I've just moved my VR to the next level - with motion

I hope that beer holder is gimballed? It would be tragic if you wasted good beer by pulling a radical manoeuvre and spilled it everywhere.

Hi Hell Razor5543,

already had an 'alcohol overboard and over me' incident, so special attention went into the beer holder, lol

Hi Hell Razor5543,

already had an 'alcohol overboard and over me' incident, so special attention went into the beer holder, lol

Could try one of these self gimballed beer holders:
dsc_0253.jpg

Got one coming via eBay, wonder how it works with the rift...

Last edited:
Well, I know of a way to keep the beer in a bottle until you are ready for a swig, and does not need you to do much. You will need to use a bottle with a screw top lid (a bottle you can re-use, so keep it clean). Drill a hole into the lid, and then fit some food safe flexible piping (long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle at one end, and your mouth at the other). Make sure that, where it passes through the lid, it is an airtight seal. That will stop it leaking, but it will (unless you know the trick) also stop you from sucking fluid out of the bottle. The trick here is to BLOW down the tubing. That will (as gas is compressible while fluid is not) then go to the top of the bottle, and will help push fluid out of the bottle (and into your mouth). What you will get is this; Blow, followed by Jet.

Hi Max,
That's how I've set it up. When I pull back on the joystick (which is what I'm assuming you mean by 'joystick down'), the seat tips back to simulate the g-force and motion of pitching up and vice-versa for joystick forward. Likewise, if I joystick left (roll left), the seat tips to the left and vice-versa for roll right. These effects work well in ED with 2 degrees of freedom.
On the otherhand and in the 'real world', if you imagine driving a car at speed and suddenly turning the steering left, the resultant force would make your body try and move to the right. This effect would give a more realistic effect although it would not work very well in ED (with 2dof) as the resultant forces are relatively small and change frequently while gaming (when compared to car driving in the real world).

You misunderstand. Pitching up should should push you forward. Like when you break in a car you go forward, and when you accelerate you go back. So when the ship pitches down the seat should go back to simulate g-force. If the ship rolls to the right, the seat should go to the left. To me that would feel more accurate.

Hi Hell Razor5543,

So this is what they call 'splash damage'! :D

Personally I think if you document the parts list, take photos and a baisc how-to, you could sell it... easily. A few sales to get started on a refined version... hey you're in the sim-pit business.
Most of us, er well me, don't have the nous or the understanding when it comes to wiper motor actuators or the driving software. You've already bridged that gap!

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I know of a way to keep the beer in a bottle until you are ready for a swig, and does not need you to do much. You will need to use a bottle with a screw top lid (a bottle you can re-use, so keep it clean). Drill a hole into the lid, and then fit some food safe flexible piping (long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle at one end, and your mouth at the other). Make sure that, where it passes through the lid, it is an airtight seal. That will stop it leaking, but it will (unless you know the trick) also stop you from sucking fluid out of the bottle. The trick here is to BLOW down the tubing. That will (as gas is compressible while fluid is not) then go to the top of the bottle, and will help push fluid out of the bottle (and into your mouth). What you will get is this; Blow, followed by Jet.

I'm not sure this is compatible with beer.

You misunderstand. Pitching up should should push you forward. Like when you break in a car you go forward, and when you accelerate you go back. So when the ship pitches down the seat should go back to simulate g-force. If the ship rolls to the right, the seat should go to the left. To me that would feel more accurate.

Hi again Max.
I see what your saying so this morning I swapped the direction assignments over in the software for both roll and pitch and went for a fly about. I gotta say, in the roll actions it is a lot more realistic ! - thanks for that. It didn't feel right in the pitch movements though so I reverted back to my orig pitch setting. As I increase the number of DOF's in the future it may likely work well for surge though (thrust forw/rev) but I'm now gonna keep the roll as you suggested - cheers.
CMDR Blastard

- - - Updated - - -

this is amazing! where's the video tutorial ;)

Hi Aekero,

here is a link to my build on the Xsimulator forum (in the new project section).
https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/my-pilot-chair-project-v1.9886/

Last edited:
Glad I helped. Looks great I have to say and would like to do something like it myself.

Max, I just played ED for the afternoon. First 3 hours set up as I described (roll reversed and pitch as I originally had it coz it didnt feel right). I then decided to try the pitch setting again so for the next 3 hours gave it another try with pitch reversed too (for more than a few minutes this time). You know what? -I'm of the conclusion it does work. It really does and it makes sense. Its made flying even more enjoyable now (and I get a good workout!). My body now weaves about in opposition to my direction just like it would in rl. I'm impressed. Thanks again for the tips!

Hi again Max.
I see what your saying so this morning I swapped the direction assignments over in the software for both roll and pitch and went for a fly about. I gotta say, in the roll actions it is a lot more realistic ! - thanks for that. It didn't feel right in the pitch movements though so I reverted back to my orig pitch setting. As I increase the number of DOF's in the future it may likely work well for surge though (thrust forw/rev) but I'm now gonna keep the roll as you suggested - cheers.
CMDR Blastard

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Aekero,

here is a link to my build on the Xsimulator forum (in the new project section).
https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/my-pilot-chair-project-v1.9886/

I think Max Factor is actually talking about surge, that is the "sliding forward and backward", whereas you were talking about pitch. I think your settings are correct for pitch (pulling the stick towards you tilts the chair back, pushing it forward tilts the chair forward) and I see you have the "roll" correct now (stick to the right should tilt the chair to the left as your body would be pressed against the left side of the chair :). Your sim may or may not support actual surge, if it did, what Max is saying is how you'd want it, burst of speed would push you horizontally backward in the chair. But most people do not have surge, and they do indeed simulate increase in surge with a little tilt backward and decrease in surge ("braking") with a little tilt forward.

With videos like your around, and years after the first requests for it, it sure would be nice to know if Frontier ever plans on adding official telemetry data for us motion users. It would probably take one of their developers a day to implement it, and then there could be all kinds of fun hardware taking advantage of their space sim... The number of users would be small, but so would the effort and it'd really stretch the cool factor of the game.

Last edited:
I have found that, after adding Touch to my Oculus, the level of detail within games appears to have gone up slightly. I believe that this may be due to better triangulation of the headset. You can buy a sensor on its own for around £50.

That's super.Well done, CMDR.

If you ever make an instructional/how-to, please post a link!

Last edited:
Brilliant...and like mp4x has said, get some step by step instructions going. I will subscribe !

repped for invention and better the ED Experience.

Top Bottom