Introducing the Cockpit Paint Mod (CPM)

I hope that makes sense!
Perfect sense! The only thing I don't understand is how you're communicating with 3DMigoto from another app. I have wanted to do journal-based "on the fly" modifications in the past (for example, to change shaders based on whether I'm using the FSS or not), but I have no idea how to interact with 3DMigoto except via keybinds. I ultimately solved the FSS issue using conditional shader testing inside of 3DMigoto, but I still would love be able to adjust shaders via a smart external script.

Speaking of, did you find a decent manual for 3DMigoto, or did you just "reverse engineer" it yourself over time? Most of my experience with it has been bumbling around in the dark, because I could never find decent documentation outside of the config file comments.

Perfect sense! The only thing I don't understand is how you're communicating with 3DMigoto from another app. I have wanted to do journal-based "on the fly" modifications in the past (for example, to change shaders based on whether I'm using the FSS or not), but I have no idea how to interact with 3DMigoto except via keybinds. I ultimately solved the FSS issue using conditional shader testing inside of 3DMigoto, but I still would love be able to adjust shaders via a smart external script.

Speaking of, did you find a decent manual for 3DMigoto, or did you just "reverse engineer" it yourself over time? Most of my experience with it has been bumbling around in the dark, because I could never find decent documentation outside of the config file comments.

EDHM UI is the external application that finds key variables in the ini files and then updates their values with user preferences. Just like the mod, the UI has been developing over a few years and now it also supports theme management and the shipyard theme-switch feature.

However, I have no idea how it works as it was made by my colleague Blue Mystic, who is a professional programmer in his day job. I think he might have put his C# source code on his github though, might be worthwhile checking out to see how he updates the key:value pairs.

With regards to the documentation, yeah it's a lot of bumbling in the dark :) But between myself, @Mystler and @MrVaad we've been able to find a few useful titbits here and there. And Mystler helped me understand functions, arguments and communication between vertex and pixel shaders, so it's really been a group effort.

It will be interesting to see how the update tomorrow affects Horizons :unsure:

EDHM UI is the external application that finds key variables in the ini files and then updates their values with user preferences. :unsure:
Huh.. It sounds like it's modifying the ini files on-the-fly and then triggering a refresh via appropriate keybind (3DMigito has that option, which I use all the time when testing shaders). I never thought of doing that. I'll have to experiment a bit. Right now I have Horizons just the way I like it, but with H4 coming out sometime "soon", I'll need to redo everything I've done so it works with client 4.0's new shaders.

This mod is a dream come true. I remember posting in the distant past how Frontier should offer Ship internal paint jobs.... but that never happened.
Hoping this will be released as planned. \o/

Flimley

Last edited:
@GeorjCostanza one question i thought of is...
Will/Could this mod apply to any elements of the internals of Fleet carriers?
Being aware that Frontier have created some free existing basic options. And not sure if anymore are planned involving future ARX payments. If so, maybe other elements of Fleet Carrier internals outside of those created by frontier Could be considered?

Flimley

Last edited:
@GeorjCostanza one question i thought of is...
Will/Could this mod apply to any elements of the internals of Fleet carriers?
Being aware that Frontier have created some free existing basic options. And not sure if anymore are planned involving future ARX payments. If so, maybe other elements of Fleet Carrier internals outside of those created by frontier Could be considered?

Flimley

Hiya, I haven't looked at FCs yet, except to check the cockpit textures weren't contaminating the FC textures. But thankfully they're controlled by different shaders. If we can get the Cockpit Paint Mod happening then we can look at potential extensions like this.

However, I haven't heard anything back from FDev yet and it's been nearly a month since I first asked (sent PMs to two CMs, and submitted the mod proposal via the official form). But as soon as I hear something I'll post an update here

Hi CMDRs,

And a special hello to @sallymorganmoore ! Sorry to drag you down to the 'basement' of the forums (you get used to the smell.. :) ) but I have a special request, and also an Elite gift 🎀

To complement the Elite Dangerous HUD Mod (EDHM), I've recently finished working on a new mod called the Cockpit Paint Mod (CPM). I think this will be a game changer for many CMDRs, as you can paint and design each ship's cockpit to your personal taste.

When I launched EDHM I was given permission by FDev to proceed so long as the mod didn't provide a competitive advantage or mod ARX related assets. The CPM complies with these rules, but I wanted to double-check it's ok to release as I don't want to get EDHM (or me!) in trouble.

With the help of CMDR R^L (Rilo), we've made you a personalised HUD and Cockpit theme for your Pink Wafer Cobra. There are some demo images and a video below so you can check it out, I hope you like it!

To try it yourself, here's a direct download link (zip file) [this is only for Sally, the mod isn't released yet]. It's password protected with my FDev account email, but please send me a PM if you can't access my account details

** Please note, the mod will only work on the current public release version of Odyssey (not likely to work on dev builds)

The mod is very easy to install and uninstall

* To install *

1. Exit Elite (really important, a lot of players forget to exit first)

2. Place the zip file into your 'elite-dangerous-odyssey-64' folder (the Ody game folder, not the 'Elite Dangerous' folder)

Download-zip.jpg

3. Unzip the zip (make sure your zip app doesn't create a new folder with the file name of the zip .. some zip apps do that unfortunately)

When it's unzipped, the 'elite-dangerous-odyssey-64' folder should look like this:

Unzipped.jpg

4. Start Elite and jump in your Cobra!

Optional:

I recommend the following settings in Elite's Graphics Options:

Texture Quality: High (this affects the quality of the textures in the cockpit)

Texture-Quality.jpg

Material Quality: Ultra (this affects the quality of the HUD display)

Material-Quality.jpg

Upscaling: Normal (improves the readability of the HUD text)

Upscaling.jpg

* To uninstall *

Exit Elite

2. Navigate to the 'elite-dangerous-odyssey-64' folder

3. Double-click the file 'EDHM-Uninstall.bat'

That's it!

I'd be so grateful if you and the guys could please check it out. It took a lot of work, and I'd love to see the Elite community get enjoyment out of it.

Fly pink CMDR!

o7

Pink-Wafer-1.jpg

Pink-Wafer-2.jpg

Pink-Wafer-3.jpg

Pink-Wafer-4.jpg

Video demo

Source: https://youtu.be/TQUzN_SYMxI

Last edited:
Hi CMDRs,

And a special hello to @sallymorganmoore ! Sorry to drag you down to the 'basement' of the forums (you get used to the smell.. :) ) but I have a special request, and also an Elite gift 🎀

To complement the Elite Dangerous HUD Mod (EDHM), I've recently finished working on a new mod called the Cockpit Paint Mod (CPM). I think this will be a game changer for many CMDRs, as you can paint and design each ship's cockpit to your personal taste.

When I launched EDHM I was given permission by FDev to proceed so long as the mod didn't provide a competitive advantage or mod ARX related assets. The CPM complies with these rules, but I wanted to double-check it's ok to release as I don't want to get EDHM (or me!) in trouble.

With the help of CMDR R^L (Rilo), we've made you a personalised HUD and Cockpit theme for your Pink Wafer Cobra. There are some demo images and a video below so you can check it out, I hope you like it!

To try it yourself, here's a direct download link (zip file). It's password protected with my FDev account email, but please send me a PM if you can't access my account details

** Please note, the mod will only work on the current public release version of Odyssey (not likely to work on dev builds)

The mod is very easy to install and uninstall

* To install *

1. Exit Elite (really important, a lot of players forget to exit first)

2. Place the zip file into your 'elite-dangerous-odyssey-64' folder (the Ody game folder, not the 'Elite Dangerous' folder)

View attachment 319991

3. Unzip the zip (make sure your zip app doesn't create a new folder with the file name of the zip .. some zip apps do that unfortunately)

When it's unzipped, the 'elite-dangerous-odyssey-64' folder should look like this:

View attachment 319992

4. Start Elite and jump in your Cobra!

Optional:

I recommend the following settings in Elite's Graphics Options:

Texture Quality: High (this affects the quality of the textures in the cockpit)

View attachment 319993

Material Quality: Ultra (this affects the quality of the HUD display)

View attachment 319994

Upscaling: Normal (improves the readability of the HUD text)

View attachment 319995

* To uninstall *

Exit Elite

2. Navigate to the 'elite-dangerous-odyssey-64' folder

3. Double-click the file 'EDHM-Uninstall.bat'

That's it!

I'd be so grateful if you and the guys could please check it out. It took a lot of work, and I'd love to see the Elite community get enjoyment out of it.

Fly pink CMDR!

o7

View attachment 319999

View attachment 320000

View attachment 320001

View attachment 320002

Video demo

Source: https://youtu.be/TQUzN_SYMxI
This is BRILLIANT!

Top Bottom