Is it worth me buying this game?

I love Planet Coaster, albeit in Sandbox mode. I was really excited to hear about Planet Zoo as I was a huge Zoo Tycoon fan and I work with animals so they are a big deal to me. But having read this forum over the last few days, I’m a bit worried about spending money on a game that appears to have lots of problems. As a sandbox player, will these problems massively affect me?
I understand that these issues are going to be resolved in time, but I’m from an era where you purchased a game for full price because it was finished, so it does concern me.

Just after everyone’s thoughts.

Judging by your first line this is a must buy game for you but at the end of the day it is your choice. I won't start on why there is a lot of people supposedly complaining as it won't end well but my experience of it has been and nothing game breaking for me, if you are used to PZ you will pick up most things again without even needing to think about it.

There are a few minor bugs with the game here and there, which I'm sure will be fixed within the next few weeks. So if you're the type of person who hates running into any issues, then maybe hang on till a couple patches are released. Personally I don't mind the small issues here and there, its common with most games these days to have some teething problems in the first few weeks.

And if you loved the Planet Coaster sandbox, then I'm sure you'll love this one :)

I think you will enjoy it. Nothing so serious that it's unplayable.
Well, I don’t know about that. That seems lying. What about the absolute lack of interactions between animals? What about the lack of personality and uniqueness in the animals? I’m not gonna start with the time speed cause it seems like a sin to protest it, but those other things seem pretty important for a game that revolves around animals. So no, I would wait a looong time before purchasing the game cause as for now it’s a waste of 54€ just to look at pretty graphics. We can all watch documentaries for that 😌

Not sure what some people expected, but I think a few complains in the forums are a little bit over the top. ;)
It's a million times better than Zoo Tycoon with the building options from Planet Coaster. Some minor issuses need tweaking, so if you are unsure wait a few weeks, but for me the game is a dream come true.

WingardiumLevicoaster

Volunteer Moderator
s in the animals? I’m not gonna start with the time speed cause it seems like a sin to protest it, but those other things seem pretty important for a game that revolves around animals. So no, I would wait a looong time before purchasing the game cause as for now it’s a waste of 54€ just to look at pretty graphics. We can all watch documentaries for that

I consider unplayable to mean it doesn't function and crashes constantly. I have seen a lot of animal interaction in my copy of the game. Especially with the babies <3

but for me the game is a dream come true.
Totally agree!!! 🥳

I've encountered some bugs like any other, but then you simply need to let the team know in the issue tracker and they will work on it. I am loving the game so far with "only" 20 hours gameplay 😉

Not sure what some people expected, but I think a few complains in the forums are a little bit over the top. ;)
It's a million times better than Zoo Tycoon with the building options from Planet Coaster. Some minor issuses need tweaking, so if you are unsure wait a few weeks, but for me the game is a dream come true.

I Agree.

I consider unplayable to mean it doesn't function and crashes constantly. I have seen a lot of animal interaction in my copy of the game. Especially with the babies <3

Whenever something doesn't please a person's personal liking, it always tend to go into comments like "unplayable".
When strolling around this forum, I always have a spare bag of salt with me, not even a pinch.

And don't start about the time scale, because that is massively based on personal preference. Whatever you change about that, it will never be good enough for some.

Last edited:
I feel like it’s pretty safe to speak for others when there are many threads with the same problem I am experiencing. Even the devs stated that the interactions are not working as intended so something must be wrong...one can only hope, I wanted so so so much to enjoy this game as I love animals and I’m myself studying to be a vet in order to work with big felines.

WingardiumLevicoaster

Volunteer Moderator
This forum represents a very tiny minority of the games players and even those on it have very different opinions. More animal interactions is fine by me, though I have seen some so it's incorrect to say "an absolute lack" from my experience.This forum is a place for us to all express our views and experiences and by not making assumptions. For the OP, they may have a different viewpoint or feeling. A sandbox player usually plays for the building enjoyment and creativity. All opinions are welcome, just not presented as facts.

it feels like we might need a further iteration a Planet zoo 1.1 if you like but overall its in a solid foundation. Some complain about Animal interactions not being true to nature - nature has had some 3.5 Billion years and it still makes mistakes, Frontier have had les than 3.5 Years - give them a break. I wouldn't give it a 10 as a rating but would give a .
6.5 as it stands today

If you're a creative type you will love the Sandbox mode in this game. I have experienced very few bugs in this mode and nothing serious at all. Your experience building in Coaster will definitely help here. I didn't play Coaster so I have a lot to learn but I like that. Any serious building game is going to have a learning curve - if it was too easy it would be too shallow and I'd just get bored :) The game is breathtakingly beautiful and I suspect that it will only get better as the devs work out the animations. In my opinion - absolutely worth buying!

I’d wait for a month so they can fix the bugs. Zookeepers still don’t feed animals all the time which makes it unplayable

The game is good, no one can’t deny that. It’s stunning, it feels like you are actually watching a picture more than a videogame because of the quantity of details they put into the animals, from the fur being wet when the go swimming to the eyes that look almost alive. You have a building freedom that is extraordinary, the maps are beautiful, the weather system is great and it changes gradually so that doesn’t feel fake when it happens. I think they only have to make it more...open for any kind of players. There are players that just fancy the menagment part of, and they are lucky for the time being, and then players that just want to enjoy the animals at a reasonable speed and with good social interactions. I feel like, and I’m gonna state it again, for the time being, this minority of majority, I don’t know, of players, have been left out, which is sad. I’ve already witnessed the falling in disgrace of my favorite frenchise, the sims, I don’t want to see the same happening to planet zoo...

WingardiumLevicoaster

Volunteer Moderator
You are in safe hands with Frontier. As experienced throughout the development of Planet Coaster, they constantly make changes and improve things. If they do not do something it is usually for a technical limitation and they will explain it as such. Things take time though.

I’ve never played Planco that much cause I’m not into roller coasters and theme parks so I wouldn’t know how frontier works with feedbacks. Based on what I’ve seen in beta they are very concerned with what players experience so hopefully everything will be fine. I just get spooked because of sims franchise, that was once wonderful and now just a mess, with devs not really giving a damn about players...but I trust you, you seem to have been around frontier for much longer than I have 😌

Top Bottom