Is AI gimped again?

Hello! Didn't played ED for about 8 months.
Today come back and ELITE AI in HAZRES just noobs again.
Some just reverse back from you, some just run from you, some try to fly in wide circles around you.

Last time i've tryed ED for one hour (5-6 months ago) there apparently was a buff to NPC hull - master Anaconda was almost inpenetrable.
Now i've destroyed dangerous anaconda less than 1 minute. ?

Really, is AI nerfed again in favor of casuals who play game 1 day a week "to shoot some spacejunk" on their corvettes?

I think if you want the toughest npcs you need to go into combat zones. Some of the ships there can take quite a bit of stick.
They also love rail guns and chaff

There is no "toughest NPCs" AFAIK. There just a swarm of npcs that focus you and do their best to kill you. "Greens" just fly somewhere when 4-6 "reds" trying to kill you.
No, CZs has most dumb "swarm" AI

You must be a really good pilot with a strong and dangerous ship, congratulations! As an aside, how long should it take for that juicy 90k bounty?

Some just reverse back from you, some just run from you, some try to fly in wide circles around you.

Last time i've tryed ED for one hour (5-6 months ago) there apparently was a buff to NPC hull - master Anaconda was almost inpenetrable.

Really, is AI nerfed again in favor of casuals who play game 1 day a week "to shoot some spacejunk" on their corvettes?

Good thing there are other games out there for those hardcore like you...rest of us noobs have no chance against your greatness.

There is no "toughest NPCs" AFAIK. There just a swarm of npcs that focus you and do their best to kill you. "Greens" just fly somewhere when 4-6 "reds" trying to kill you.
No, CZs has most dumb "swarm" AI

For the record the ship outfitting in combat zones differs greatly to those found in other areas. Weapons, defence and armour are all very different even 1v1 although as stated there is a mob mentality there that often clouds this.

Edit: I've not noticed any massive drop in AI skill over the past 8 months, although yes it was reduced in 2.3:

• Balance pass for AI interdiction ability, to make it slightly easier

Check the NPC section here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/341916-2-3-The-Commanders-Changelog

Last edited:
So, no answer like "Yes" or "No" on title?
There was a great AI like a 8-12 months ago. There were so much threads like "they fly in circles i can't catch them" or "omg they use SCBs!" and "fix the AI, bots kills me".
If you don't remember this - then you were not here.
I think SJA just "fixed" her minions again in favor of casuals. Now everybody can have anaconda in two days.

So, no answer like "Yes" or "No" on title?
There was a great AI like a 8-12 months ago. There were so much threads like "they fly in circles i can't catch them" or "omg they use SCBs!" and "fix the AI, bots kills me".
If you don't remember this - then you were not here.
I think SJA just "fixed" her minions again in favor of casuals. Now everybody can have anaconda in two days.

Define: "Gimped".

Subjective term therefore there is no Yes/No answer.

I gave you the best answer thats possible to the question posed. The exact section of the patch notes to read from a dev source with a hyperlink and a relevant line copied out. Yes I remember what it was like, I also remember the AI and sub-sequent storm. I was in the camp that felt the AI was good and a challenge for those of us in Engineered FDLs and Anacondas with 3000 hours+ under the belt but impossible in small non-engineered non-combat ships for players that had under 100 hours.
Personally I wanted a middleground, I think there's room for the tough AI and room for the weaker AI. The balancing act is not as simple when there's no difficulty setting or slider.

Last edited:
Elites are quite tough, Dangerous aren't very (dangerous), the rest are meh, this hasn't changed in 4 months that I know of (had a break from the game before then), and Low CZs definitely spawn a lot of ships with railguns. This is how it should be, the weak should be able to bounty hunt in non optimally or non-engineered ships.

Last edited:
Elites are quite tough, Dangerous aren't very (dangerous), the rest are meh, this hasn't changed in 4 months that I know of (had a break from the game before then), and Low CZs definitely spawn a lot of ships with railguns. This is how it should be, the weak should be able to bounty hunt in non optimally or non-engineered ships.
"Quite tough" is meant they have 80% armor resistance and more amount of armor?
I don't speak about CZ, i speak about HAZRES.
There were 3 in wing - anaconda and 2 pythons. Anaconda was deadly and pythons were dangerous. I've destroyed anaconda in <1min then throttle up from pythons, reversed and killed one by one. Not even focusing their PP.

I'm on Anaconda, not even Corvette or Cutter.

Still Master level.
I'm talkin about Master-Dangerous-Deadly-Elite big ships. in HazRES.
Haz Res has been a bit passive for me lately. Too many sentinel type ships cruising around, not mining or bounty hunting, just there for basically no discernible reason.

Also, for all sites... good lord can we get rid of the floating mats? I'd like to have the option to opt out of engineering so we don't encounter these things on our sensors.

I got bored of pirate hunting when I accidentally took a load of cargo in to a CNB, and failed to notice the difference. Lol

CZs are the same, but the NPC's just take longer to kill.

But I don't think any single NPC, no matter how good, will ever trump the best pilots.
However, I do think that larger wings of NPC's could do the trick, especially if they all used different tactics, or well coordinated attacks.
I miss the old days of being pecked to death by a wing of 13 sidewinders. Lol

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

There was a great AI like a 8-12 months ago.

Ever thougt that maybe you engineered your ship to the limit and are now wondering why that deadly Clipper cant keep up? Try using a non engineered ship and get blown to pieces by an elite eagle because you will never see him without dirty drives :)

Danced with a dangerous diamondback earlier
not a bad dancer
obeserved it using sbcs
and pretty good at module sniping

interdicted me in open space in a low sec system
there is hope

Yes. At 2.1 Fdev upgraded the AI to make combat challenging and meaningful, but didn't increase the payoff or lower the frequency of the fights. At the very same time, there was a bug that gave ships repeating plasma cannons and other superweapons. Fdev fixed that bug in two days, but the forumites couldn't tell the difference and complained and apparently stopped playing, so Fdev reverted it. IIRC it made a game news site or two.

There's also a pretty big problem with HP inflation for player ships. Fdev had a chance to solve that a couple of times, but pulled back because people complained about not being able to camp a CZ for hours. Sandro made comments about 'protecting playstyles'. Playstyles created by broken balance...

Last edited:

Avago Earo

Banned
I thought 'gimped' meant having a leather/latex mask on with a tennis ball strapped into your mouth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom