Issue with extreme shadow flickering and shadow contrast on planet surfaces post patch 6, is it just me?

Post patch 6 I'm still find extreme flickering of shadows on planetary surfaces. Wherever there is any contrast it has this issue. The higher the contrast the more extreme the flickering effect. Also additional problem of ice surfaces, specifically where you get the blue and purple planet tech .. the purple shadows pop in with extreme contrast lines between the purple and blue, then you have the flickering shadow issue present as well. I've put it here as a video as on the issue tracker I can only put screengrabs.

Just wondering if this is just an issue I have, or is anyone else seeing this?

Issue tracker here https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/41717

and tagging @sallymorganmoore as well

thanks, o7 :)

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Ah! Some very clear captures of shadowy situations in this video - very helpful with further investigations.
It'd be great to gather more contributions from Commanders who might be suffering shadow shuffles like this kind on the handy ticket there with examples! Thanks so, so much for making it.

We'll also of course look into any legacy investigations of shadow issues we might have on this side. It may be that some may have been exacerbated following an update and we need to revist. Lighting is a temperamental thing!

I'd also like to echo, for anyone concerned over the issue tracker table saying that lighting was fixed for Update 6, the bulk majority was addressed from previous investigations and major reports, however we are still absolutely taking on any serious issues still happening with it morving forward, as individual issues, if they're reported and poked o7

yeah, i have upped the texture size in the config file before now to get rid of this. it doesn't help when your screen res is high than the value etc. i switch mine to 3840 due to playing in 4k.
hopefully fdev adust the values to be more in line with people playing above 1080p now days

I'd also like to echo, for anyone concerned over the issue tracker table saying that lighting was fixed for Update 6, the bulk majority was addressed from previous investigations and major reports, however we are still absolutely taking on any serious issues still happening with it morving forward, as individual issues, if they're reported and poked o7
Thank you soooo much for reassuring us over this!!!!!

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Thank you soooo much for reassuring us over this!!!!!

No problem at all, you could tell the potential concerns and confusion in stream chat last night so just wanted to put it out there that these issues - when marked resolved - don't mean we strike a line under and never speak of it again. That's JUST to the point of major implementation. Any issues can be reported and addressed separately :)

Will add my two cents to the tracker. Yes I see it too! Just recorded a quick clip, not as detailed as Rheeney's, but you can see the shadows flickering and moving around

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-14eHDXOfg
I think this is caused by low poly distant terrain loading in high res terrain when you get closer exacerbated by the low angle of the star in a dawn area that stretches shadows. This is very visible when you're doing a glide at a dawn area in very hilly terrain. I can't even begin to think of a wayto solve this issue with the technology I am aware of.

I think this is caused by low poly distant terrain loading in high res terrain when you get closer exacerbated by the low angle of the star in a dawn area that stretches shadows. This is very visible when you're doing a glide at a dawn area in very hilly terrain. I can't even begin to think of a wayto solve this issue with the technology I am aware of.
But it wasnt like this in Horizons, so I'm unsure of why it is such a problem in Odyssey when it's not been so apparent in the game before. That leads me to hope that it is a bug of sorts and there can be a solution for it.

Yeah planetary shadows are less borked than at launch but still pretty weird at times.

Shadows flicker in other places too, like station hangars. You can see shadows rotate, deform and flicker while sitting in your ship. No clue what is casting the shadows. Doesn't matter if it's on ultra or not.

There's also shadow flicker on the Corvette when pointing at stars. At certain shallow angles it triggers intense flickering over the nose area.

Finally there are issues of how shadows are cast around and on different parts of the ship, it appears that a shadow can exist or disappear depending on where the camera is (instead of being cast according to the light source).
Source: https://youtu.be/VmfkOF35rcg

it appears that a shadow can exist or disappear depending on where the camera is (instead of being cast according to the light source).
Yes. I see this lots and its very distracting, very noticeable when using headtracking. Shadows are changing depending on head/camera position rather than light source.

Yes. I see this lots and its very distracting, very noticeable when using headtracking. Shadows are changing depending on head/camera position rather than light source.
This is part and parcel of shadow mapping just due to how it works, and the need to use relatively low resolution textures for the shadow maps: for every light, the scene is rendered (for depth information) from that light's perspective (up to six times for omni-directional lights), and then when the main camera view is lit, the pixel positions are mapped into each light's view in order to get the depth of the pixel from the light's perspective and comparisons done to see if the pixel is shadowed or not. The main cause of trouble comes from the resolution of the shadow (depth) map for the light, and possibly any precision issues in the calculation of the pixel's light-relative coordinates. Directional lights (the sun) are actually the worst offenders when it comes to resolution requirements, and so you get multi-stage shadow maps for them, thus the weird changes in shadow quality you often see (ship shadow a fuzzy blob or reasonably clear silhouette, often with a transition cutting the shadow in two). Spotlights are the "friendliest" (one map sized appropriately for the light cone as visible on the screen).

For the records, since update 6 i have noticeable flickering in the hangar shadows (viewing from ship' seat), but i'm subsampling and with low shadows

I have another flicker issue with most planet, but it's due to LOD issues (or something). Terrain is misaligned and flicker when it aligned at close range, and flicker at further range, no idea why for that one.
It's hard to see on a picture, but I made a screenshots to show, with red circle :
lodbug.jpg

This small misalignment will fix itself when I'm close enough, but it's repeated all over the landscape, and it flickers.

I tried everything to fix it, but it doesn't go away.

Top Bottom