Incentive(s) for playing in Open..

When you're talking about radars that instantly reveal the location of a target you are asking for easy win buttons. Right now in the game you've got the Kill Warrant Scanner, the bounty boards, and out of game tools like Inara to track your targets. There's also experience and creative problem solving to help you.

Improving instancing, especially between Commanders in different parts of the world, would be a huge help as well.

But just off the top of my head I'd like to see in game platform specific bounty boards and a way to perhaps mark one target so you don't have to return to a bounty board to check their location again.

The OP is obviously interested in improving the Open experience for explorers. How did you miss that?
The radar suggestion was a joke, but yes i agree the bounty boards and inaras security report are useful. I was simply asking to bring a tool like inra into the game, or like you are saying a bounty board of sorts. expanding the notoriety system to feed into the board. I was simply implying that should someones have enough reports against them by other players who where destroyed without returning fire the aggressor would eventually have a faction wide notice out for their head.

The radar suggestion was a joke, but yes i agree the bounty boards and inaras security report are useful. I was simply asking to bring a tool like inra into the game, or like you are saying a bounty board of sorts. expanding the notoriety system to feed into the board. I was simply implying that should someones have enough reports against them by other players who where destroyed without returning fire the aggressor would eventually have a faction wide notice out for their head.

It'd be nice if Inara's "Galactic Security Report" was in game too! Split by platform, hopefully... or heck, get us cross play already.

But to get back on topic, the kind of thinking that goes into bounty hunting and criminal activity is useful for explorers as well. Knowing your enemy, and all that.

I was always told that open is the best mode, the incentive being player interactions and the unexpected situations that can occur.

Was I lied to? Do people need to be incentivised to play in Open? If so, there must be something fundamentally wrong to play in the mode where so many amazing things can happen.

When you're talking about radars that instantly reveal the location of a target you are asking for easy win buttons. Right now in the game you've got the Kill Warrant Scanner, the bounty boards, and out of game tools like Inara to track your targets. There's also experience and creative problem solving to help you.

Improving instancing, especially between Commanders in different parts of the world, would be a huge help as well.

But just off the top of my head I'd like to see in game platform specific bounty boards and a way to perhaps mark one target so you don't have to return to a bounty board to check their location again.

The OP is obviously interested in improving the Open experience for explorers. How did you miss that?

Your suggestion doesn't improve Open for explorers, it's just common sense - and it doesn't deal with the issue that explorer death means the loss of a far, far bigger time investment than any other profession. Even in a bubble-ready ship, an explorer who gets clonked is still losing a big chunk of their time.

Your suggestion doesn't improve Open for explorers, it's just common sense - and it doesn't deal with the issue that explorer death means the loss of a far, far bigger time investment than any other profession. Even in a bubble-ready ship, an explorer who gets clonked is still losing a big chunk of their time.

That's why you fly a Bubble ready ship and use your brain at the appropriate time. That way, you don't get clonked. Just ask the folks that had no issue dealing with Distant Ganks 2.

Way better than waiting on FDEV.

That's why you fly a Bubble ready ship and use your brain at the appropriate time. That way, you don't get clonked. Just ask the folks that had no issue dealing with Distant Ganks 2.

I know this, but considering things, the fact that the loss potential is so much greater is the problem I have - not that some explorers are too clueless to avoid interdiction like 90% of serious players. Not that I'm an explorer, I just like arguing about mostly inconsequential things on message boards.

On the surface this make sense, but my understanding is only at PP rank 5 do you see any great bonus to exploration data sell price. Otherwise exploration data sell price is the same accross the board. so the station where you stuffed your bubble ready ship has less effectiveness if you can just sell the data at that port.

Maybe just a lesson learned experience. Once you lose that much time, in the future all visits to the bubble to hand in large amounts of time (data) will be in Solo, or in Open play it will be a white knuckle approach with an eagle eye for any holo boxes on the radar, and jumping out at the first sign of a potential threat. Basically being the most paranoid pilot and highwaking when someone sneezes in the same system.

On the surface this make sense, but my understanding is only at PP rank 5 do you see any great bonus to exploration data sell price. Otherwise exploration data sell price is the same accross the board. so the station where you stuffed your bubble ready ship has less effectiveness if you can just sell the data at that port.

I think the exploration data bonus is only with Li Young Rui, right?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean at the end there. When I say hop into a stashed ship I mean, for example, I'm out and about in my DBX exploring and then stop at whatever low traffic system I've previously chosen and get in my FDL. Exploration data is transferred to my FDL then I go on to my true, final destination.

Of course, this only matters if you care where the data gets sold (say, to help unlock an Engineer or BGS work). If it doesn't matter, find the most out of the way backwater you can. Literally no excuse to lose your data.

Maybe just a lesson learned experience. Once you lose that much time, in the future all visits to the bubble to hand in large amounts of time (data) will be in Solo, or in Open play it will be a white knuckle approach with an eagle eye for any holo boxes on the radar, and jumping out at the first sign of a potential threat. Basically being the most paranoid pilot and highwaking when someone sneezes in the same system.

Frankly, that's how Open should be played. Unless you know and trust the person or are in a completely safe position assume potential hostile! :ROFLMAO:

I think the exploration data bonus is only with Li Young Rui, right?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean at the end there. When I say hop into a stashed ship I mean, for example, I'm out and about in my DBX exploring and then stop at whatever low traffic system I've previously chosen and get in my FDL. Exploration data is transferred to my FDL then I go on to my true, final destination.

Of course, this only matters if you care where the data gets sold (say, to help unlock an Engineer or BGS work). If it doesn't matter, find the most out of the way backwater you can. Literally no excuse to lose your data.
Right that was exactly my point. Unless you have a motive to sell the data at one station over another, any out of the way station will buy the exploration data. So the stashed bubble ready ship is really for that special situation where you need to sell the data for Li Young for to help the BGS.

I bounced around in Open when I first started playing ED. Saw the odd CMDR, but thought little of it at the time. Now I play in PG, and have met CMDRs, especially at CG locations. But we've all had the same goal, and no one got blown up for no reason.

I am currently on an exploration journey, with a decent stash of carto data. My ship has survived 1000s of LY of travel, and an idiot pilot, but if I encountered a remotely PVP-orientated CMDR, I would be space dust in seconds. I have no desire to lose that data due to someone else's inadequacies, so will play it may way in the PG/Solo, as do other CMDRs who play in Open and get their thrills by blowing up unarmed ships.

I don't want insurance on my carto data, if I cause the ship to explode due to my own actions, I expect to lose data or bounties. But, I can avoid human CMDRs who want to blow me up for no reason, so I do. Even if there was some way for me to recover my data after losing my ship, it is no incentive to play in Open. I am aware that I can lose my data, but, I can control the chances or cause of that data being lost, so I do.

Right that was exactly my point. Unless you have a motive to sell the data at one station over another, any out of the way station will buy the exploration data. So the stashed bubble ready ship is really for that special situation where you need to sell the data for Li Young for to help the BGS.

Right on! We're on the same page. Nice.

So where the hell are all these explorers getting killed and why do so many of them go there? :ROFLMAO:

And the internal ones too. Did you miss that part?

Seriously, how much do you rely on out of game tools and player coop. It was years ago since I bothered trying but given the track record I can’t believe you can get a satisfactory experience now using the in game tools alone

I bounced around in Open when I first started playing ED. Saw the odd CMDR, but thought little of it at the time. Now I play in PG, and have met CMDRs, especially at CG locations. But we've all had the same goal, and no one got blown up for no reason.

I am currently on an exploration journey, with a decent stash of carto data. My ship has survived 1000s of LY of travel, and an idiot pilot, but if I encountered a remotely PVP-orientated CMDR, I would be space dust in seconds. I have no desire to lose that data due to someone else's inadequacies, so will play it may way in the PG/Solo, as do other CMDRs who play in Open and get their thrills by blowing up unarmed ships.

I don't want insurance on my carto data, if I cause the ship to explode due to my own actions, I expect to lose data or bounties. But, I can avoid human CMDRs who want to blow me up for no reason, so I do. Even if there was some way for me to recover my data after losing my ship, it is no incentive to play in Open. I am aware that I can lose my data, but, I can control the chances or cause of that data being lost, so I do.
This is the best solution i have seen many CMDR's use. Giving explorers a reason to play in open is not going to be an easy task when the path of lease resistance is available in other game modes. Increasing the payout in open would just be a loophole, dock in a station in solo, enter open mode and sell data for more. Playing in solo avoids one thing, Other players.
Fear of losing time spent collecting data keeps explorers in solo. I doubt any amount of incentive will change that

So where the hell are all these explorers getting killed and why do so many of them go there? :ROFLMAO:

That's really my question too. People are somehow making a concerted effort to go to Kill Land Supreme to sell their data, rather than stopping at, like LHS 374392 (dunno if that's a real system but you get the point) and dropping it off to the local pack of random democrats.

Top Bottom