Interesting and maybe promising - they seem to realize the new UI is bad

We’re also keenly aware of feedback on several aspects of the updated User Interface in Odyssey. The comments on this topic have been followed closely since the beginning of the alpha phase and your feedback shared in our Alpha feedback forum has been gathered and collected. Your concerns over the ease-of-use and accessibility of these systems are being heard and passed to the development team.

While fundamental issues such as connection and performance remain a priority, we’d like to build a clear understanding of issues surrounding features such as UI to lay the groundwork for in-game improvements.

It is kind of amusing that they are basically crowd-sourcing UI design now,...... but that being said I have zero doubt that the crowd will do a much better job.

It is kind of amusing that they are basically crowd-sourcing UI design now,...... but that being said I have zero doubt that the crowd will do a much better job.

This sadly only works in gaming industry. I'd really like passionate customers that fix my product by themselves without any of them making any demands. I'm kinda jealous, I must admit.

They must have someone internally who plays elite, surely?

It can only be they have a culture of not providing feedback on other people or teams work. Its so immediately obvious if you play the game there must be a block. Saying it’s from players is probably the “business process” for improvement.

This sadly only works in gaming industry. I'd really like passionate customers that fix my product by themselves without any of them making any demands. I'm kinda jealous, I must admit.
I know right? I really don't understand why every game doesn't design itself for mods. Modders will solve so many of your problems for you.... for free! There are games that are literally only good because of mods.

It can only be they have a culture of not providing feedback on other people or teams work. Its so immediately obvious if you play the game there must be a block. Saying it’s from players is probably the “business process” for improvement.
LOL - do you think they do? Do you think that anyone who actually plays ED tested that outfitting UI?

Well I wouldn't bother spending 6-7 digit amounts of money for equipment, location, personnel and tester fees if I have free options like Alpha and Beta tests or Influencers to do this for free.

You can't do that kind of stuff in medical research, but works in gaming industry as seen in countless cases.

I know right? I really don't understand why every game doesn't design itself for mods. Modders will solve so many of your problems for you.... for free! There are games that are literally only good because of mods.

Thats the same principle as open-source software. Great advantages in specific cases.

But modding can also be very dangerous....imagine very liberal usage of modding tools for Elite. ARX Store would be dead, new ships and SRVs everywhere.....It limits what actual impact you as a company actually have and can sell.

See KSP as an example....you gotta be very creative to find a niche within your own product that can be monetized. Modders are both producing free content and are competition at the same time. If you dont allow mods, you have a monopoly on content for your game. And we all know how nice monopolys are for customers.

If you only want to sell your product, go full mods (e.g. original KSP)
If you want to focus on monetizing content updates, get a legal department to protect your IP and ban modding/ports/private server/etc.

Last edited:
LOL - do you think they do? Do you think that anyone who actually plays ED tested that outfitting UI?
Every time I see their streams of the game, it's hosted by someone who literally fumbles their way through the game clearly not understanding even the basics.

I would hazard a guess and say that no; none of their employees actually play their own game, and the ones that do only play it for the streams.

Well I wouldn't bother spending 6-7 digit amounts of money for equipment, location, personnel and tester fees if I have free options like Alpha and Beta tests or Influencers to do this for free.

You can't do that kind of stuff in medical research, but works in gaming industry as seen in countless cases.

Thats the same principle as open-source software. Great advantages in specific cases.

But modding can also be very dangerous....imagine very liberal usage of modding tools for Elite. ARX Store would be dead, new ships and SRVs everywhere.....It limits what actual impact you as a company actually have and can sell.

See KSP as an example....you gotta be very creative to find a niche within your own product that can be monetized. Modders are both producing free content and are competition at the same time.
I think it would be worth it for ED..... maybe the ARX store would be dead, but they'd still be able to sell ships (KSP expansions with parts have sold like crazy despite part mods being widely available), SRVs, etc.

I also think the game would be in a much better state and sell as good or better (the online only/MMO stuff is honestly a big turn off to a lot of potential customers IMO) if it was a single player offline moddable game. I also think Fdev would have much lower dev costs (no backend etc)

Honestly, I can't really think of a single successful moddable game (officially supported or not) where modding has done anything but help the games finances. I can think of a few games that would be FAR less successful without mods (KSP being a prime example..... without mechjeb it wouldn't sell nearly as well lol)

Well it’s broken no. Most of it only appears the second time you use it..

… They probably “finished” it without even a slight interest in how it’s being used. That’s simply not possible.

As a gamer, I love mod support.....can't get enough of it.

As an entrepreneur, I'd never allow mods if I had any confidence in my base product.

API is some kind of modding, but only fills the gaps in my own product organically with minimal effort and without giving up my content monopoly. Imagine Elite without 3rd party tools.

And this is exactly what we see in today's gaming world.

Last edited:
It is impossible that anyone tested that outfitting UI!!

The alpha testers did. And now all the beta testers do.

Don't think about the past too much....think of the glorious future that lies ahead. Take part in the grand journey of ancient greece, a story of great adventure, face epic challenges and return to your beloved wife Penelope. Join up for bugreporting and betatesting now to begin your own personal story !

Top Bottom