Newcomer / Intro Is this normal?

I took a mission to deliver some cargo two star systems away, when going into hyperdrive to get to the first star my speed went in the thousands * C , then I ran into a sun (I assume the star of which the title is named) . I readjusted for the second star jump and I'm going over 1kc its still 5 ly away and I've been at it for quite some time. Just curious as to whether this is just a normal quest which takes some time to complete, its strange that my target destination has maintained 5ly+ away and im going 1kc+ speed.

if youve not been able to jump to the second system, then you may have got too close to the first sun & you would need to find the escape vector to get away from the first sun before you can jump into the next system

I think you are not activating your hyperdrive, and instead is stuck on supercruise. Check your keybindings and make sure you're jumping properly :)

I took a mission to deliver some cargo two star systems away, when going into hyperdrive to get to the first star my speed went in the thousands * C , then I ran into a sun (I assume the star of which the title is named) . I readjusted for the second star jump and I'm going over 1kc its still 5 ly away and I've been at it for quite some time. Just curious as to whether this is just a normal quest which takes some time to complete, its strange that my target destination has maintained 5ly+ away and im going 1kc+ speed.

There are three different methods of traveling around the galaxy.
1) Thrusters - Normal Space (combat, docking at stations, flying into station walls)
2) Supercruise - Travel between planetary bodies and stations within a Solar System.
3) Hyperdrive - Travel between two different Solar Systems.

My assumption from your post is that you are going through systems A-->B-->C. You engaged your Hyperdrive to get from A-->B, and you're currently in B in Supercruise, trying to get to C. You just need to engage your Frame Shift Drive again (unless you have Hyperdrive set up to a separate key), and you'll do another jump.

Also to note: You cannot travel between two different star systems in Supercruise. You have to use the Hyperdrive.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38366

D
-- Deleted --

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you should be able to (hard to tell what would be more fuel efficient).
But the current instancing is "too dumb" to recognize any such attempt and you'll end up just really really far away, still basically in your old System. The needed Hyperjump to the Destination, however, does indeed reflect the shorter jump distance (In the extreme case that you actually made it to the distance, so you'd make even a 0.0 LY "Jump")

There have been a few people who have tested this on short distances between systems and confirmed that each solar system is instanced.

Top Bottom