Is this release the biggest flop yet??

We're the testing team... and we still are ;)

In fairness to FDev though this is probably the most ambitious expension though, so teething troubles were always likely to be an issue once the game was scaled up to (tens of) thousands of players.

It's a complex expansion, it runs, I'm happy to work around any bugs I find.

If I was given the option to play it now in this state or wait for a release 4-5 months away for something a bit more polished, I'd always vote the former. I would have called it a public beta, perhaps lowering community expectations, but what's in a name?

If I was given the option to play it now in this state or wait for a release 4-5 months away for something a bit more polished, I'd always vote the former. I would have called it a public beta, perhaps lowering community expectations, but what's in a name?
I was thinking if they'd done a beta (and not done their usual 'we'll break it again afterwards and then ship' then it could have been good. But there would still have been a lot of things you only see in the 'live' galaxy ... undecided. Certainly it would have been helpful if they'd actually fixed issues from Alpha (not being able to get out of Apex / high temp settlements were both widely reported and still broken now).

It's a complex expansion, it runs, I'm happy to work around any bugs I find.

Public beta would means nothing would transfer over. I much prefer being able to play EDO 'for real' than hovering in beta limbo. Let the people who are unhappy with EDO simply continue with Horizons for a while.

Public beta would means nothing would transfer over. I much prefer being able to play EDO 'for real' than hovering in beta limbo. Let the people who are unhappy with EDO simply continue with Horizons for a while.
True - I'm getting mats even if I'm failing the missions. Just wish I wasn't having the missions fail :)

Deleted member 115407

D
With gamers everything is the worst thing ever. I was at the release of ED, EDH, NMS, X:R and X4, and each was hailed as the Greatest Doom Ever. Personally my awards would go to either NMS (literally could not be launched with min specs due to last minute changes in OpenGL requirements), those who were able to play found a game with major features explicitly confirmed days earlier wholly missing. Or X:R (games would inevitably suffer a total economic crash and shutdown within the hour, devs took over a year to fix it and asked us to hexedit our saves periodically in the meantime).

EDO has its issues for sure. But I can actually play it with a system vastky below min specs, and the game itself pretty much just works. Performance issues? Sure. Graphical oddities? Sure. Minor bugs? Sure. But by and large you can play it and it works, which already means it is not in the same category as some of the above 'competitors'.

And as some as the old timers here know, we had earlier patches that were in a sense worse. We learned for a reason not to use our main ships on day1. Back when 'minor collission is instant death' bug was released, or the 'enjoy these NPCs with rail beams resultng in instant death'. We had a complete refund of every single insurance claim no matter what even. Compared to that EDO isnt even the worst ED patch as you can quite safely play your main account. :p

FD has its work cut out, but lets keep some perspective and not be Comic Book Guy here.
In the meantime, it's fun to troll FD on the forums and read freak-out posts from other people.

Last edited by a moderator:
With gamers everything is the worst thing ever. I was at the release of ED, EDH, NMS, X:R and X4, and each was hailed as the Greatest Doom Ever. Personally my awards would go to either NMS (literally could not be launched with min specs due to last minute changes in OpenGL requirements), those who were able to play found a game with major features explicitly confirmed days earlier wholly missing. Or X:R (games would inevitably suffer a total economic crash and shutdown within the hour, devs took over a year to fix it and asked us to hexedit our saves periodically in the meantime).

EDO has its issues for sure. But I can actually play it with a system vastky below min specs, and the game itself pretty much just works. Performance issues? Sure. Graphical oddities? Sure. Minor bugs? Sure. But by and large you can play it and it works, which already means it is not in the same category as some of the above 'competitors'.

And as some as the old timers here know, we had earlier patches that were in a sense worse. We learned for a reason not to use our main ships on day1. Back when 'minor collission is instant death' bug was released, or the 'enjoy these NPCs with rail beams resultng in instant death'. We had a complete refund of every single insurance claim no matter what even. Compared to that EDO isnt even the worst ED patch as you can quite safely play your main account. :p

FD has its work cut out, but lets keep some perspective and not be Comic Book Guy here.

cool story .... now it's my fault that they have been showing and saying pure smoke for months ?.... new planetary technology ?? do not make me laugh, the degradation is abysmal .... walking through a ship gets old quickly ... but taking trips of more than 10 minutes without doing anything? multiple falls do not age? make a mess every time they put an interface that nobody else asked not getting old?
Those of you who defend the game the most, you think you love the game, but you don't love it at all, you have 0 passion for the game and 0 love for the good development of video games, that is my opinion, it is not possible to show so much passivity and complicity in the face of this grotesque in which they have worked for 3 or 4 years.

cool story .... now it's my fault that they have been showing and saying pure smoke for months ?.... new planetary technology ?? do not make me laugh, the degradation is abysmal .... walking through a ship gets old quickly ... but taking trips of more than 10 minutes without doing anything? multiple falls do not age? make a mess every time they put an interface that nobody else asked not getting old?
Those of you who defend the game the most, you think you love the game, but you don't love it at all, you have 0 passion for the game and 0 love for the good development of video games, that is my opinion, it is not possible to show so much passivity and complicity in the face of this grotesque in which they have worked for 3 or 4 years.
Thank you for sharing Juan. :)

Agreed, NMS was the game that taught me not to preorder anything. Therefore I waited, and bought EDO on the day it was released ;)

See, I love the game, and like everybody else, I want more and better. Currently Horizons is way better than EDO (I don't give diddly about legs). It might get solved like i heard NMS has been. I don't know. I flipped the bird (back) at Sean Murray, and haven't played the game since. During EDO alpha, I started playing MS 2020.

The 35€ I paid was well worth it though. Being part of this mess is epic.

I'm still inclined to think that the decision to continue supporting last-gen consoles has left the devs stuck with the problem of trying to cram a quart into a pint pot. Not an easy trick to pull off.
Regardless of how much truth there is to that statement (and I personally think they`ll manage something just about passable on last-gen - based on last gen`s graphical standards) that would not have had any bearing on what's taken place with Odyssey, so far.

I would imagine the QA team are much like us - we both flagged up issues and it shipped with them anyway ;)
A very important point - QA has likely seen all of these issues - but the decision was made to ship regardless (because its financial year-end)

I'm with you here. I was expecting a wild ride, these kind of games are no single player platformers, there are a lot of things that can't be tested, you need to have real life workload on your infrastructure to see what happens, and then fix the problems that may arise.

There in only one "but".

Performance. It must be sometimes related to server load and network problems, what i saw yersteday morning is worse than what i saw yersteday everning, so it must depend on that too. However, it remains really similar to what we saw in alpha, phase four.

And considering that the devs told that alpha performance was not indicative of the final release, i find this not acceptable.

I kinda think it is just very ambitious and needs some time to adjust?
This is the most positive interpretation I can come up with, while being a very ambitious project is a fact.

Looking at the pandemic and working from home and all that, I like to stay at the most positive interpretation and think everybody deserves the benefit of the doubt.
Of course you can see that differently and rage all you want, but I am very certain it will do precisely nothing to help the situation.

Well yeah, but it's not like they didn't know that deadline a year ago ...

What they didn't know a year ago is how badly their delivery teams would be affected by Covid - and regardless of how bad or well they coped with that, in this set of circumstances, just shipping it out the door at the 11th hour was always going to happen.

Nobody is going to post a profit warning and delay into the next financial year when they know enough people will just buy it anyway.

Top Bottom