Integral Module - Autodock and Supercruise Assist

Every time a CMDR buy a ship he/she has a tough decision to make: which modules to use as part of a tradeoff in utility vs convenience.

Since I started playing ED, two specific modules caught my attention: the Docking Assist and Supercruise Assist. Despite the widespread critic of using "Auto-dock" as synonym of poor/lazy way to dock a ship (not to mention the occasional idea that Auto-dock using is something "sissy"), as well as a waste of an optional internal slot, I consider that module very useful in many occasions and I have it in most of my ships.

I wish to suggest the Fdevs to consider the creation of an integrated module for Auto-dock and Supercruise Assist. I mean, such "dual-function" module should be an integral part of the ship, much like the Planetary Approach module, allowing to liberate more slot options. The different options of management of those tools will still be shown at the usual CMDR panel, and he/she decides if wants to use both, just one of them or none at all.

"Auto-Pilot" is a common place in all planes, why not in space ships? I mean, why such important automatic assistants are separated from the ship's default built?

Considering the overall importance -- in space -- of computer's assistance in several issues why those core tools are sold separately? Imho they should be part of all ships by default.

I can't believe that in the year of 3307 the Human Civilization and the amazing Galatic Technology is still relying on... human reflexes, isn't it??? ;)

I wish to suggest the Fdevs to consider the creation of an integrated module for Auto-dock and Supercruise Assist.
this:
Yes. Here we go. I don’t support it because FD specifically added optional internal slots for these. +2 on small ships; +1 on others.
You get ADDITIONAL free slots if you decide you don't need those modules. You have the option to uninstall them. It's far better then having them integrated and those bonus slots removed.

this:

You get ADDITIONAL free slots if you decide you don't need those modules. You have the option to uninstall them. It's far better then having them integrated and those bonus slots removed.
Obligatory the devs can integrate the modules while keeping the slots if people just lobby for that post.

Every time a CMDR buy a ship he/she has a tough decision to make: which modules to use as part of a tradeoff in utility vs convenience.

And that's the entire point of having them as separate modules, integrating them would defeat the purpose of having them as modules, and every player who doesn't install one would lose a spare size 1 slot they can use for something they find useful. Almost every thread on this subject eventually ends up revealing itself as having one objective, the freeing of that one or two extra size 1 slot to put X in. If they combine the two then those extra slots aren't available, they vanish!

Not going to happen.

Hello again little thread. I fear you face the same harsh fate as your elder siblings. Chin up!
Although, to be fair, we did eventually get SOME additional functionality built into every ship which used to be a separate module. Such as the Discovery Scanner. So there is hope yet.

Although, to be fair, we did eventually get SOME additional functionality built into every ship which used to be a separate module. Such as the Discovery Scanner. So there is hope yet.
Which happened about the same time as they added SCA and ADC as well as giving us the extra slot(s) for them, so any further change is unlikely so soon.

One of the problems that caused that to happen was the fact they couldn't just get rid of the old one and give everyone an empty slot to put the DS in because all the people out exploring suddenly have nothing and no way to get it except to fly back to the bubble, not discovering anything on the way. So if it's vital equipment it will probably get done like that, if it's just an extra thing you don't need they just give you an extra slot and let you make up your own mind!

I have to agree since a Cutter has 1xSize 1, 1xSize 3 and 1xSize 4.
Planetary approach, ADC, SC Assist take up all those, but they are ALL size 1 modules. That's a lot of wasted large slots that could have been used for planetary vehicles and such. On a ship the size of the Cutter, DC at the very least is really essential for most players, it takes a LOT of practice to get docking right in a ship like that since it handles like a housebrick in tar.

Personally, I think Planetary Approach should be built in to ALL ships as standard and should not need a special module for it.
ADC or DC and SC Assist should be a combined module as they both have the same basic autopilot function.
I don't care if FD remove that extra slot they added to ships when they added SC Assist.
Also SC Assist should be on a keybind, it's painful having to use the left screen to activate it every time.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
When Horizons launched, every ship had a Planetary Approach slot added to it - so there was no need to compromise existing builds to be able to land on planets.

When the SCA and ADC were added (and the Discovery Scanners integrated in to the ship) small ships were given an extra 2x Class 1 slot (other ships got 1x Class 1 slot).

If PA, ADC, SCA were to be integrated in to the ship then I'd expect we would lose one or more Class 1 slots from ships, i.e. those that were added to optionally accommodate them in the first place.

I don't care if FD remove that extra slot they added to ships when they added SC Assist.
Also SC Assist should be on a keybind, it's painful having to use the left screen to activate it every time.

You might not, but others who don't use SCA and use that slot for say a Hull Reinforcement Module might just care....a lot!

When Horizons launched, every ship had a Planetary Approach slot added to it - so there was no need to compromise existing builds to be able to land on planets.

When the SCA and ADC were added (and the Discovery Scanners integrated in to the ship) small ships were given an extra 2x Class 1 slot (other ships got 1x Class 1 slot).

If PA, ADC, SCA were to be integrated in to the ship then I'd expect we would lose one or more Class 1 slots from ships, i.e. those that were added to optionally accommodate them in the first place.
That's exactly what I was saying. Ships got a slot added for it, if you combine the modules and take away the slot that was given for it, it's no real loss since it would only go back to what it was before. Those who used the slot for something else were getting something they never had before and were effectively using the slot for something other than it was intended for.

PA does not need to be integrated as it does not control the ship other than calculating when orbital SC, glide and glide end occur.
But I do feel that DC and SCA are two functions of the same device - Autopilot.

Top Bottom