Jump range never recalculates while in the same system

So what I wanted to do was figure out how far you could jump in a ship, if you factored in the reduction in distance if you super-cruised at least part of the way there...

In the images below you'll see that UV CETI was out of my range...but only initially. Both of the screenshots are taken from the same ship. No modifications have been made at all - I didn't even refuel. It seems that the game doesn't take into consideration how far away a system is from your current location...only from what system you're in.

JUMPRANGE1.jpg

JUMPRANGE2.jpg

Yeah, it's rather a pity. Perhaps that will be tweaked at some time; the whole dance of fuel dumping to adjust your mass and supercruising closer to target to max out your jump range would make for great exploration.

First point: You can't SuperCruise between systems. If you could, you wouldn't need permits to reach Sol, just lots of fuel and a some patience.

Second point: Take a look at your two pictures. In the first you're 8.41Ly away from UV CETI, in the second, you're 8.42Ly away from LUYTEN 145-141. But that's not what's allowing you to jump...

Third point: Take a look at your fuel state. In the first your tanks are 3/4 full. In the second you're at half a tank. Looks like you're in a Eagle, so you've got a 4 ton tank. You've burned a quarter of that - a ton of fuel - by fooling around in the system. Your jump distance is changed by the mass of your ship and its now a ton lighter. That's why you can jump 8.42Ly to LUYTEN.

Last edited:
First point: You can't SuperCruise between systems. If you could, you wouldn't need permits to reach Sol, just lots of fuel and a some patience.

Second point: Take a look at your two pictures. In the first you're 8.41Ly away from UV CETI, in the second, you're 8.42Ly away from LUYTEN 145-141. But that's not what's allowing you to jump...

Third point: Take a look at your fuel state. In the first your tanks are 3/4 full. In the second you're at half a tank. Looks like you're in a Eagle, so you've got a 4 ton tank. You've burned a quarter of that - a ton of fuel - by fooling around in the system. Your jump distance is changed by the mass of your ship and its now a ton lighter. That's why you can jump 8.42Ly to LUYTEN.
First point: Irrelevant because I'm talking about jumping.
Second point: Irrelevant because neither require permits.
Third point: No because the jump range indicated by the reduced fuel (via the galaxy map) was shown as 8.53 LY by this point.

Yeah, it's rather a pity. Perhaps that will be tweaked at some time; the whole dance of fuel dumping to adjust your mass and supercruising closer to target to max out your jump range would make for great exploration.
You on the other hand understood exactly what I was saying. Agreed. :)

Yeah, unfortunately that's how it's currently done, for simplicity reasons. The ED galaxy is essentially 400 billion infinite (or else *extremely* large) overlapping boxes.

Jumping from one system to another is always considered to be the same distance, regardless of the jump location in the source system or the arrival point in the destination system. It's a bit immersion breaking - that and the fact that you can't supercruise between systems. No, I wouldn't want to do it that often, but I'd love to think that you could, rather than the current system which kind of reminds you that you really are playing in a massive galaxy of discrete boxes rather than one massive contiguous space.

But then it's one of many such inconsistencies. It's a bit odd too that you can jump 30+Ly in a few seconds, but it takes you 30-40 minutes to travel 0.22Ly to Hutton Orbital.

Yeah I know what you mean who?, but the supercruise-then-jump thing shouldn't be a problem because all the game's doing is checking if the system's now in jump range...the weird thing is that it even shows on the navigation panel when it's in range. When I was supercruising to UV CETI, the panel changed from "EXCESS MASS" to the distance remaining...but it still wouldn't let me jump.

Why does it say Federal congress on the first picture, yet the second one says unexplored? If you are trying to do this in the same star system, then it is a bug and you should post it in the bug section.

This (cruise then jump) is something I was trying to pin down when people started experimenting with interstellar SC.

Real shame that the range is not updated. It would offer interesting new tactic for Explorers - especially since we now have extra fuel tanks.

Why does it say Federal congress on the first picture, yet the second one says unexplored? If you are trying to do this in the same star system, then it is a bug and you should post it in the bug section.
I was in a different system. It's just to illustrate my point about jump range.

This (cruise then jump) is something I was trying to pin down when people started experimenting with interstellar SC.

Real shame that the range is not updated. It would offer interesting new tactic for Explorers - especially since we now have extra fuel tanks.
Totally.

Yeah I know what you mean who?, but the supercruise-then-jump thing shouldn't be a problem because all the game's doing is checking if the system's now in jump range...the weird thing is that it even shows on the navigation panel when it's in range. When I was supercruising to UV CETI, the panel changed from "EXCESS MASS" to the distance remaining...but it still wouldn't let me jump.

So the warning was about the excess mass, but when you got closer in supercruise it changed, you just couldn't jump?

If so, that's a little disappointing. The code is checking for your actual distance (including distance travelled in-system in supercruise) when checking for the Excess Mass warning, but for the actual jump it's solely based on the systems involved, ignoring the in-system location.

That's a little sloppy. And I'm a developer, I know sloppy.

So the warning was about the excess mass, but when you got closer in supercruise it changed, you just couldn't jump?

If so, that's a little disappointing. The code is checking for your actual distance (including distance travelled in-system in supercruise) when checking for the Excess Mass warning, but for the actual jump it's solely based on the systems involved, ignoring the in-system location.

That's a little sloppy. And I'm a developer, I know sloppy.
Yep, exactly dude. I thought the same myself.

I believe the distance there is the distance between the star of your current system and your destination, not the distance between YOU and your destination.

I believe the distance there is the distance between the star of your current system and your destination, not the distance between YOU and your destination.
Where? Do you mean as displayed in the screenshots I took? If so, no...the distance shown is the distance between you and your destination...as I've been talking about for the whole thread.

I am pretty sure the second system was "in range" as you were carrying less fuel in the second screenshot
The lower mass of the ship overall with the less fuel meant that the jump range achievable by the 1.2 tons of fuel the FSD can use was sufficient for the second jump

The lower fuel amount does not reduce jump range unless your fuel level is under the max allowed by the jump drive.

The Eagle has a 4 ton tank and your FSD uses max 1.2 tons per jump, you can see the blue bar indicates even after the second jump you would have fuel left so the lower fuel amount is not limiting your jump range

The FSD Wiki has the formula for working out the jump ranges at the bottom given any given current mass and FSD

Or the easier way, if you don't want to rearrange the equation is to go the the Shipyard tool
Enter in your current ship config and adjust the fuel levels on the top right-hand side and see your max jump range shift below and above 8.42 light years

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the second system was "in range" as you were carrying less fuel in the second screenshot
The lower mass of the ship overall with the less fuel meant that the jump range achievable by the 1.2 tons of fuel the FSD can use was sufficient for the second jump

The lower fuel amount does not reduce jump range unless your fuel level is under the max allowed by the jump drive.

The Eagle has a 4 ton tank and your FSD uses max 1.2 tons per jump, you can see the blue bar indicates even after the second jump you would have fuel left so the lower fuel amount is not limiting your jump range

The FSD Wiki has the formula for working out the jump ranges at the bottom given any given current mass and FSD

Or the easier way, if you don't want to rearrange the equation is to go the the Shipyard tool
Enter in your current ship config and adjust the fuel levels on the top right-hand side and see your max jump range shift below and above 8.42 light years
No...you're wrong. It makes no difference. Here's some more screenshots to prove it:
FULL.jpg

LOW.jpg

Well, I think the reason why the distance to another systems in supercruise stays the same no matter how long and fast you supercruise towards it is that you don't actually approach it in game. This would imply that you could eventually supercruise between systems, and the devs have already made clear that supercruising from system to system is neither possible nor planned:

That's not planned anytime soon.

Good point about the game not calculating jump distances from where you are physically, however I'm sure we'd spend more fuel in SC getting closer to the next star than we would jumping to the next star.

Well, I think the reason why the distance to another systems in supercruise stays the same no matter how long and fast you supercruise towards it is that you don't actually approach it in game. This would imply that you could eventually supercruise between systems, and the devs have already made clear that supercruising from system to system is neither possible nor planned:
Again, it's not about supercruising all the way - I know all about the loading in and all that. It's about being able to jump the distance it says you can!

Good point about the game not calculating jump distances from where you are physically, however I'm sure we'd spend more fuel in SC getting closer to the next star than we would jumping to the next star.
Well you're right, supercruising all the way wouldn't be worth it...but supercruising a little and then jumping increases your jump range...or at least it would if it worked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom