2. Lowland Anoa
3. Lesser Mouse Deer
4. Maroon Leaf Monkey
5. Maleo
6. Fishing Cat
7. Bornean Bearded Pig
8. Earless Monitor Lizard(Exhibit)

Last edited:
I love monkeys, but this is too many for a single pack. Definitely not enough diversity. I'd replace one of them with a chevrotain, such as the lesser mouse deer. The bay cat is also a rather odd choice, considering the only known captive specimen is at the Taman Safari in Indonesia - why not the fishing cat?

I agree what mr fanatic said, but damn the bearded pig is a nice choice. Really sad that right now it seems like they are getting outsourced by european and northamerican zoos

The mountain anoa is also not a good choice as the species maybe already is extinct with only one specimen left in a German zoo.
The lowland anoa would be a better choice.

Well, IUCN says there are 0 to 2,500 specimens left and officially they are still listed as "endangered" (EN) but there haven't been any sightings for many years now (I couldn't find out when there was the last official sighting though), so unfortunately it could be possible that the male in Krefeld is the last one on earth.
It's not sure though if there are still any mountain anoas in Indonesian zoos.

Last edited:
Well, IUCN says there are 0 to 2,500 specimens left and officially they are still listed as "endangered" (EN) but there haven't been any sightings for many years now (I couldn't find out when there was the last official sighting), so unfortunately it could be possible that the male in Krefeld is the last one on earth.
It's not sure though if there are any mountain anoas in Indonesian zoos.
I think you're putting too much weight on a throwaway stat. In the population section they go into greater detail:
Too few data exist to precisely quantify the current abundance of Mountain Anoa. Nevertheless, Anoa still appear to be distributed relatively widely within their known current range on Sulawesi. However, there is little doubt that they have been in decline (i.e., there has been a decrease in their range and abundance) since the end of the 19th century. They have declined over the 1980 to 2000 period (ca. three generations), precipitously in some areas. The population size is unknown because there have been no island-wide or regional surveys which have attempted to estimate this, even for the largest populations. Estimating the population size is further complicated by the uncertain distribution of the two Anoa species. It is thought that there are fewer than 2,500 mature individuals. There have been declines of this species throughout Sulawesi, especially in the southern and northeastern peninsulas, with the decline attributed to hunting for meat and habitat loss (Indonesian Ministry of Forestry 2013, Burton et al. 2005). Most populations are becoming rapidly fragmented, suggesting that conservation of viable populations may soon require management of metapopulations (Burton et al. 2005). It is thought no subpopulation exceeds 250 mature individuals. The current status of the species is consequently a matter for concern because even the subpopulations in large protected areas (e.g., Lore Lindu National Park) and other large forest blocks are reported to be in decline as a result of heavy hunting pressure. There are two areas where the declines have been most serious, Gorontalo and Buol Toli-Toli (G. Semiadi pers. comm. 2006). Overall, the rate of decline is not well known, however, based on distribution surveys and questionnaires, the range of this species is retreating to the central parts of forested areas. The rate of population decline across their range is thought to be 20% over two generations (generation length of 7 to 9 years).
Basically there's no doubt that the Mountain Anoa survives in the wild, it's just very difficult to properly estimate their current population and it is probably less than 2,500 animals. Citing the number of individuals as 0-2,500 is a bit of an unusual choice on their part though.

EDIT: Upon checking the IUCN profile for the Lowland Anoa, it looks like they've conflated the population info of the two, which makes things a bit confusing, and it seems the 2,500 figure is applicable to the total population of both species. However, this line is notable:
Since the Lowland Anoa inhabits more accessible areas than the Mountain Anoa, the threats to this species, and thus the declines, are considered more serious for this species than for the Mountain Anoa.
Obviously they wouldn't be saying this if the Mountain Anoa was potentially extinct.

Last edited:
@Chuditch: Well, the German wikipedia page says that the species haven't been seen in a while and there is the possibility the one mountain anoa in Krefeld could be the last one on earth. I know Wikipedia is not always the best source but they put a link to a survey as a source for this. I just haven't got the time to look further into it.
In addition, the IUCN profile is not up-to-date as it says there are two mountain anoa males left in Europe which is definetely not true. It seems they made the last update 2013 (because the last sources there are from this year), so the information there are a bit outdated.

Top Bottom