Newcomer / Intro Iv'e been playing this game a few weeks.. I need a Detailed surface scanner

I can't find one for sale anywhere.. I used EDDB and every place it sends me doesn't sell them. I've read and read and nobody seems to know. I have the scanner that came with the ships.. but there is no FSS at all.. which everyone says comes with the ships. I have a ASP explorer I want to use for mining.. etc.. I want to engineer some of the modules.. but I need to scan planets for stuff like Sulfur.

FSS does come with all ships. When you ‘honk’ the system, look up in the top right hand corner and it will tell you the keybindibg to activate the FSS.
As for the DSS, are you looking in the right part? It is a module that fits in the ‘optinal modules’ part of your ship in outfitting.

I can't find one for sale anywhere.. I used EDDB and every place it sends me doesn't sell them. I've read and read and nobody seems to know. I have the scanner that came with the ships.. but there is no FSS at all.. which everyone says comes with the ships. I have a ASP explorer I want to use for mining.. etc.. I want to engineer some of the modules.. but I need to scan planets for stuff like Sulfur.
There's a bit to break down here, others have helped you with the FSS and finding the DSS for sale. I'll look at this bit:
I have a ASP explorer I want to use for mining.. etc.. I want to engineer some of the modules.. but I need to scan planets for stuff like Sulfur.
OK - assuming you're in the Bubble, you won't need any of your scanners to scan for minerals.
Open your System Map, and open the DATA tab shown with the red arrow here:
Sysmap.jpg

This shows you valuable information of the makeup of a body.
Click each landable body in turn (the ones with cyan arcs around them) and scroll to the BOTTOM of the information on the left. Look for - in your case - sulphur. The higher the value assigned, the more likely it is you will find what you need.
Fly to that body, land on it, deploy your SRV and have at 'er, baby!
No FSS or DSS needed.

When combined with EDDB or Inara, you can find the mats you need quickly, easily and enjoyably, if you love running around on the surface - and I do. ;)

Cheers!

There's a bit to break down here, others have helped you with the FSS and finding the DSS for sale. I'll look at this bit:

OK - assuming you're in the Bubble, you won't need any of your scanners to scan for minerals.
Open your System Map, and open the DATA tab shown with the red arrow here:
View attachment 180635
This shows you valuable information of the makeup of a body.
Click each landable body in turn (the ones with cyan arcs around them) and scroll to the BOTTOM of the information on the left. Look for - in your case - sulphur. The higher the value assigned, the more likely it is you will find what you need.
Fly to that body, land on it, deploy your SRV and have at 'er, baby!
No FSS or DSS needed.

When combined with EDDB or Inara, you can find the mats you need quickly, easily and enjoyably, if you love running around on the surface - and I do. ;)

Cheers!
Thanks.... this helps a lot.

Sulphur is very common and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it.

What you may find will give a greater yield is a "geo site". When you are using the FSS to scan planets, the details on the right hand side may reveal that the planet is not only landable, but has volcanic activity.

You can then go to that planet and, in your left hand panel, there will be listed a number of locations planetside that you can fly to - these will say "geological".

Once you have landed at one, jump in the SRV and grab materials - I'm making the assumption you know how to do this. Sulphur will come from the "piceous cobble" fragment you shoot off. Each fragment gives three units of material.

On a side note, you can just fly to a planet without using the FSS to discover its geological makeup and ascertain whether it is laudable and has volcanism. This is what we had to before the FSS tool was given to us.

Er - you can't get a sys map unless you use the FSS (in new systems), and you only get surface geological sites identified on a planetary body by scanning it with DSS probes.
Yes, but if you're looking for mats, you're not going out of the Bubble to do that.

Sulphur is very common and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it.

What you may find will give a greater yield is a "geo site". When you are using the FSS to scan planets, the details on the right hand side may reveal that the planet is not only landable, but has volcanic activity.

You can then go to that planet and, in your left hand panel, there will be listed a number of locations planetside that you can fly to - these will say "geological".

Once you have landed at one, jump in the SRV and grab materials - I'm making the assumption you know how to do this. Sulphur will come from the "piceous cobble" fragment you shoot off. Each fragment gives three units of material.

On a side note, you can just fly to a planet without using the FSS to discover its geological makeup and ascertain whether it is laudable and has volcanism. This is what we had to before the FSS tool was given to us.
Thank you for the help.. I'm really new at this.. I wracked up a LOT of money doing passenger missions.. In 3 weeks.. I've had the Sidewinder, cobra mk4, wanted to do more missions and the cobra didn't have jump range etc.. so I bought the diamondback explorer... I loved it.. but it had to limited cargo and passenger space.. I bought the ASP Explorer.. and finally I've got the Fer De Lance... I kept the ASP for making money.. I have a good bit of storage and can put 2 passanger cabins... I swap those out for my needs. I already engineered the ASP and FDL Frame drive the first level.. I have landed on planets...and tried finding the Sulphur I need.. but I guess I have no clue how to find it in the SRV.. I drove around one planet that said it had lots of Sulphur.. but I can't find it.

Thank you for the help.. I'm really new at this.. I wracked up a LOT of money doing passenger missions.. In 3 weeks.. I've had the Sidewinder, cobra mk4, wanted to do more missions and the cobra didn't have jump range etc.. so I bought the diamondback explorer... I loved it.. but it had to limited cargo and passenger space.. I bought the ASP Explorer.. and finally I've got the Fer De Lance... I kept the ASP for making money.. I have a good bit of storage and can put 2 passanger cabins... I swap those out for my needs. I already engineered the ASP and FDL Frame drive the first level.. I have landed on planets...and tried finding the Sulphur I need.. but I guess I have no clue how to find it in the SRV.. I drove around one planet that said it had lots of Sulphur.. but I can't find it.
That's great, sounds like you're playing a helluva game! (y)
When looking for sulphur, like @Zieman says, shoot at Bronzite Chondrites, Mesosiderites and Outcrops. Remember that you get three units of sulphur for every piece collected, so stick with it; you need 50 pieces to fill your bin.
Finding a good body to mine is important - the higher the percentage of the mineral you need, the more it's likely to be found. In the image I provided earlier, you'll see that the moon targeted - Shinrarta Dezhra A 1 - has 16.4% Sulphur. That's not bad - but even still you can search forever and never see a bean. Just keep trying - you'll find it. :)

While you are blowing up the targets to get Sulpher don't forget to blow up any other targets you see and collect everything you are sure to need some of it in the future and you can always find a Raw materials trader and swap what you have for sulpher or any other raw material you need.

Okay, there are (at least) three ways to get surface materials (plus one way to get them from asteroids).
1) drive around on the surface more or less aimlessly with your SRV. From time to time, you will hear some strange noises coming from your wave scanner, and a (more or less fuzzy) signal displayed on it. Drive towards those signals, and you'll find the sources - often rocks you can shoot, occasionally other stuff:
http://wavescanner.net/ (sound on!)
Shoot those rocks (they will show up as targetable on your contacts tab and the main scanner), then target the fragments, deploy the cargo scoop and pick them up. IIRC all the materials necessary for the basic engineering can be found right on the ENgineer's planets.

2) Find geological sites ("volcanism") on some of the landable planets, using the DSS. Each geo site will have a lot of vents, and some of those vents will have stuff on them you can shoot down and collect. You can collect all the materials that are available on that planet from these sites, also the rarer materials - but for common stuff, like Sulphur, you won't need these sites.

13917kp.jpg

3) Find biological sites - the most famous and profitable ones are "crystalline shards". The closest known locations for those are ~1800 ly from the bubble, but there's usually a carrier or five going there. You can collect the highest grade materials from those shards and fill up your bins, then visit a material trader and trade down to whatever you like. The (currently) standard procedure for collecting mats this way is described here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...terials-bins-using-crystalline-shards.481235/ - biut again, if all you need is Sulphur and other common materials, it's not worth the trouble.

While you are blowing up the targets to get Sulpher don't forget to blow up any other targets you see and collect everything you are sure to need some of it in the future and you can always find a Raw materials trader and swap what you have for sulpher or any other raw material you need.
Soo.. I found a moon with 27% sulfur.. I landed.. took the SRV.. drove and drove.. my scanner kept telling me there was small stuff here and there..All I found was small rocks and some bigger boulders.. I blasted them.. and never broke one.. not even a little bit.. I did this over and over finding nothing. Previous replies tell me to look for Bronzite Chondrites, Mesosiderites and Outcrops .. of course those could come up and bite me and I wouldn't know what they were. They tell me when I get close my scanner will show them and target.. and of course they did nothing.

You can only break the rocks that show up as targets on your scanner. You can (don't need to, though) target them, and you'll also see them in your "contacts" tab.

Quick search found an old video, but the mechanics are still the same:

First rock - a Bronzite Chondrite - is at around 4:15

Have a look at this site:

That shows you what each of the different types of signals you can receive on your wavescanner look and sound like.

The wider the arc, the further away the source is. As you drive towards the centre of the arc it shrinks until within 250m of the object a white square icon will appear on your radar map screen / display. Target that, shoot it when within 50m, bits fly off some of which show as white squares on that screen and you can target them visually (or via the contacts panel) - open cargo scoop, drive over to scoop it up. You only scoop up targeted fragments.

You can only break the rocks that show up as targets on your scanner. You can (don't need to, though) target them, and you'll also see them in your "contacts" tab.

Quick search found an old video, but the mechanics are still the same:

First rock - a Bronzite Chondrite - is at around 4:15
Ok.. I found a planet with sulphur and I found the rocks.. and I blasted them in to smaller rocks.. my cargo scoop was deployed.. it said it was.. the voice said it was.. but it never would grab the rocks.. I ran over and over them.. I have no clue

Ok.. I found a planet with sulphur and I found the rocks.. and I blasted them in to smaller rocks.. my cargo scoop was deployed.. it said it was.. the voice said it was.. but it never would grab the rocks.. I ran over and over them.. I have no clue

Perhaps if you read the last sentence in my post (#18) above yours you might find a clue.

tenor.gif

Top Bottom