Horizons Input please - POI spawns on planets

Hello community

I need your input please. I'm told that this topic has received attention on this forum already, so apologies to those who think it's put to bed. I can't see a similar thread in recent weeks so I thought I'd bring it up anew.

I'm exploring, currently about 26,000 light years from human space. I love exploring because of the sense of visiting places never before seen, of being a pioneer. In this trip I've landed on two planets. On the first, at 23,000 light years from Sol, I hopped in my SRV and sped off into the unknown. Within five minutes my wave scanner started pinging - and guided me to a crashed nav beacon.

23,000 light years is a totally different part of the galaxy to human space. There is no plausible reason for this to be there.

The second planet I visited was 25,000 light years from human space, in a system the System Map told me had never been discovered before. Again, within five minutes my wave scanner started pinging and guided me to... a crashed ship with two occupied escape pods and a canister of narcotics.

Poof, there goes the sense of being a pioneer, of boldly going where nobody has ever gone. It was like venturing deep into unexplored, virgin Amazonian rainforest and travelling for days without seeing another soul, only to stumble across a burnt out Vauxhall Nova.

There are over 400 billion systems in the galaxy, which means the number of landable planets will be into the trillions. There is absolutely no chance that you'd find human detritus within five minutes of landing on every planet you see on the other side of the galaxy.

I appreciate the list of development priorities is long, so what I'd like to do is gauge the community's feelings on this. Personally, the sense of what is means to be an explorer - venturing for weeks into the unknown and visiting systems never before visited - is ruined when you stumble across the space equivalent of a discarded fridge on every planet you see. I would like to see the spawn chance for anything of human origin drop to near zero as soon as you get beyond 1,000 light years from Sol.

If you agree that this should be changed, could you please comment below? What I'd like to do is see whether there is broad agreement on this, and if so, highlight this to the dev team.

Many thanks in advance!

Tom

You will be getting Rep for this...

At roughly the same time you posted this I was setting the ship down next to a crash site some 10k LY out. I looked at it and after taking off I soon discovered another...

Take 30 mins to fly round any world and all you'll find are the remains of humanity! The odd one I could handle but every planet in every system for the entire galaxy...

It's not often I have a legitimate gripe with the game, being a true fanboy, but this is a bit, no this is absolutely stupid game design - Please lower the RNG trigger for POI's outside the bubble to make them a real rarity.

As it is I am the 3 billionth explorer to visit any world, the only difference is I plan to make it back alive.

We need a differant set of POI for outside the bubble. Stuff that doenst got anything to do with human life.

Agreed. That's a good suggestion. At the very least, the RNG needs to take into account distance from Sol.

A human relic every couple of miles on every planet in the galaxy is just wrong.

Hello community

I need your input please. I'm told that this topic has received attention on this forum already, so apologies to those who think it's put to bed. I can't see a similar thread in recent weeks so I thought I'd bring it up anew.

I'm exploring, currently about 26,000 light years from human space. I love exploring because of the sense of visiting places never before seen, of being a pioneer. In this trip I've landed on two planets. On the first, at 23,000 light years from Sol, I hopped in my SRV and sped off into the unknown. Within five minutes my wave scanner started pinging - and guided me to a crashed nav beacon.

23,000 light years is a totally different part of the galaxy to human space. There is no plausible reason for this to be there.

The second planet I visited was 25,000 light years from human space, in a system the System Map told me had never been discovered before. Again, within five minutes my wave scanner started pinging and guided me to... a crashed ship with two occupied escape pods and a canister of narcotics.

Poof, there goes the sense of being a pioneer, of boldly going where nobody has ever gone. It was like venturing deep into unexplored, virgin Amazonian rainforest and travelling for days without seeing another soul, only to stumble across a burnt out Vauxhall Nova.

There are over 400 billion systems in the galaxy, which means the number of landable planets will be into the trillions. There is absolutely no chance that you'd find human detritus within five minutes of landing on every planet you see on the other side of the galaxy.

I appreciate the list of development priorities is long, so what I'd like to do is gauge the community's feelings on this. Personally, the sense of what is means to be an explorer - venturing for weeks into the unknown and visiting systems never before visited - is ruined when you stumble across the space equivalent of a discarded fridge on every planet you see. I would like to see the spawn chance for anything of human origin drop to near zero as soon as you get beyond 1,000 light years from Sol.

If you agree that this should be changed, could you please comment below? What I'd like to do is see whether there is broad agreement on this, and if so, highlight this to the dev team.

Many thanks in advance!

Tom

That ship with those escape pods around might be the famous ship "High on the void" which disappeared in 3250. Its rumored that they went out from Mars with 5 tons of LSD on board, and there by the 1 ton of narcotics found nearby. It must have been one hell of a trip :D

Yes I agree it needs changing. My expectation that it ever will is sadly not high - ED is taking a very "gamey" direction in my view, and this is merely another aspect of this fact.

FDEV already confirmed that spawn rates get addressed in 2.1.

However that will not fix the real problem - the lack of a scanning mechanic from space/orbit. If this would be implemented we could make POIs very rare (like they should be) without making it impossible to find them.

1. Scan the system to find planets.
2. Scan planet and get notified that your compute found an anomaly.
3. Use detailed surface scanner from orbit to get an idea where to look, add some sort of scanning mini game like they did with the wave scanner.
4. Get better scanner results during planetary flight.
5. Finally find the anomaly with your wave scanner.
6. Since finding stuff is now rare and requires effort increase their value/make them more meaningful.

FDEV already confirmed that spawn rates get addressed in 2.1.

However that will not fix the real problem - the lack of a scanning mechanic from space/orbit. If this would be implemented we could make POIs very rare (like they should be) without making it impossible to find them.

1. Scan the system to find planets.
2. Scan planet and get notified that your compute found an anomaly.
3. Use detailed surface scanner from orbit to get an idea where to look, add some sort of scanning mini game like they did with the wave scanner.
4. Get better scanner results during planetary flight.
5. Finally find the anomaly with your wave scanner.
6. Since finding stuff is now rare and requires effort increase their value/make them more meaningful.

Something like this would certainly make POIs more meaningful, and interesting. It is beyond my understanding how the current implementation was ever even considered to be release ready.

Something like this would certainly make POIs more meaningful, and interesting. It is beyond my understanding how the current implementation was ever even considered to be release ready.

It's a place holder like every other mechanic in game. They have a ten year plan and you can either wait until they are finished or you play the unfinished version we already got. I prefer the unfinished version because I want to play a space game :)

A good example is the missions system, they overhaul it with every major patch and it looks like we'll get the biggest improvement with 2.1. Some people say that FDEV is lazy and doesn't care about improving the place holder mechanics, IMO that's not true, the game changed dramatically over the last year. Sometimes I wish there would be a legacy mode where you are able to play with 1.0, everyone who thinks FDEV isn't interested in improving core features could play this version ;)

It's a place holder like every other mechanic in game. They have a ten year plan and you can either wait until they are finished or you play the unfinished version we already got. I prefer the unfinished version because I want to play a space game :)

A good example is the missions system, they overhaul it with every major patch and it looks like we'll get the biggest improvement with 2.1. Some people say that FDEV is lazy and doesn't care about improving the place holder mechanics, IMO that's not true, the game changed dramatically over the last year. Sometimes I wish there would be a legacy mode where you are able to play with 1.0, everyone who thinks FDEV isn't interested in improving core features could play this version ;)

Please stop with the 10 year development plan excuses. There is no reason for each update to incorporate a new mechanic that is placeholder and not thought out properly. A 10 year plan is fine for expanding the game and tweaking things but continually dropping new things which are incomplete with a so-called promise to fix it down the line is nonsense. Horizons wasn't ready for release nor was the original game and this pattern unfortunately is going to continue. It would be nice to see them actually finish SOMETHING before moving on to the next. In my opinion the POI's are just more dumbed down, poorly thought out gameplay where everything magically appears for you and people have been complaining about it since beta.

+1

I love driving the SRV (especially since I have acquired a Tobi EyeX), but exploring is out of question at the moment for me due to the reasons mentioned in the OP. If immersion breaks I can't play the game.

Please stop with the 10 year development plan excuses. There is no reason for each update to incorporate a new mechanic that is placeholder and not thought out properly. A 10 year plan is fine for expanding the game and tweaking things but continually dropping new things which are incomplete with a so-called promise to fix it down the line is nonsense. Horizons wasn't ready for release nor was the original game and this pattern unfortunately is going to continue. It would be nice to see them actually finish SOMETHING before moving on to the next. In my opinion the POI's are just more dumbed down, poorly thought out gameplay where everything magically appears for you and people have been complaining about it since beta.
I don't think anyone is saying that its alright, simply being said that they ARE working on it, and they are adding and fixing stuff with each patch, so grabbing pitch forks and such seems a bit much.

That said, undiscovered could have crashes on it, previous explorers, that never made it back home, for example on high gravity planets especially, these explorers RATHER then having cargo, really should have materials of various sorts on them since cargo makes little to no sense, and 'occupied' escape pods, maybe should be changed to have an age range, and different type.

Aged occupied escape pod perhaps? person obviously dead (though of course those closer to civ space could still be in a sort of stasis and maybe you will get a timer to get them back to civilized space, say maybe these types would be in the range between 100-600 ly from civ space? timer to get back to a certain location? science facility? to save them?

so yeah, and other such various things could be added, in deep deep space, it might be a lost explorer, who crashed and died, but you could scan his wreckage/black box, and maybe get some explorer data from nearby star systems? (though to do this, explorers really need a way to see their exploration data)

So yeah, plenty of options to get stuff, but with the limited size of frontier's team, might take a while, and a lot of people are not willing to wait.

All we need is this...

tumblr_nkwn32Szk21roeo08o1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nkwn32Szk21roeo08o2_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nkwn32Szk21roeo08o3_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nkwn32Szk21roeo08o4_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nkwn32Szk21roeo08o5_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nkwn32Szk21roeo08o6_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nkwn32Szk21roeo08o7_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nkwn32Szk21roeo08o8_r1_1280.jpg

Please stop with the 10 year development plan excuses. There is no reason for each update to incorporate a new mechanic that is placeholder and not thought out properly. A 10 year plan is fine for expanding the game and tweaking things but continually dropping new things which are incomplete with a so-called promise to fix it down the line is nonsense.
Looks like you missed that 2.1 focus is on improving existing core mechanics.

Horizons wasn't ready for release nor was the original game and this pattern unfortunately is going to continue.
The game will be ready for release in ten years. I don't want to wait 10 years so I am happy that I can play the game now.

It would be nice to see them actually finish SOMETHING before moving on to the next.
Looks like they are doing this with 2.1

In my opinion the POI's are just more dumbed down, poorly thought out gameplay where everything magically appears for you and people have been complaining about it since beta.
I agree, that's why I posted a suggestion how to fix POIs.

Looks like you missed that 2.1 focus is on improving existing core mechanics.

Not trying to argue with you but, the point was they keep releasing things half baked. I have no doubt they will fix things over 10 years. Why not release it fully baked and move on to the next thing?

Not trying to argue with you but, the point was they keep releasing things half baked. I have no doubt they will fix things over 10 years. Why not release it fully baked and move on to the next thing?

There are many features that rely on each other, even some that aren't obvious and seem disconnected for an outsider. You can't improve certain areas before you didn't finish work on other frameworks, one simple reason is that you don't want to recode everything several times because you changed something that interferes with an already finished feature. The point is that every current feature in ED is a placeholder, nothing is finished. If they would not release their features half baked we wouldn't have a game, there would be no space ships and no galaxy. Everything we would have is a theoretical design of a flight model, because that's pretty much the only thing that doesn't need further work. I prefer to play a half baked game instead of another Duke Nukem Forever.
One example are NPC faces and the bulletin board:
We asked for them since day one and said they could just put some artworks there. But creating them does take time and this time is wasted once they get replaced with the real NPC faces they wanted to put there in the first place. The whole bulletin board is a place holder, the next bulletin board in 2.1 will be a place holder as well because they will replace it once walking around in stations gets implemented. So we can either play with a half baked feature or have no missions at all, I prefer the former.
This approach also helps them to get valuable feedback from the community. Some people think they don't listen to us but that's just not true, the list of features that got changed based on feedback is very long.

Last edited:

First we NEED This.

Secondly : I consider myself as a big fan and explorer of Elite.

I played more than 10 weeks. 1/3 of my time dedicated to exploration.

I recently performed a 70000 ly journey around the core to visit my "top list" systems with my Cutter.

I do love elite BUT :

Horizons is no more than a screenshot generator for the moment.
Deep Exploration POI are a joke. Nothing more nothing less the same as the ones in human bubble.
No mission, no artifact encounter, no first pionner evidence, no barnacles (hahaha always focusing a small nebula 300ly away from SOL).

Seriously FD : some of your most dedicated FANs over years paid huge amount of money for season 2 (or lifetime pass in my case) for having content and things to do.

We want to enjoy the huge SandBox. We want discover some rare stuff, we do not enjoy staying 300 ly away from sol to discover aliens, we want geographical POI, we want to tag ground surface with scans or something, search for rare metal, minerals, ancient stuff.

We need way more content.

And 2.1 won't bring it. Will we have to wait season 3 or 4 ?

What is your plan toward Explorers FD ?

Found reactive armor and auto-fabricators less than 1ky from Sag A.
I can only guess it is just a placeholder for now while exploration gets more development.
I really hope they put this aspect of the game on a higher priority, as it is/was the selling point for a lot of people.

Top Bottom