Is mining turning into a RL addiction?

Serious answer:

Look at your right panel. Go to the Codex. Look at your Commander, and then your stats.

Your achievement in this game is not JUST the credits you've accumulated. Your achievement is measured by many, many different statistics on your account. Whatever addictive wiring is messed up in your brain telling you to mine the crap out of those LTDs, counter it by reminding yourself that JUST having tons of credits doesn't mean all that much. Build up your bounties, bonds, assassinations, black market network, black market profit, systems visited, level 3 scans, efficiency bonuses, total hyperspace distance, total hyperspace jumps, SRV distance traveled, max distance from start, passengers, search and rescue, crafting, or whatever else you can find.

Now I'm probably not the best person to talk to about not spending time in the game. But I can usually tear myself away from any activity by thinking about all of the other stats that I should be adding to.

Not only the egg must be fixed but the money gained with that method removed. It's similar to that commodity that some people bought and sold to same station without even undocking.

That is not mining. That's exploit of flawed game mechanic.

Why? Aside from your bruised sensibilities, are these players hurting you in any way?

Why? Aside from your bruised sensibilities, are these players hurting you in any way?
Well yes.. apart from FCs causing techincal issues (from system map loading times, jump into system times), negatively influencing BGS, leaving shortly after obtaining massive amount of credits, crying on forums when they get killed couse they don't know how to play, and just in general whining to make the game easy for them, they achieved that FDev has gradually made the game dumbed down, not challenging. And this means it's not challenging for everyone, which in turn affects me directly, if you must ask.
Plus, feeling a sense of achievement is also one of main reasons why most games, that could easily be single player, are existing in online multiplayer environment. Whether you like it or not, whether you keep saying "you don't have to do it. It doesnt affect you, ...", it's an online game and balance is more important with those type of games.
But I don't expect from new playerbase that gets everything handed to them (in most games not just ED) to understand what balance or challenge means. Unfortunately that kind of instant gratification mentality is dragging down the whole industry, the quality of games is dropping in general. I guess veterans of ED are that much more salty because we thought that won't happen to our belowed Elite, game that we grew up with.

Well yes.. apart from FCs causing techincal issues (from system map loading times, jump into system times)

All players are affected by these issues, particularly FC owners.

negatively influencing BGS

How? Supply and demand are set by server tick, not by quantities present in the station. Stations do not have limited budgets.

Crying on forums when they get killed couse they don't know how to play

Game Forums are invariably populated almost exclusively with whiners, wingers, and people who want things changed to suit them. This thread being a case in point.

FDev has gradually made the game dumbed down, not challenging. And this means it's not challenging for everyone, which in turn affects me directly, if you must ask.

I'm sorry you find this undesirable, though I've never understood the mindset that values challenge for challenge's sake. I did circumnavigate the galaxy over the course of fourteen months, though that was more because I wanted to be able to say I'd done it (and to keep other players as far from me as possible), rather than to claim I'd beaten any sort of artificial challenge.

Plus, feeling a sense of achievement is also one of main reasons why most games, that could easily be single player, are existing in online multiplayer environment.

I thought the main reason for games existing in online multiplayer environments is that they could be monetised to a massive degree and therefore generate income throughout their entire lifespan, rather than at specific points such as expansions and releases.

It's an online game and balance is more important with those type of games.

I'd call everyone everywhere being able to have everything within the space of a few weeks almost unreasonably balanced.

Unfortunately that kind of instant gratification mentality is dragging down the whole industry, the quality of games is dropping in general.

This is starting to sound a little No True Scotsman. Only a little though. One thing ED isn't is pay to win, unlike some. I wouldn't call weeks of five or six hour nights in the belts particularly instant either. An exercise in endurance, perhaps.

I guess veterans of ED are that much more salty because we thought that won't happen to our belowed Elite, game that we grew up with.

A completely single-player game in which none of these issues were present.
I'd love a single-player (or non-MMORPG multiplayer) version of Elite Dangerous to be honest. I do think I'd enjoy it quite a lot more than what we have now, I'd even buy the necessary hardware to support it.
But yes, I suppose I can empathise. I've liked a few games whos sequels were disappointly geared towards social online play.

But I've never understood the need to find a game challenging. I associate challenging games with too many dents in walls, too many broken controllers, and too many smashed game disc boxes. They were not enjoyable.

But then everyone is different and everyone wants something different. Which is another problem with a MMORPG like Elite Dangerous.

Its no addiction, every other activity just feels like a waste of time compared to mining. I did some AX-interceptor hunts and PvPiracy. My income was Stunning 14mil/9Mil per hour.

But surely at some point, how much money an activity makes is totally irrelevant? Its not a giant competition to see who can have the biggest bank balance.. I just do whatever i like doing, and if i decide im running out of money i just go visit the money tap for a bit (i.e. mine. And no, ive never reset an SSD, and made 80% of my money before FCs tbh - mostly core mining Vopals)

What I’m enjoying about the current mining environment (aside from the credits 😉) is that now I’m routinely using all the mining tools each sortie into a ring. Scan, prospect, and see what I got. Core deposit? Crack it open. Sub-surface? Bore those rocks out. More than 25% content? Crank up the lasers. Scrape everything valuable off the surface. Probably not maximizing my credits per hour this way, but definitely maximizing my fun.

Top Bottom