It looks like the PlayStation version of Odyssey will be releasing later than we expected....

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Its probably not a massive surprise to any of us. Ultimately its probably the best thing to do, even though its a bit disapointing.

Maybe with the delay, PS5 will get supported. :D

Welcome to life on PS4...
tenor.gif

When will people stop believing FDEV? Look at them, bumbling through update after update, huge walls of text with "fixes and improvements" and when things go into the deep end we have Braben with delays and "please be patient" chants.

I am telling you, at this point it's not them who should be blamed, it's us for still believing.

I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped Playstation like they did with macOS.

This is how it starts. Good luck to us.
Might be time to start saving for a carrier, If everything is winding up on PC I'll want a way to transfer assets, when I get a PC...

.. -.-. . / .- .... . .- -..

Last edited:
I have to admit I'm surprised I was wrong...which is probably a good thing, in a weirdly disappointing but satisfactory way.

I had predicted the console version would launch no matter what, broken and buggy just like EDO...because, I mean, this is FDev. Expecting the most boneheaded development path is kind of a given, seven years on. So while I'm glad to be wrong...being 'glad' isn't really accurate, either.

On the bright side, I can uninstall now. I was hoping to return to Elite, jacked up and all, later this year. Seems there won't be much of a reason to. I don't expect CGs or existing features to deepen. That's the language Braben is using but I don't believe it. There is so much low hanging fruit unexploited in this game. I find it very hard to imagine they'll suddenly start paying attention to the base game.

Instead, I expect EDO to get more development (which is good and needed) but also remain a distinctly 'separate' game from the rest of Elite (which is bad and short-sighted). Regardless, console players have been left out in the cold. Again. Hopefully Elite catches up someday or, if it doesn't, other space titles avail themselves to the consoles.

Here's hoping the 5th anniversary for NMS has some big changes in store!

Its probably not a massive surprise to any of us. Ultimately its probably the best thing to do, even though its a bit disapointing.

Maybe with the delay, PS5 will get supported. :D
I'd say think again, don't think thats on the cards? PC is the central focus for FDEV, even promising to tidy up Odyssey with new content, whilst we'll be able to rot on Horizons and miss out. Its a damned shame as I wanted the next step ( to wander about out of a vehicle) but feel swindled somehow.
I don't mind the pc gamers getting their fixes to the broken DLC, but I do feel the ever increasing chasm of drift away from the console community by FDev in favor of one element.
I have posted in another thread, wondering if they threw some money at console coders to bring console Odyssey up to speed, would it help? But deep dowm I feel that console gamers are the poor relation in all of this arrangement.

I'd say think again, don't think thats on the cards? PC is the central focus for FDEV, even promising to tidy up Odyssey with new content, whilst we'll be able to rot on Horizons and miss out. Its a damned shame as I wanted the next step ( to wander about out of a vehicle) but feel swindled somehow.
I don't mind the pc gamers getting their fixes to the broken DLC, but I do feel the ever increasing chasm of drift away from the console community by FDev in favor of one element.
I have posted in another thread, wondering if they threw some money at console coders to bring console Odyssey up to speed, would it help? But deep dowm I feel that console gamers are the poor relation in all of this arrangement.
Probably Braben would like more of the console community to switch to PC, since they're not really interested to put out a console version any time soon. Hell, they cannot even fix the PC version yet...

They probably think that if they ignore these problems/requests/complaints long enough, they'll just magically go away. Or they could go CDPR way at some point and pridefully declare that the stability "has reached a satisfactory level."

Personally I don't really care much anymore what they do, I will enjoy Horizons while I can and whatever happens, happens.

Probably Braben would like more of the console community to switch to PC, since they're not really interested to put out a console version any time soon. Hell, they cannot even fix the PC version yet...
If that's the case, make it easier for console players to make the switch. Hell, I would've switched myself. Even if it's only one time and permanent, give me the chance to switch ALL my progress over to PC instead of just credits. Having players start from scratch is kind of insane given the hours needed reach what a lot of us have accomplished already.

Yep, this was expected. Though I'm still disappointed, but better than a second Cyberpunk 2077.

Elite Dangerous Odyssey is an important step on a complicated journey, and we must get this right, before we can consider moving on to these new platforms.
I find this sentence regarding "new platforms" interesting. Could this already hint towards PS5, Series X, as PS4/XOne are not really new for ED (just newer than PC). Just a wishful interpretation and I'm aware that this is just in the context of justifying concentrating on the PC version. Not a native speaker here, probably David just meant newer platforms compared to PC.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Welcome to life on PS4...
tenor.gif
We've been here long enough to know this is not really new for PS4. :)

I'd say think again, don't think thats on the cards?
I've made it pretty clear on other threads now, that it is highly doubtful I will bother with Odyssey on PS5 without a native version. Like Aeorath says, what will be, will be, we won't really be able to influence or change anything on the outcome and what ultimately gets released on console will be what gets released (or not, if it goes so badly).

Getting any information about console news is normally very very difficult or impossible and I honestly don't expect that to change going forward.

I'll either get it on PS5, get it on PC or just not bother and play other games. Those are my choices.

David Braben’s latest post suggests that the scale of the work to get EDO into a fit state on PC is a bigger task than senior management had been led to believe. Only now is it starting to dawn on them as to what they need to do. (Assuming it has now downed on them).
all hands to the pump to salvage the DLC.
no roadmap or timescale for console - they don’t want to say when they think it’ll be out. Either because they don’t know or they fear the bad message will further kill their share price.

i fear that Frontier think that porting PC code to console will be a simple job of recompiling.
I fear that console will get a MVP console experience and any console defects will get ignored in favour of PC
i fear that current Gen consoles will get the vanilla console experience through backwards compatibility - any opporunity to make use of the additional processing power will be gimped by having the same code as eight year old hardware.

i would also ask what Frontier expect to do in game for Horizon users whilst they are fixing odyssey. is the game, story, content going to paused for the next ‘x’ months?

i would also ask what Frontier expect to do in game for Horizon users whilst they are fixing odyssey. is the game, story, content going to paused for the next ‘x’ months?
Odyssey story content wise it already was. No Oddysey CGs e.g., as they wanted to wait for the Odyssey story content until every platform has it (not sure if it was communicated that directly, but this was at least my impression in the last few months).

Question is, if it stays like that or whether they'll just start the content before console release.

One addition to my post above: this section in DBs post also could kind of hint slightly towards a change to PS5/Series X (wishful interpretation again):

We do not want to rush into confirming any dates or changes this has on our console release, as we must remain fully focused on the core Elite experience.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I've thought more on this and David could have actually here while delivering bad news to console players could have given us a silver lining confirming or announcing that XS and PS5 support would be added.

The fact that didn't happen. 😟

The console version is a bit in limbo and the wild speculation will get whipped up which is understandable to a certain degree.

Top Bottom