Incrementally Improving PowerPlay - Make PowerPlay Open-Only

Yes, but it does that on a voluntary basis
Some people find some activities more enjoyable in open with oposition.
Some do not.

And as it is now, both player types can enjoy the game.
So it's all based on personal choice not based on forced open only or by penalizing players for certain play choices (as in playing in solo)

The choice is to make NPCs much harder (so hauling is not 100% efficent in solo / PG) or to let players do it. Either way, defence needs to be harder and attack easier- the worst way you could do that is by upping the numbers and making it even more grindy...you need something else to attenuate the problem.

Some do not.

So it's all based on personal choice not based on forced open only or by penalizing players for certain play choices (as in playing in solo)

I believe the open only proposal revolves around the idea that those who don't want PvP have other activities they can do (BGS or whatever) while giving those who want a feature where PvP is not optional, where PvP encounters are likely, something to do, something where they can do their business knowing they might see those who are opposing them.

Personally, i don't like the idea of restricting features by mode, unless FD were to compensate the other modes with features that can't be had in Open. I've suggested NPC wingmen as an option before, and it makes some sense, since in Open (and yes, PG) you can wing up, but you can't in solo.

What i would love most though is some communication from FD to say, once and for ever, categorially, either they will never make Powerplay Open Only or whether it is something they are definitely interested in doing (with usual disclaimers, when there is time, etc).

At least then if FD got off the pot on this topic it might let people like Rubbernuke and co known if there is a chance of getting what they want. Without such a statement we end up like we are now. Going around in circles, year after year, discussing whether its a good idea or not, without even knowing if FD are willing to do it.

Some do not.

Can we have one activity in Elite in which PVP actually matters, have a meaning, can change the outcome of things and cannot be bypassed by a clicking a safety button? Just one activity, please. This is what this proposal is about, and we're almost there, just need to fix the "PVP can be bypassed" thing. And yeah, I'm all for personal choice, Powerplay is completely opt-in.

The choice is to make NPCs much harder (so hauling is not 100% efficent in solo / PG) or to let players do it. Either way, defence needs to be harder and attack easier- the worst way you could do that is by upping the numbers and making it even more grindy...you need something else to attenuate the problem.

Grrrr... Combat Zones! Most annoying change ever.

But those who want harder NPCs should always remember, not everyone wants Dark Souls in space.

Thanks for the response.

But i'm not sure if it will help with bots. With how easy credits are, someone could leave a bot to run 24/7 and eat rebuys without an issue. There will be huge gaps in any defenses at various times of the day, plus the vargaries of instancing come in to play. Furthermore, if someone is willing to cheat using bots, they will totally be willing to cheat using firewall rules. You'd still never see them. And, if in fact, being open only would reduce the amount hauled by regular players (which is the expected outcome right, due to people being stopped), that would then tip the scales even further in favour of those running bots.

Let's assume for example, that the most flagrant botters are supporting your beloved princess (yes yes, i know, the bad people are always on the other side, everyone on our side is good. Everyone on our side is already in open. Its the other side hiding in solo... i've heard it all before) then those botters will benefit your side by a decent margin. Furthermore, it will upset the other sides when they see massive gains on your side when they don't see the ships, so you would start getting accusations that your side are cheating.

Food for thought perhaps?

As the cycle progresses activity increases in Powerplay areas- in an ideal world if there were more places to fight over (and not simply consolidate each week) you'd see more and more people funnel in. The proposed changes from FD would do this via changing fort direction as well as introduce uncapped UM.

Can we have one activity in Elite in which PVP actually matters, have a meaning, can change the outcome of things and cannot be bypassed by a clicking a safety button? Just one activity, please. This is what this proposal is about, and we're almost there, just need to fix the "PVP can be bypassed" thing. And yeah, I'm all for personal choice, Powerplay is completely opt-in.

I was giving your post serious thought until you said safety button. Your disregard for people who play in a different mode indicates i shouldn't give your desires any regards either.

Grrrr... Combat Zones! Most annoying change ever.

But those who want harder NPCs should always remember, not everyone wants Dark Souls in space.

Powerplay uses old school CZs, which are really like that to be farmable (since its a source of expansion merits for combat powers). The problem with them is that they are unending which allows for AFK turretboating- its why a lot of people ask FD to hybridize old and new.

The current mode is also open to abuse by botters, isn't it?
Like pretty every game feature in a competitive game where there is no active policing.

Variant 2 would be quite hard to be abused if people would be prevented from Power hopping so easily.
For example, if you leave a power, you cannot join another one for 4 weeks.
Sure, the means to gain PP modules would have to be changed as well.

Open Only wouldn't fix botters, as i just pointed out.

It would be trivial to abuse option 2. At least bots have to travel from A to B, there is a limit. Collusion between players or even players with multiple accounts would result in those willing to do anything to win simply blowing each other up with abandon, outearning everyone who is trying to play properly.

Powerplay uses old school CZs, which are really like that to be farmable (since its a source of expansion merits for combat powers). The problem with them is that they are unending which allows for AFK turretboating- its why a lot of people ask FD to hybridize old and new.

That's a fair enough suggestion, but ideally to tweak the AI, not make bullet sponges.

I believe the open only proposal revolves around the idea that those who don't want PvP have other activities they can do (BGS or whatever)

Yea, but the ones that want to do PP from solo would not be able to do it. And suddenly it's no longer the game they payed for.
And the moment the Modes are no longer used to filter players out, but to deny people certain game features, then the things will take a really ugly turn with more and more request of open only this and open only that...

Yea, but the ones that want to do PP from solo would not be able to do it. And suddenly it's no longer the game they payed for.
And the moment the Modes are no longer used to filter players out, but to deny people certain game features, then the things will take a really ugly turn with more and more request of open only this and open only that...

Then FD just say no- like they did (three times). There is no danger of the BGS going open because its simply not designed that way unlike Powerplay which has features that are.

Yes, hence why i proposed to have merits gained only by PVP kills.
This change will make PP a pure PVP activity.

Yes, hence why i proposed to have merits gained only by PVP kills.
This change will make PP a pure PVP activity.

Which only makes sense in a CQC like 1:1 arena. You can't guarantee how ED will instance so its better to design for opportunistic PvP (which then is about stopping others earning).

That's a fair enough suggestion, but ideally to tweak the AI, not make bullet sponges.

Well, i already said, for almost a year if not more, that PP CZ should be converted to use normal CZ ending means - with objectives and a well defined ending condition
So an afk turret boat is no longer a viable choice to get pp merits.

For quite a while - 4-5 weeks i think i used to kill 500 ships in a PP cz to maintain my rating 5.
But it is mind numbing boring kill fest and i gave up eventually...

Which only makes sense in a CQC like 1:1 arena. You can't guarantee how ED will instance so its better to design for opportunistic PvP (which then is about stopping others earning).

Well... guess you just found out why ED is not a PVP game.
Just a PVE game where pvp is sometimes possible and why forcing people to pvp is not a wise choice...

But who knows, maybe they can throw PP signed commanders in a CQC like instance so they can fight in there instead of creating a random instance in normal space where other non-pp-involved commanders can follow an ruin their PP dream combat...

I'm sorry but if you think the proposal in the OP would remove PVE from PP and make it a pure PVP activity, you might need to read it again.

No... the OP just want more player targets in open. Nothing more.
an old chorus we hear so often here.

He just thinks that an Open only whatever feature will work with the current ED networking architecture.
It's just being naïve

Last edited:
No... the OP just want more player targets in open. Nothing more.
an old chorus we hear so often here.

He just thinks that an Open only whatever feature will work with the current ED networking architecture.
It's just being naïve
Heh, the "old chorus". It's funny how some people (you're not the only one) come here not to discuss the current proposal, with which they are free to agree or disagree, but to continue discussing old threads.

I know the person posting the OP and he doesn't do PVP at all, so if this is just about having "more player targets in Open" I'd suggest you to ask yourself why someone who only hauls in PP could possibly want it to be Open Only. If you find it hard to understand give the OP another read.

Top Bottom