Issues with Position Snap

So I'm not entirely sure if this is a bug or not, or if something changed, but somewhere along the updates the position snap of some objects have become wonkey. Especially noticeable in plaster pieces recently, it just never really centers on wall or floor/ceiling pieces.

PlanetZoo_2020-10-18_09-46-39.png

PlanetZoo_2020-10-18_09-55-09.png

Here's two examples. Both were placed on top of the floor piece, which then make it almost 15% rotated. Although you'd expect that they'd be centered right away, I can live with having to rotate it once. But the fact that they're always slightly off is infuriating to say the least, because these small changes can end up being massive by the end of it.

I'm pretty sure it worked at one point in time, but in one of the updates something really went wrong. I'm not sure if this is really a bug; but it's annoying to say the least :p

oO Oh, okay, obviously I am not too dumb to building lately. I have a similar problem where it leads to objects not being straight, even when put on a straight wall. The last update messded up a lot with building (including the axes). It's that one time I am not pleased with Frontiers quality testing (or lack thereoff in this update).

Hey all, the team have asked if you could provide us with names of the objects you're having issues with, or if you could provide us with videos. Screenshots wouldn't work for this, but videos would be super useful! Thanks all ♥
I checked it out and I think I found the reason behind it. If your group isn't on the world axis, the position snap doesn't center like it does with the when it is aligned to the world axis.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOpYDQDtXBY

I guess it's probably not a "bug bug", and probably intended behaviour, but it's a bit annoying to say the least 😅

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
Thanks, @Iben! The devs wanted me to say:
Some background - We introduced 'panel' pieces that look almost identical to walls/floors around Planet Zoo: South America Pack, these have the same textures as the walls, but can be freely rotated to allow for greater customisation.

You switched from the grid piece to the panel piece in the video, so it looks like your issue could be that it's difficult to get a pinpoint rotation on the 'panel' objects to match the grid objects - it doesn't currently snap when going from grid to a non-grid piece, whereas the objects do snap when going from the edges of panel to panel, or when using the grid for alignment.

Does that accurately describe your issue?

Possible workarounds:
Taking off angle snap temporarily will help, but we could see how fractional rotation errors can build up to errors on bigger buildings.

The grid pieces should be perfectly accurate in this regard, so if you need to be strictly accurate, we recommend those, or using those as your framework and covering or replacing with panels after.

The world axis and relative axis should only be important to the alignment of the piece itself, not to the grid or group, so unless we are misunderstanding, we don't think that's the root of your issue - but these are hard to describe for us as well.

With the world axis and rotating an object - could you please make it that when rotating - that the red and blue axis's do not disappear leaving only the green. It makes it impossibly hard to rotate logs - when all you have to judge the turn/rotation is the patterning on the log - which is tiny usually and hard to see, thanks G

I've noticed this happens a lot with the Australian curved roof pieces. When placed on top of a gridded wall piece, the angle of the roof piece is rotated and doesn't line up with the wall. With lots of fiddling, the piece usually will eventually align, but it takes extremely minute mouse movements to get it to work. It's very frustrating. Turning position and rotation snapping off, then back on doesn't really help either. It would be really great if 'snapped' pieces had the same axis as the piece being snapped to. If that is the intended function, then it definitely doesn't work that way for me.

If I place a beam on the large flat side of a wall piece, the axes align correctly, but if I place that same beam on the top of the wall piece, the axis is misaligned. A fix for this would be incredibly helpful.

Top Bottom