Is it time to address the real reason Odyssey must be withdrawn?

This is from Horizons settlements ✅ :
1623579615563.png

and this is Odyssey bases ❌ :
1623579691549.png

Odyssey is a crime against possessive apostrophes! WITHDRAW IT NOW!* 😡

(*well, not really, but ...)

Most important thread on the forum for ages. Juicy!

Forbes’ Folly is wrong. (Unless it’s multiple Forbe not a singular Forbes, in which case it’s correct.)

Apostrophes are all in the right place in the Odyssey ones at least. They’d be fine if they were talking about the things produced by Bruno, or the analytics done by Ramos. They just don’t really work as place names.

Edit - partial ninja-ing by @Screemonster

Ramos's Analytics is correct if it belongs to a single person called Ramos.

Forbes' Folly evidently belongs to a group of Forbeses.
Sorry, neither statement is strictly true (although the irony shows through), although the first can be left to the discretion writer/editor.

Hart's Rules is the guidebook for typesetters, at least in the UK, and the guidance on the genitive apostrophe is:

"Use ’s to indicate possession after singular nouns and indefinite pronouns (for example everything, anyone):
the boy’s job the box’s contents anyone’s guess

"and after plural nouns that do not end in s:
people’s opinions women’s rights

"With singular nouns that end in an s sound, the extra s can be omitted if it makes the phrase difficult to pronounce (the catharsis’ effects), but it is often preferable to transpose the words and insert of (the effects of the catharsis)."
(Ritter, R. M.. New Hart's Rules: The Handbook of Style for Writers and Editors (p. 63). Oxford University Press. Kindle Edition.)

As a former editor/typesetter, I would probably have left Ramos's as is, but had the base belonged to Ramases it would definitely have been rendered as Ramases' Analytics.

A base belonging to a group of Forbses would be Forbses' Folly.

Look at my signature! Look at my signature!
I noticed.

Everything's important to someone.

Last edited:
Whoa. What a thread to wake up to. My mind is blown. I thought that you out the apostrophe after ANY noun that ended with an ‘s’ when showing possession. I don’t know the OP’s’s (heh) nationality, but might there be different grammar rules for this in Britain and America?

Most likely I’ve had it wrong this whole time.

Top Bottom