Notice Issue with certain Codex discoveries

Will Flanagan

Product Manager
Frontier
Hello Commanders,

We have discovered an issue affecting the accuracy of information (within the Codex) when discovering the following body types:
  • White Dwarfs classes:
    • DO, DOV, DQ, DC and DCV
  • Both terraformable and non-terraformable Ammonia worlds
We have disabled the ability to discover these body types, so your Codex will not be updated with either new discoveries or updated records when scanned. However, you can still sell the resulting exploration data.

We’re currently investigating a fix for this issue and will provide more details and information on it and the effect it may have on any pre-existing Codex entries for these seven specific bodies.

Thank you for your understanding!

Last edited:
We’re currently investigating a fix for this issue
I have it on good authority this bug is caused by the faulty graphic shaders being used on the PS4. Fix the shaders and this Codex bug will go away.

Hey, the POI "SCANNING...." forever bug is tied to framerate, so it's not that far-fetched of an idea!

Wait, wait, wait and wait!

So all those ammonia worlds I have for turn in will be holes in the system scans for the last 80,000 LY? If so....Oy Vey!!!!

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Hello Commanders,

We have discovered an issue affecting the accuracy of information (within the Codex) when discovering the following body types:
  • White Dwarfs classes:
    • DO, DOV, DQ, DC and DCV
  • Both terraformable and non-terraformable Ammonia worlds
We have disabled the ability to discover these body types, so your Codex will not be updated with either new discoveries or updated records when scanned. However, you can still sell the resulting exploration data.

We’re currently investigating a fix for this issue and will provide more details and information on it and the effect it may have on any pre-existing Codex entries for these seven specific bodies.

Thank you for your understanding!

Sorry, I reported both of these issues when 3.3 went live, and you're now telling us that you've discovered them. And also you're disabling our ability to discover these bodies?

I'm done.

But before I go, would you like to comment as to when this will be making it into the game? https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/issue-regarding-codex-records.466593/ You informed us about it 18 weeks ago, and it's still not in the game!

FDev QA department working as well as ever then

Do not blame QA for this!

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Oh also, while you're investigating what "effect it may have on any pre-existing Codex entries" please bear in mind that I have 77 reports recorded in the Codex across many different regions, just for White Dwarfs. Whatever you do, please do not lose the months of work that I put in to discovering and adding those to the Codex.

3 months into a 6 month customer focused Exploration Expedition, you manage to screw up the discovery bounties...... Have you ever heard of 'Change Management'? If not then gimme a call...

Give Will a break, he's a community manager, not the programmer himself. I'm sure the guy reported everything he could, it's up to dev managers to try fix this. This comment is also about him reporting something in Dec 2018.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Give Will a break, he's a community manager, not the programmer himself. I'm sure the guy reported everything he could, it's up to dev managers to try fix this. This comment is also about him reporting something in Dec 2018.
I'm not mad at Will in particular, I am very upset at the project management of Elite over the last 10 months or so. I am however upset at the Community Management team for their lack of responses to threads and to unclear information in posts. Have a look at that thread I linked, that was a big issue for explorers and came just days after finding out the Codex wasn't going to be retroactive as we were lead to believe in the run up to the release of 3.3. Not a single reply from anyone at FD. In fact other than initial posts in threads, there have been no replies from any of the team about Exploration or the Codex. There has been communication on other parts of the game that had issues.

Fair enough... I don't know, I feel like the ED team is on the right track. Everything since 3.0 I loved very much. Big credits to Adam Woods. I love exploring, but I guess I'm nowhere dedicated as some of you guys so I don't see those bugs myself (just some of them, like seeing occasional non-scanned planet as scanned). But I agree, one of the priorities should be some big bug hunting. An extremely tiring business and a chore... but important nonetheless.

Fair enough... I don't know, I feel like the ED team is on the right track.
As is your right. Just don't expect the rest of us who have been plagued with various bugs in this game for months (and even years) to join hands with you singing hymns around the campfire...

I had high hopes for the Codex when it arrived, and after 3.3 fully confirmed all entries for 7 regions, but sadly the bugs started piling up and the novelty wore off.

Similarly to Ozric and Old Duck (and many others) I reported the issues/ bugs I discovered, but looking back I'm glad I got out of Codex entry hunting when I did.

Same old story for Elite, could have been amazing, but fell short due to bugs/ poor implementation, and a distinct lack of feedback when issues were raised.

planets I haven't scanned showing up as scanned not fixed.
Relevant patch note (my emphasis):
  • Fixed some cases where planets can appear to be fully scanned when they haven't been
Think you found the exceptions - worrying that there is more than one source for this bug.

Top Bottom