've done a lot of surface exploration lately, while looking for Barnacles, and I think the experience could be enhanced dramatically.

-> Get rid of the blue circle thingy that blows up on the radar. It's bad. It's doesn't help the pilot. It's time consuming. It's everything a pilot assist should not be.

-> Install something on ships , similar to the SRV visually (reg. reading technique, not placement, placement can be the circular scope we have on ships); More limited : just big POIs for example (ship wrecks, buildings, etc) ; need to fly straight and low level.

That kind of surface radar has been around for ages. Doppler based or Electromagnetic, you name it, it has been done for a while.

It could be placed instead of a SRV or instead of an internal module.

It would greatly improve immersion , be more fun (chasing that blue bubble is NOT FUN), more efficient (going up to get the blue bubble and back down to see what the heck is going on is time consuming, not reliable and... did I mention NOT FUN ? )

Anyway. That's something I feel really strongly about. I love the planetary exploration and that blue bubble gameplay ruins. Have to realy on my own eyes, it's fun for a while, but let's face it, it takes forever and it so 18th century..

Cheers, just trying to help make the game better :)

Last edited:
Bump. Because this thing still annoys me.

This is not a game mechanic you get good at. It's something you try to learn to cope with.

One of those times when FD mixed up "annoying" and "challenging".

It's counter intuitive, counter productive, it counters everything that makes for good gameplay.

Get rid of those blue bubbles please !

Lestat

Banned
I'll keep that in mind if I ever decide to bump a post. In this case though I was voicing support for this game suggestion. Are you supporting it too? ;)
No was pointing out The the Op Post.
Bump. Because this thing still annoys me.

Now do I support the idea? No. But I do live in the mountains forest. But we have people who become lost easy. You know if the person don't have the right gear and it can take days to find those people and some times we find them dead or never find them. You would think a plane or drone could find them easy. But it take a group of up to a few 100 to a few thousands volunteers. Plus Planes and Drones to find someone. Even at that it not a guarantee that we will find them.

We have a player complaining about a blue zone on a planet flying alone.

The problem aren't the blue dots, the problem is that we are limited to extremely low speeds given the surface area we're trying to cover.

Sure, flying at 250m/s beats going over the surface at 30m/s, you can still fly 2h straight and not find a single thing. Well outside the bubble atleast, inside are the chances way higher.

What we really need is being able to see the POIs on the radar while in very low orbital cruise.
We also need way better intrumentation for orbital cruise because there are things I never know:
- at what altitude will the drop happen?         if I know, the altimeter only has a mark for it without a number
- what speed am I allowed at most to prevent glide failure? Same thing, I've had descents where I was going at the planet with 100% throttle and was fine, and at others I smacked into it with 50%. NO THANKS to the "TOO FAST" warning which ONLY shows up 2sec BEFORE you smack into the goddamn thing.

The whole orbital speed mechanic is totally effed up, it varies WAY too much without actually telling WHAT it currently is.
And the other day I was descending on a giant of a planet with 2.2g and 18x earthsize and I spend over a whole minute in descent and I felt like I was already out of OC with how slow I was moving slower, and that was with 50% throttle, I'd have used more but I had the game go too often "oh you're going too fast now, hf with your damage and OC failure" to dare more <_<
Wouldn't be surprised if I had been able to go 100% and be fine... But out in the deep do I rather not smack my hull and reactor up. Stupid AFM being unable to fix these...

So anyways, back to the original issue, the blue markers should be shown in low alt OC where the radar changes modes similarly how it changes to surface mode if low enough. Maybe at an altitude of 1.5x drop alt?
So if the drop is at 20km you can use the low alt OC radar at 20-30km. That would allow for much faster scouting for a round idea of a POI after which you can then go in detail.

That or just make the goddamn DSS be useful and pop some POIs up on the surface map.

Top Bottom