Newcomer / Intro Is that a bug seriously????

Been playing for about 3 hours now and on several missions the game stopped me from my mission stations on 4 occasion at more then 500,000ly away. Is that normal taking 20 minutes to land to the mission station its really annoying

The mission tells you the distance to the destination.

The more you have to cruise generally, the more you get paid.

Try Hutton orbital in Alpha Centauri
Well then really annoying already hard to get missions when u comeback to the game after a long period away and restarting all over due to computer issue and 3 missions out of 4 took me 20 minutes to land wow

I did a community goal for cargo delivery and the destination station was 486,000ls [ish] and I must have done that run 3 dozen times or more in a week...

It really isn't that bad, esp. now you have cruise assist you can be super lazy, arrive at the star, turn on cruise assist and read a book or watch netflix or something and leave it to do its thing. [disclaimer, I don't use cruise assist and I sell it on all new ships]

Yes, it's normal. Read the mission description, down to the end. The supercruise distance (it's ls, not ly - usually) is listed right there, you can check it before you accept the mission.
Especially when you're flying stuff that is either illegal or has your employer's competitors coming after you...

Ahhh... are we talking interdictions here?

To be fair I'm not sure what the OP is on about either, it's either a complaint about some stations being too far away & taking him ages to get there (which is something that can be mitigated by reading the information available to you on the mission screen) or he misunderstands that every single mission states that enemy factions may send one, or more, npc's after you. Something that can also be mitigated (if you don't want to kill them) by learning how to evade/fight the interdiction.

The clue when doing missions is the reward money, if they are prepared to give you a lot of money then their is usually a reason such as opposition who will try to prevent you getting through or a longer than average cruise distance to deal with.

So if you are being offered a high paying mission especially if you aren’t in high standing with the provider then read all the mission information carefully and remember to scroll the screen down as some vital information might be out of view.

OP - no, it's not a bug.

Most people take one of those missions and then
  • make a mental note not to take another, or
  • move to an area without any of those targets
  • look at the mission details each time (I always forget)
  • keep taking them and them complain (popular, but not optimal)
Someone will be along soon to complain that some mission types don't tell you how far out they are (Assassinations, Black Box etc), and then we can start that phase of the thread :)

So, to help another noob who might also get caught out*, what's a ballpark figure for ls/min flying? I haven't really got a feel for it - supercruise speed isn't constant.

*I haven't been caught out, but entirely by luck. When you first start there's a lot of info to take in, and you naturally are looking at credits first. Easy mistake to make.

So, to help another noob who might also get caught out*, what's a ballpark figure for ls/min flying? I haven't really got a feel for it - supercruise speed isn't constant.

*I haven't been caught out, but entirely by luck. When you first start there's a lot of info to take in, and you naturally are looking at credits first. Easy mistake to make.

It's not as easy to calculate that as you might think. For 1/2 - 3/4 of the journey you are accelerating, for the rest of it you are slowing down, then there's planets or other gravitational objects that may or may not be in or near your path and you might be using supercruise assist which means you will be travelling at half power - increasing the time it takes you to travel. Of course, you may also be interdicted which you can choose to fight or flee, I always choose to fight simply because if I win (& I often do) my opponent will end up with a decent amount of wasted time.

Just take it as the bigger the number - the more you are going to travel, unless you go to Hutton, in which case you will see 0.25Ly (Light Years - now that is a long old journey).

The fuel rats have a good approximate table:

https://confluence.fuelrats.com/display/FRKB/Supercruise+Travel+Times

Sounds like the OP might be explaining being dropped out of supercruise far from the station. Thats the only thing that comes to mind when using the term "the game stopped me".
  1. Maybe the supercruise assist is hitting the host planets gravity and forcing the ship into normal space which is "close" but not right on top of the station like normal.
  2. Or its stopping due to the exclusion zone of a planet and the pilot is not gliding down they are using the tactical face plant to get to a surface station.
  3. Then again could just be over shooting the station and doing an emergency dropout which can be pretty far.

In all cases you can try reentering supercruise and manually dropping back out closer to the station when the notice comes up "safe to disengage"

Then again i could be wrong and the OP is actually talking about supercruise distance.

Yeah, I worked out it wasn't easy to calculate.

That table is perfect, thank you! My new role of thumb: more than 50,000 ls is >5mins, proceed with caution!
Hutton Orbital is around
minutes on full power assuming you loop out of the orbital plane to minimise other gravity wells.

Top Bottom