ANNOUNCEMENT January Update - Beta End

I don't think 5 days was anywhere near sufficient time to thoroughly test (but I lost most of my weekend playtime to family - much the same for our US players too I imagine) all we had suggested, another 7-10 days would have been better for me :) (I'm selfish too!)

It certainly wasn't enough to test the effects of the new BGS states.

It certainly wasn't enough to test the effects of the new BGS states.
Not for us. But Fdev may have got enough information to see if there are some issues. But I doubt to will pick up every issue. The good thing about BGS stuff is that it's server side. Most fixes don't need a client update.

Crazy to see the issue I stopped playing for still hasn't been addressed. If you're wondering I stopped because multicrew connection issues, instancing is garbage and hardly ever works to keep wings of people fighting each other in the same instance, being forced into instances with no one or 2 to 3 people in the instance despite most of my friends being in an instance together with loads of people. Constantly feeling like I'm playing by myself, private and solo groups affecting open play with no way for open players to stop ot thwart the efforts of private and solo. I just came back to see if anything has changed and you guys address like 5-10 things your gonna try and fix? What the hell have you been doing?

Any comment on the BGS states that didn't make the Beta-cut? That is;
  • Technological Leap
  • Colonisation
  • Historic Event
  • Cold War
  • Trade War
  • Revolution

These just things that got templated in code but ditched?

Any comment on the BGS states that didn't make the Beta-cut? That is;
  • Technological Leap
  • Colonisation
  • Historic Event
  • Cold War
  • Trade War
  • Revolution

These just things that got templated in code but ditched?
These things would likely have huge effects. Any technological leap would have to be followed by a new module, ship, or commodity. Historic event would occur on a massive scale. Colonisation has actually happened, but it wasn't a system state (think witch-head and colonia).

These things would likely have huge effects. Any technological leap would have to be followed by a new module, ship, or commodity. Historic event would occur on a massive scale. Colonisation has actually happened, but it wasn't a system state (think witch-head and colonia).
See, I'd love to say "yeah, sure"... but given the whimper-effects that Public Holiday, Terrorist Attack, Infrastructure Failure, Natural Disaster and Drought have been consigned to, I'm not convinced that would be the case.

Rather, the effects, if they were put in, are possibly more likely to be:
  • Technological Leap: Increase in tech level behind the scenes, which makes more outfitting/ships available, for the duration of the state
  • Colonisation: Increases population in the system, decreases economy/security .
  • Historic Event: Increases economy from tourism/decreases security due to dramatic increase in outside observers.
  • Cold War: Replaces election when two authoritarians go to conflict, outcome determination could be anything.
  • Trade War: Replaces election when two corporations go to conflict, outcome determined primarily by trade actions
  • Revolution: A special conflict that occurs in place of a "standard" conflict when undertaking a coup war (over 65% influence and not the controlling faction)

I'd love for them to be more complex than that, like you suggest, but when the new BGS states we are getting:
  • Don't come with any new missions/USS/POIs or scenarios
  • Don't cause any noteworthy effects e.g Infrastructure failure/Terrorism causing a station to become damaged.
  • Only seem to have trade effects associated with them.

... it's hard to imagine these other states having significant effects, if they even make it to the game.

See, I'd love to say "yeah, sure"... but given the whimper-effects that Public Holiday, Terrorist Attack, Infrastructure Failure, Natural Disaster and Drought have been consigned to, I'm not convinced that would be the case.

Rather, the effects, if they were put in, are possibly more likely to be:
  • Technological Leap: Increase in tech level behind the scenes, which makes more outfitting/ships available, for the duration of the state
  • Colonisation: Increases population in the system, decreases economy/security .
  • Historic Event: Increases economy from tourism/decreases security due to dramatic increase in outside observers.
  • Cold War: Replaces election when two authoritarians go to conflict, outcome determination could be anything.
  • Trade War: Replaces election when two corporations go to conflict, outcome determined primarily by trade actions
  • Revolution: A special conflict that occurs in place of a "standard" conflict when undertaking a coup war (over 65% influence and not the controlling faction)

I'd love for them to be more complex than that, like you suggest, but when the new BGS states we are getting:
  • Don't come with any new missions/USS/POIs or scenarios
  • Don't cause any noteworthy effects e.g Infrastructure failure/Terrorism causing a station to become damaged.
  • Only seem to have trade effects associated with them.

... it's hard to imagine these other states having significant effects, if they even make it to the game.
Oh, well. Fdev will get it done just after they fix powerplay ;)

They don't automatically uninstall. On the plus side, if you have downloaded the beta it will significantly speed up your patch process when the update goes live.
Will the official update clean up any unused beta code / assets left behind? I don't want to clutter up my game drive with beta scraps - I'll just skip future betas if not.

Will the official update clean up any unused beta code / assets left behind? I don't want to clutter up my game drive with beta scraps - I'll just skip future betas if not.
Usually it doesn't, but deleting it manually isn't a big deal, and if you know what you are doing it can save time when downloading the final release.

You can uninstall a beta while it's still an option to launch it on the launcher (ie while the beta is still running) but you can do it manually too.

Open windows explorer (right-click on the win10 start button & select 'file explorer'), then navigate to
C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\

You should see two folders, one is called 'elite-dangerous-64', that's the live game. The other will be called 'PUBLIC_TEST_SERVER_64', you can delete that one if you like. If you delete the wrong one you'll have to reinstall the game.

I'd just wish to have a "check box" in control options to turn "ON" the "Relative Mouse X Axis" and "Relative Mouse Y Axis" whenever we turn "Flight Assis Off" whilst in-game.

This is a quite simple suggestion and easy to implement that will help us a lot during our engagements with Thargoids...

Top Bottom