Issue Tracker now live!

You can only vote on 4 issues "at any time", which effectively means, ever. Since issues don't disappear once "solved".

And presumably I can't delete votes, so I can never vote on anything again?

votes.jpg

Last edited:
I'd rather they have kept the bug forum open. I like that everything was in one site.

Also the openness and flexibility of the forums give voice to customers better.

Case in point, the pips reset fiasco. Brought up as a bug, dismissed as a design feature. Fixed in the april patch after pushback from clients.
I don't believe this could have evolved into the proper solution using the new site.

Same thing happened with beige-gate.

you guys seem to have never met a Search function before.
Try searching for megaship. Now try searching for turrets. Now try searching for megaship turrets and compare the results.

This is the issue. The search function only indexes subject lines, not contents, and will only find multiple words if they are adjacent in the title. I've tried various combinations of wildcards and Boolean operators but it looks as though it's not geared to parse either.

Perhaps -- and I say this because I nearly fell foul of it myself -- people who were used to the Bug Forum search are trying the same search parameters, hitting an empty page and assuming nobody else has reported it. They then submit another report, using a subject line containing the same combination of words that their own search failed to pick up, and the cycle repeats.

If you only search for single words then it's more likely to yield results, but if it's a common word you then have to scroll through the pages of results eight entries at a time. And if there's more than a couple of pages of hits you then have the issue whereby the system doesn't remember which page you were on if you click through to an entry then click Back. It's all a bit of a mess.

This isn't meant as a defence of everyone who posts without searching; some users are lazy and that is a problem with any submission-based system. But a search doesn't always yield what you expect, especially if it's a multi-word search or if the thing you're looking for is mentioned in another report's body text but not in the title.

The Bug Forum wasn't great, but from a player UX perspective it was more functional than what we have now. I don't doubt that the Tracker is a better tool for FD to gain visibility into the relative impacts of the various extant bugs, but as a tool for players to quickly see what's going on it's lacking.

Additional: having just submitted my first "User Contribution" to another user's report, I see that it takes all of the nicely formatted and spaced paragraphs that you put in the submission fields and blats them all onto the page in one solid block of unspaced text that's almost unreadable. The forum-based system used to do odd things to some formatting, but at least you could edit it.

Please add this to the list of issues I have with this barebones system.

I'm seriously disappointed in this Tracker. It reminds me of one of those web-to-email gateways you get on websites run by businesses who'd much sooner have their customers call the helpline and sit in a queue for 45 minutes because phone agents are cheaper than website developers. Those nearly always strip away your formatting as well. Or wait until you've entered a 6000-character screed before telling you there's a 400 character limit. At least the Tracker doesn't do that, AFAIK.

I guess we really should be careful what we wish for. I spent years asking for a focused bug tracker, and right now I'd rather have the forum back.

Additional: having just submitted my first "User Contribution" to another user's report, I see that it takes all of the nicely formatted and spaced paragraphs that you put in the submission fields and blats them all onto the page in one solid block of unspaced text that's almost unreadable.
Odd that it does not do this for me, at least not in the final posting. The screen where you can do a final review of your post does look as you have described, but all the original paragraphing from the initial description entry is preserved in the actual Issue listing post, at least in my experience. The "review" screen is indeed rather clumsy, but it isn't the final form of the report.

Odd that it does not do this for me, at least not in the final posting. The screen where you can do a final review of your post does look as you have described, but all the original paragraphing from the initial description entry is preserved in the actual Issue listing post, at least in my experience. The "review" screen is indeed rather clumsy, but it isn't the final form of the report.
Could be browser dependent (which would be a problem in and of itself). I've refreshed the page with the report and it's all squished, as is the OP's own User Contribution which doesn't look as though it was entered as a single block of text either. I'm using Chrome / Windows 10.

https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/1308

I've just had a look at a few other entries with User Contributions and none of them is showing any formatting, although to be fair they are shorter paragraphs and so may not have been entered with any spacing. Do you have a link to one that's displaying its User Contributions with spacing intact?

EDIT: My bad, I see you were making a User Contribution, not an original report, missed that in your earlier post. Yes, the follow-ups are all unformatted. That isn't obvious to a reader, however. My comments have never been beyond a single paragraph, so I did not see it in my comments either.
Ah, I see. Yes, the original reports look a lot nicer than the User Contributions. I haven't submitted a full report yet, just the UC.

Which sort of ties into what we were discussing earlier about the Search function and duplicate reports. If I have a detailed report that requires formatting for readability, but someone else has already raised it (and assuming I can actually find it with a search) it seems as though I have a binary choice: I can either forego my carefully formatted text in favour of a glorified "me too" User Contribution to keep things readable while hopefully increasing the visibility of the original report, or post it as a separate report and link to the other using a URL. Which may provide more details, but spread over multiple reports. I'm still not seeing that as an improvement on the Bug Reports Forum, at least not from a player UX perspective.

The only positive spin I can put on this is that it appears as though it might offer better visibility for FD into the state of the game, and that's arguably the most important thing if it leads to faster removal of bugs. Perhaps that's why Patch 1, although a little later than many of us would have liked, was so effective at killing a lot of the really problematic issues with the April Update. Although the cynic in me can't help but note that some of the more game-breaking bugs were heavily discussed in the main forum and other social channels, so the importance of their presence on the Tracker may be open to question. Only FD will have all of those details.

I guess time will tell. Right now it feels like it's been one step forward and two steps back, but I will admit that the potential for the Tracker to become a useful tool is still there if the right things are polished to improve the user experience. The forum worked, but it was pretty much at a dead end as far as adding features.

@Jack Schitt -- My view (so far) is that the User Contributions are mainly a way to say "Me, too," as a means of helping validate the original Issue post so FD will take note. If there is new information in the way the Issue manifests or affects play, I see that as warranting a new post with linked reference to any parallel Issues. I'm about to do that myself re: that Restock 10cr bug (supposedly fixed), as it persists for me but has the added dimension of not being able to resupply my Fighter Bay. New parameters = new Issue.

I have this all day now:

"Unfortunately you are not able to submit an issue at this time. You can still browse existing issues or, alternatively, try again at a later date. "

or

"The issue could not be loaded."

is it because sunday? only me?

EDIT:
Clearing cache made it work again (CTRL+F5)...

Last edited:
Paul... Lets assume you are right and that tickets don't have to be upvoted before they are looked at. Then can you tell me why it has been nearly a month and this issue is still in a 'Confirming' State (https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/446) ? But yet this other issue was created on the 28th of last month and has been confirmed already (https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/1242 )? You say that "They will still review reports even if they haven't been confirmed by multiple others." but in what order? FILO? There have been presumably 796 tickets between 446 and 1242 I have a hard time believing that tickets aren't buried in your stack because of upvoting... A very hard time.

Then can you tell me why it has been nearly a month and this issue is still in a 'Confirming' State (https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/446) ? But yet this other issue was created on the 28th of last month and has been confirmed already (https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/1242 )?
Confirmed does not mean that FD have confirmed it - that is the 'Acknowledged' status. An issue is automatically marked as Confirmed when it has received 10 user contributions (a weird system I know), issue 446 currently has 9.

Just coming back to Elite after a loooong time away.... Things look really nice, however, Where did my on screen controller binding quick tips go?? I have no idea what I'm doing now and I have owned Elite for YEARS!!! HELP!!!!!!

What use is an "issue tracker" you can't use?
I click "sign in", give the required credentials, pass the captcha, but am still not signed in.
W7 pro 64bit, Firefox 68.0.1

As of this post 45 items were “Fixed”... the broad majority of which were bugs that came at the hands of updates that were not properly tested prior to roll out as evidenced by the sheer scale of pilots who experienced issues across platforms. And yet how many items still remain confirmed and not fixed... ( at the time of this post FDev had confirmed 102) if this issue tracker was supposed to help speed up the identification and remedy of bugs, then how does this compare to the old method of reporting it on the forums?

If “maintenance mode” is currently underway, how long do we have to wait for things to get fixed... a good bit of which FDev broke upon updates? You have time and personnel to tweak the activation time on arming mines (which breaks it BTW) but not the time to get write code that can correctly add the materials brought to a station under repair. Dolphins overheat... dates from the forums, yet it had to start fro square one. And the Mapping issues is still an issue, no matter what you think you fixed.

My hope is that FDev use the September and December updates to fix things. Forget focusing on this “New Player Experience” excrement. You get the new players when you do big things, like space legs or thargoid FPS. You lose your player base when you change things for what appears to be no reason, fail to fix things you’ve broken, and make the majority of pilots who do the QA you should have done in-house feel like they have to win a popularity contest with their issues, and then wait with no comments from you on when a top-voter confirmed issue will be fixed, if ever.

Top Bottom