Is mining worth getting a high end ship for.

Ok so i have a friend. He goes void opal hunting with a AspX.

My question is. Is it worth it? I have a build off coriolis. Its 27mil. I got the money. But what is the chance i will earn any off that back? Here is why im asking the question. I was watching a youtuber mine in a clipper. He has it A rated. With 128 holds. Thats close to a 60to70mil beauty!!! Now when he went to show his mining gains. It was only 3mil. I earn 10 to 20 mil on trade mission in a run of a few hrs... if RNG does me right that is...

Ive seen other youtubers say that void opal mining is where the mining is at. But if this guy is only making 2 to 3 mil in his career... than is it worth i go get that AspX set up. Or should i forget mining? I would like some real input on this please.

If you choose a high security system you can run a C or D rated AspX that will cost you about 22M. (Not in Open, though)

Painite can be even more lucrative and easy than VOs these days. It is easier too. Make a search on yoube. There are excellent guides.

In mining, as well as all forms of trade, size is king. Go for the biggest cargo or multipurpuse ship you can afford.

If you choose a high security system you can run a C or D rated AspX that will cost you about 22M. (Not in Open, though)

Painite can be even more lucrative and easy than VOs these days. It is easier too. Make a search on yoube. There are excellent guides.

In mining, as well as all forms of trade, size is king. Go for the biggest cargo or multipurpuse ship you can afford.
What would be a good medium size ship for the task that is below 30mil?

I started core mining with a python. My cargo was at 192units, averaging about 160million per run. I upgraded to an Anaconda, for the jump range and extra slots. There's no real "best ship" for mining. You can core mine with anything that has the slots to hold the equipment and cargo. I would suggest a ship that has decent mobility in the beginning just get the hang of things, and then sky's the limit.

What would be a good medium size ship for the task that is below 30mil?

The T series are your most efficient alternative for Painite mining. A T-6 or a T-7 are by far your best bet in terms of return of investment. The Keelback (which is a better armed/armored T6) and ASPX give you a good value, but sacrifice cargo for weapon slots and other amenities. The T-6 and T-7 can't handle the medium weapons required for core mining (void opals), but they do nicely for surface mining

The Federal Dropsip, which you can access with just a couple ranks in the Federal Navy (Rank 3), is a fantastic option. It is cheap, with a ton of compartments and more than enough hardpoints. It is good for surface (Painite) or core (Void Opal) mining. It has more than enough free slots to accommodate all the toys and tools you need.

Another good option is the Imperial Clipper. It is a beautiful ship, but it requires quite a bit of a rank grind. By the time you have the rank you're bound to have the money for a better ship.

You can use any of the Alliance Chieftain or Crusader, but they have many slots restricted to military modules only. That leaves too few slots available for my taste. I don't think they are versatile enough.

I like to mine in ships that can really move, so I can find the 'good' rocks a bit faster.

Clipper is nice, because you get a big 7 cargo slot, and it's fast. Hardpoints are a little awkward, though.

Had an Orca for mining myself. It was initially for the lols, but it turned out to be a pretty great core miner. Less cargo than a clipper, but better hardpoints, and just as fast.

The thing with core mining, is that you don't need a huge cargo hold to make good money. Even an Adder with 8 tons of cargo space and a 2A refinery can bring in 22 million credits assuming you fill both the cargo hold and refinery with opals.

Big ships are still better for old school strip mining and some extended stays out in the rings, if you have the patience.

Here are a few Medium Miner builds under 30Mil
None support a Fuel scoop or weapons. But instead focus on cargo, and refinery capabilities.
For defense they rely on point defence, speed and shields to avoid conflict.
All are un-engineered.

Asp X 21Mil (Cargo: 96T, Refinery: 8bins, Speed: 290/394, Shields: 136)
Asp Scout 14Mil (Cargo: 36T Refinery: 10bins, Speed: 253/346, Shields: 153)
Keelback 13Mil (Cargo: 64T, Refinery: 10bins, Speed: 225/338, Shields: 183)

My original ship for void opal mining was a Krait Mk II and it did a nice job. Anything bigger had too much cargo space for me; I didn't enjoy core mining enough to spend all that much time in a ring doing it in 1 session and if I don't fill the cargo hold in a single session, the ship is too big as far as I'm concerned.

The other reason I started with a Krait Mk II is because I could engineer all of the parts that I wanted to knowing that if I decided I did want a bigger cargo capacity they would all be transferable into a Python.

I was mining in a cutter for a while and the payout when you fill that sucker is insane but now I'm running around in a python. Sure, it holds less max ore but the boost in manouverability makes it so worth it and I am still making over a hundred mil per run. If you want the quick cash, look up overlapping painite or void opal hotspots, it does not take too long to fill up in one of those spots

Don't bother its not worth! Just spent 2hrs (jumps included) for some lousy painite ... worthless!

Attachments

• 20190514203511_1.jpg
    20190514203511_1.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 280
ASP X works if you are mining in a team with some one else running prospectors. A little small on its own. Python is the best but anything like a type 7 with good cargo capacity will do the trick. Void opals are good but rare now. check out the selling price of metals and minerals.

ASP X works if you are mining in a team with some one else running prospectors. A little small on its own. Python is the best but anything like a type 7 with good cargo capacity will do the trick. Void opals are good but rare now. check out the selling price of metals and minerals.
See, I keep hearing this ‘void opals are now rare’ thing. I’m taking a ship out to test...

A Cobra3 had enough mining potential to create a Python in one or two trips last time I was out. An AspX would have been enough to put together a half decent Anaconda...

If FD are slowly nerfing void opals from behind the scenes I’m in full approval. 👍

I use my engineered Imperial Cutter to mine Painite. 6A Prismatic Shields protect me from NPC pirates (which I normally take out on entering the asteroid zone for the extra credits). I have a 512t cargo capacity and usually take 300 limpets. I'll bring back between 350 and 500t of Painite. I have a 6A fuel scoop and FSD booster stored at the local station which I swap out to go sell the painite for the best profit.

I thought the Cutter would be too big and drifty in an asteriod field but it handles just fine. I love flying it.

Okay, this discussion has me curious. I've heard talk of the hotspots resetting once a week, but I've often heard troll-claims (e.g. Hutton has a secret shipyard for huge discounts, Raxxla is just over there.) I tend to mine WAY out the bubble. I've never seen other miners. Void opals are becoming very hard to find. I've switched to diamonds and I have no problem finding them. Slight hit in the wallet but I'd rather that, than spending 45 minutes searching for a rock to esplodify. I still haven't got tired of cracking rocks, and I have to watch every single time.

Top Bottom