Joystick Support?

I already have this game on PC but as soon as I saw it was available for the Xbox One I bought it again because I know how good this game is.

The only downside for me at the moment is the lack of Joystick support as I cannot play it properly/comfortably with a controller.

I know Microsoft will allow Keyboard and Mouse to be used on the consoles if the developers want to add it, but I don't know about Joystick's.

Is Joystick support something that can be added in so I can use my Thrustmaster T-Hotas?

Cheers

Damien

Knowing Microsoft, it will never be something as simple as plug in your favorite joystick or HOTAS.

If anything, which I doubt there will be anything, MS will revamp the Sidewinder series of joysticks. I mean, the name fits, riiiiight? Then they will charge you 200 dollars for the privilege of using a basic joystick. (with FORCE FEEDBACK!!!)

EDIT: Thinking back, I had the MS Sidewinder Force Feedback (1, not 2) in my days of MS Flight Simulator, G-Police and Tie Fighter. That was a good stick. Heavy substantial base, force feedback that could sprain your wrist and smooth operation even after many many hours of abuse. It collects dust on a shelf now, with that damnable game port connection keeping it from joining my current rig. I really wish there was a good way to get them working (I've seen the mods and adapters but they all seem to come short of the full experience....meh.

Last edited:
Look up the Titan for Xbox one. It allows you to use anything for the Xbox one. However we need more options available for mapping first because it uses your controller configuration and piggy backs those commands. So even if you had a flight stick you will be unable to separately keymap your yaw which at the moment is tied to the 2 sticks on Xbox one.

Knowing Microsoft, it will never be something as simple as plug in your favorite joystick or HOTAS.

If anything, which I doubt there will be anything, MS will revamp the Sidewinder series of joysticks. I mean, the name fits, riiiiight? Then they will charge you 200 dollars for the privilege of using a basic joystick. (with FORCE FEEDBACK!!!)

EDIT: Thinking back, I had the MS Sidewinder Force Feedback (1, not 2) in my days of MS Flight Simulator, G-Police and Tie Fighter. That was a good stick. Heavy substantial base, force feedback that could sprain your wrist and smooth operation even after many many hours of abuse. It collects dust on a shelf now, with that damnable game port connection keeping it from joining my current rig. I really wish there was a good way to get them working (I've seen the mods and adapters but they all seem to come short of the full experience....meh.

This game above all else needs support for a HOTAS setup on the Xbone. If somebody on the console ever tried a HOTAS and then went back to a joypad they would understand. Immersion, better control, etc. As you said maybe Microsoft could\will unveil their own branded HOTAS with an excessive $ price attached to it.

Those adapters are indeed ....meh.

Even if they had chat pad support it would help immensely with a title like this, all you got to do is look in the PC control menu, lots of functions to be bound.
Theres only so much you can do with a joypad.
Hell, there's not even thrust forward or backwards on the xbox one......a total nightmare when trying to land in my opinion.

Last edited:
Yep my son the original poster in this thread has, been trying to play the game on the controller and has now given up because he cannot land easily taking nearly 3 minutes to land instead of around 10 seconds when using his joystick.

I miss my sidey... Xwing v Tiefighter, Red Baron2, IL2.... *Sigh*

microsoftjoy1.jpgsidey.jpg

Yep my son the original poster in this thread has, been trying to play the game on the controller and has now given up because he cannot land easily taking nearly 3 minutes to land instead of around 10 seconds when using his joystick.

Why not just use the Docking Computer to land on the pad and fly the approach yourself into the station? I do it all the time while smuggling. Not really having any control issues with the XB1 controller. I could do the entire landing myself, but the DC is just faster at the last part than I am.

Turn off the DC in the modules section until you are ready to land, then throttle to zero and turn it back on. Or leave it on and just keep throttle active until ready for it to take over.

I know a HOTAS would be better, but the XB1 controller isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. At least I wouldn't consider it anywhere near being a deal breaker.

I know a HOTAS would be better, but the XB1 controller isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. At least I wouldn't consider it anywhere near being a deal breaker.

Its mainly FA Off for me. Assist-on the controller is great, but i need to be able to yaw, pitch, roll, and thrust at the same time and thats not currently possible. When the elite controller comes out we can remap and try different things but we'll still end up playing with 8 fingers

Its mainly FA Off for me. Assist-on the controller is great, but i need to be able to yaw, pitch, roll, and thrust at the same time and thats not currently possible. When the elite controller comes out we can remap and try different things but we'll still end up playing with 8 fingers

Yeah... I have one of those on order. Hoping that it makes handling all the multi-functions in this game easier to deal with.

Yeah... I have one of those on order. Hoping that it makes handling all the multi-functions in this game easier to deal with.
I kind of consider building an arcade stick supplemental with a pin cable for like common combo button presses. Like a small 4-6 button pad with quick buttons for fa off, sub targetting, cycle hostile ship, and landing gear for convenience

Please give us a product review when you've gotten familiar with it. Thanks.

I'm sure there will be PLENTY of reviews posted here by other players, but sure. Braben said in his AMA session yesterday that FD will be supporting the Elite Controller. If that means that there will be specific bindings that will only be possible with the Elite remains to be seen, but that is what I am hoping they plan to do regarding the term "support".

I'd much rather use the controller than a flightstick... A stick isn't very sofa friendly!

It would be good though if the console and game did have HOTAS support, for those that want it.

Vote here - even if you are not bothered by it coming or not. It will help give a voice to those that want joystick support.

http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251650-console-accessories/suggestions/6289458-hotas-for-xbox-one
Voted! It would make sense for MS to allow for more third party peripheral support. The more variety of accessible peripherals the more variety in the type of genres that can come to the console. But just because it makes sense doesn't mean they'll do it.

Oh my god I loved G-Police. *REP*

Oh my god I loved G-Police. *REP*

Heh, it came with my Voodoo Graphics card and was way more fun than I thought it would be...I kept that PC for so long, then one day, I turned on the old lass and smoke started to billow from the back....good times :D

Top Bottom