[Journal] Life and times of CMDR Richard Lemon Lander

The plan: I have started a new CMDR to see how far I can get making a living as an Explorer only. No combat (Run Away!), no trade and no missions.
All play will be in Open using modified ironman rules based upon Mossfoot's pilot ejection tables

This is my second account, CMDR Rusticolus lives on, so progress will be sporadic depending how much exploration Rusticolus is doing - you can have too much of a good thing ;)

I'll try to add some interesting narrative where possible, but there will probably end up being a lot of 'did this, earned that', especially at the beginning.

The start
-----------

I was at Trevithick dock at LHS 3447. It all started when I met an explorer in a bar, telling tales of all the wonders he had seen travelling the galaxy. That got me thinking, servicing and refurbishing fuel scoops isn't a bad living, but it sounds like being the one using and abusing the scoops would be much more fun. So I signed up and went through pilot training, and now here I am, sat in my own little Sidewinder. Well, when I say my own, most of the kit is borrowed but it will get me started.

RLL_Start_Dock.jpg
RLL_Start_Stats.jpg

Interestingly, I met another explorer in the bar, a guy called CMDR Rusticolus, and he gave me a couple of tips to get started - get rid of the lasers and shields. With the low end kit in a stock Sidewinder you need all the help you can get to increase jump range and be able to travel further afield.

The other thing I needed was a fuel scoop...and the only one I could afford costs a whole 248 CR. Its not fast, nor pretty but will do the job. It also meant that I had the basics of an exploration vessel.

RLL_Start_Build.jpg

He also suggested that I find a nice, quiet High Tech system to call home, away from the main systems. He suggested a place called Suya, so I also had a destination for my first journey.

Now, whilst CMDR Rusticolus was happy to give all that advice, he did ask me to do him a little favor. On my way to Suya, he said I would pass through a series of non-scoopable stars. Now, whilst I should normally pay attention to my fuel levels, he wanted me to strand myself on purpose and call some outfit called "The Fuel Rats". Something to do with training?

Anyway, here I am, sat next to a star, near Rotanev, waiting for someone to come and top up my fuel tank. I hope they come soon because I haven't packed any food. Or beer.

RLL_NoFuel.jpg

Last edited:
Oh dear...I suspect that star system is about to experience a serious influx of visitors.

I hope every manages to get in and out again without binning their ships. Hehehe.

Great idea and post!

Well, I now have fuel again, thanks to a couple of very friendly Fuel Rats - CMDRs Loetmichel and Traveller_GG - thank you!

Refueling_1.jpg

Although I am not sure this is how you refuel ;)

Refueling_2.jpg

It was late, so I decided to park up for the night and see what happens tomorrow.

Last edited:
After spending some time resting up and recovering from the excitement of the refueling, I made the last few jumps to Suya. All went without incident and I continued scanning what I could find with my basic scanners. Some explorers in the bars at Trevithick dock talked about orbit lines, parallax and staring at the stars. It all sounded like a lot of work to me, I think I'll just save up for better scanners.

First hurdle to overcome - my first docking since pilot school. All went without incident, although it was a bit scary at the pad, landing without shields! Once docked and all the relevant paperwork sorted, and instructions to the repair crews to buff out a certain scratch on my hull from CMDR Traveller_GG (that's 98 credits you owe me ;) ), I headed off to the local Universal Cartographics to see what the data from my first 15 systems was worth.

RLL_FirstDataSale.jpg

Wow! I can upgrade loads on my ship and still have nearly 14k of data still to sell by travelling a little further!

RLL_MostlyAimless.jpg

And I got my first rank - Mostly Aimless!

After a brief stop at a small bar for a celebratory ale or two, I rushed down to the outfitting depot and started to upgrade my ship.

RLL_FirstUpgrades.jpg

Nice! I can now fly nearly 12.5 ly in one jump :) I think I'll head somewhere to sell the data I already have and then get an even better fuel scoop. I like fuel scoops.

This is great. I pretty much started the game in the same way. Lost a few sidewinders in a few ah crap out of gas moments.

So, after a few days making myself at home at the new station, I decided to take a short trip out to earn some credits for a new ship - I have my eye on a nice Hauler in the local dealership :)

Looking around on the GalMap, I found a White Dwarf only 290 LY away, which is about 30 jumps in the Sidewinder. A 60 system round trip should net me a few thousand credits and get me on the way towards that new ship!

I found a couple of interesting things on the way down, first was this chocolate pudding with shiny rings

Ringed_ChocPud.jpg

Then my first Water World!

FirstWaterWorld.jpg

Nice to see it was first discovered by Andrew Reid - hey Reido!

I got down to FB 186 and looked at the little star. It was little.

When I got back to Suya, I was pleasantly surprised at the first page of data to sell

91k_FirstPAge.jpg

And then even more surprised by this

RLL_First_Discover.jpg

I ended up with nearly 200k credits and made it to Scout!

Scout_Rank.jpg

Plenty of money to get the Hauler although I fancy going out and helping the Fuel Rats for a few days, so managed to work out a budget refueling build :)

HaulerRefuel.jpg

I almost got my first score on the Fuel Rat board today but the wing beacon wouldn't drop me to the right location - when I exited SC there was no-one there and re-entering SC I found I had teleported 18 LS away. This gave another Fuel Rat time to join the wing and drop straight in. Oh well, there is always the next one.

The Fuel Rat who performed the rescue, CMDR Cpt_Shinobi, kindly offered me some valuable cargo but I declined as I want to keep to my original plan - make my living through exploration only.

Top Bottom