Just got a G2 seems stuck at 45FPS though not sure what's wrong?

Hi guys just got my first VR headset, a Reverb G2. Trying to tweak Elite for it and noticed it seems stuck at 45FPS once I load in past menus. I've tried changing a number of settings in game and in SteamVR's settings but nothing seems to have any effect other than increase/decrease GPU usage or increase/decrease visual fidelity. I can only assume I must have something configured wrong between SteamVR and WMR settings (WMR for SteamVR is also installed). I also have fpsVR installed so I can see all the stats in the game while wearing the headset of course.

I'm running on a 5950X and 2080 Super FTW3 from EVGA, using the V2 of the headset with the new improved cable. Normally in "2D" mode on a 3440x1440 Ultrawide I get ~120 FPS in Jameson Memorial in Odyssey raised up into the station like if you were to depart. Similarly in Horizons I get about 135+. This is with most settings high-ultra as well. I tried lowering a number of settings and nothing had any impact except the HMD scale (forget the exact name). When I set that from 1.0 to 0.5 it did kick up directly to 90 with nothing in between and of course looked horrible. Hoping for some sort of direction on what I'm doing wrong. Google isn't turning up a whole lot for Elite and the G2 for me.

Hi guys just got my first VR headset, a Reverb G2. Trying to tweak Elite for it and noticed it seems stuck at 45FPS once I load in past menus. I've tried changing a number of settings in game and in SteamVR's settings but nothing seems to have any effect other than increase/decrease GPU usage or increase/decrease visual fidelity. I can only assume I must have something configured wrong between SteamVR and WMR settings (WMR for SteamVR is also installed). I also have fpsVR installed so I can see all the stats in the game while wearing the headset of course.

I'm running on a 5950X and 2080 Super FTW3 from EVGA, using the V2 of the headset with the new improved cable. Normally in "2D" mode on a 3440x1440 Ultrawide I get ~120 FPS in Jameson Memorial in Odyssey raised up into the station like if you were to depart. Similarly in Horizons I get about 135+. This is with most settings high-ultra as well. I tried lowering a number of settings and nothing had any impact except the HMD scale (forget the exact name). When I set that from 1.0 to 0.5 it did kick up directly to 90 with nothing in between and of course looked horrible. Hoping for some sort of direction on what I'm doing wrong. Google isn't turning up a whole lot for Elite and the G2 for me.
You’ve got some form of motion smoothing going on there - whether it’s Steam VR or Motion Reprojection via WMR, you’re not able to maintain 90fps with your current settings so the system is halving the frame rate and “guessing” the in-between frames. You should be seeing 90fps in the HMD even though the game is only spitting out 45fps - though usually with some graphical artefacts.

I'm running an HP G2 with the v2 cable on a Ryzen 9 5950x CPU, 32GB 3600MHz RAM, Radeon 6900xt 16GB GPU and a GEN 4 NVMe SSD, all water cooled, so it’s fast.

Even with this setup I have had to make compromises with image quality and screen resolution mainly because Odyssey needs more optimisation by FD. In the worst-case scenarios, ground bases and stations, I’m getting 40/45 fps, everywhere else 60/90 fps. I'm happy with this because I want an image quality closest to 4k as possible.
I use the attached Game and Steam VR settings. If I run the game with just a monitor, I’m in the 100+ fps. The biggest improvements come by using:

AMD FSR 1.0 upscaling not the in game “Normal” upscaling
Reducing the in game “HMD Image Quality”, I use 1.0
Reducing Steams “Resolution Per Eye”, I can run at 132%
Not using Steams “Motion Smoothing”, “Advanced Super Sampling”

Make sure in Windows Mixed Reality Settings >Headset Disply>Frame Rate is set to 90Hz

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-31 154253.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-31 154253.png
    890.4 KB · Views: 335
  • Screenshot 2021-12-31 154323.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-31 154323.png
    295 KB · Views: 396
  • Screenshot 2021-12-31 154817.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-31 154817.png
    443.5 KB · Views: 315
  • Screenshot 2021-12-31 154841.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-31 154841.png
    507.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Screenshot 2021-12-31 154904.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-31 154904.png
    640.9 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Thanks guys I'll check those settings. Also thanks DeckerSolo for the pics. Those look similar to what I'm running (I have a few things turned down a notch due to 2080 Super). I suspect it's the Steam VR settings that are wrong. I was definitely only running 1.0 on the HMD image quality. I just thought it was odd that both versions of the game were doing the same thing, except Horizons was doing it with only about 70% GPU load. My system is fully water cooled as well with a custom loop.

Not using Steams “Motion Smoothing”, “Advanced Super Sampling”
I forgot to ask do you have Motion Reprojection enabled for WMR? I have the OpenXR Dev Tools app installed as it's used to tweak things for MSFS 2020 (which I'm also working on getting going right). I believe that is the same as Steam's "Motion Smoothing" so maybe I should disable it there as well for Elite? It's set to Automatic right now which is probably causing it to kick in unless the Steam option overrides it through the WMR for SteamVR plugin. Starting to think I should have gotten an Index and lived with the god rays lol.

Ok really confused on what's going on. I had motion reprojection/smoothing disabled in OpenXR, WMR for Steam via the interface in the SteamVR Home environment, and in the SteamVR settings. The little box you can enable in WMR for Steam showed a red box in the upper left to indicate it was forced off, yet I see this "reprojection" ratio in fpsVR. It went from almost nothing to 30%+ as soon as I loaded into a station. On the plus side I did seem to get rid of the being stuck at 45fps thing as it would bounce around as high as 60 briefly, but I don't know what fpsVR is talking about with that reprojection ratio. Note it only shows at mid 20's in the attached image I had to load back in and capture the pic again. Apparently windowskey + shift + s doesn't work right on the desktop when in VR lol.
fpsVR_pic.jpg

Looks right enough, at a glance. For 90fps, you want a frametime below 11 milliseconds (1 divided by 90), and as soon as you go over, the VR runtime will substitute a reprojected copy of the previous frame, in place of the intended one which didn't finish rendering in time for its targetted screen refresh, and which will go to the next refresh instead (...or the next again, if it still isn't done). There is quite a bit more to render in a station, than out in empty space.

I don't know about WMR, but usually when a headset is not SteamVR "native", SteamVR defers functions such as reprojection to the "host" runtime, that the headset IS native to. :7

Looks right enough, at a glance. For 90fps, you want a frametime below 11 milliseconds (1 divided by 90), and as soon as you go over, the VR runtime will substitute a reprojected copy of the previous frame, in place of the intended one which didn't finish rendering in time for its targetted screen refresh, and which will go to the next refresh instead (...or the next again, if it still isn't done). There is quite a bit more to render in a station, than out in empty space.

I don't know about WMR, but usually when a headset is not SteamVR "native", SteamVR defers functions such as reprojection to the "host" runtime, that the headset IS native to. :7
Thanks. I guess I’m confused on how it was doing any reprojection at all since I forced it off in SteamVR, WMR for SteamVR settings, and the OpenXR Dev Tool which controls WMR itself. Being totally new to VR though I’m probably just not understanding how things work at all. Ugh someone bring on the 4090’s

So, (in case you give a damn :7), there are two, or maybe two-and-a-half, forms of synthetic frames, and both go by a whole host of different names, given by different vendors.

There is the "old" kind, which can approximate the effects of your in-real-life head rotations (...and only rotations - not moving in your room in any direction) since last screen refresh, by pretty much panning the old frame by a corresponding amount; This effect is usually always on, and makes it so that you can look around without the view lagging behind, making it stable and responsive, even if it does nothing for your shifting around in your chair, for nor travelling and turning in-game.

Then there is the "more recent" kind, which works much like video compression, and uses the same methodology and GPU functions, in that it compares each image pixel between the last two frames, and tries to determine how what it depicts has moved from one to the next, and then, (here is where it deviates from the video compression case, which is only interested in the between the known frames), making the assumption this motion will carry on in the same direction, and travel equally far, extrapolates a new position for that pixel in the new, synthetic frame. This allows for you moving around ("translation"), in addition to rotation, as well as in-game things moving and animating individually in the frame, but tends to produce the same sort of artefacts you can see in digital video.

The latter would be what you turned off -- It often runs "synchronously", which is to say when it kicks in, it locks frame rate to a whole number division of 90, and synthesizes every second frame, which is what you experienced, or two out of three; Unlike "asynchronously", which means frames keep trying to keep up with the refresh rate, their rendering can overlap screen refreshes, continuing to render even after they overshot their deadline, and are used when eventually done, and synthetic ones are only inserted when needed, on a from-frame-to-frame basis, so you can have ten real frames and then one synthetic, and then maybe five real and three synthetic, without any fixed pattern. The first kind usually runs asynchronously (EDIT: ...or even always reprojects every frame, even if they are "true" frames, and not just synthetic ones, to really keep up with your head motions, to the last millisecond).

As for the "two-and-a-half'th" kind: That would be when you augment the first kind with having access to the frame's depth buffer, so that you can adjust panning "speed" for each pixel, depending on how far away into the picture it is, or even do proper calculations more worthy of the term: "reprojection". This allows for translation, producing expected parallax motion. (If this is deeply integrated into the game, it is even possible it could preemptively render some things that are hidden in the original frame, but come into view in the next, such as a wall you are just peeking around the corner at.

Bring on the 4-hundred-90's... Feels like we need at least an order of magnitude more oomph, to get the sort of fidelity we're after - well... that I am after, at least... :9

Last edited:
Dont forget there are also two settings for motion smoothing. Global and per-application.
So you can set per game whether to use global or specifc setting as per pics below.
Also OpenXR has no relevance as Elite only uses OpenVR which is the API provided by SteamVR.
1641010052147.png
1641010074190.png

Last edited:
A useful thread on this subject

A useful thread on this subject
Thanks guys, I watched Exigious's video last night on the settings and their FPS and visual impact. I'm going to start there with his settings recommendations for VR and see what I get. Sounds like I can turn down a number of things I have cranked without any real quality difference, just FPS boost which is awesome. I've been building PC's for years and had lots of experience tweaking settings for stuff like all the MS Flightsim titles for example, but I'm quickly learning VR is just a very different animal. With things like the reprojection and locked "vsync" type effect (the kicking down from 90 > 45 > etc when you can't hit a FPS target) it's just so different from anything I've dealt with before as far as display tech. I really appreciate all the tips you guys have given.

I managed to get some great performance finally, except where I landed on a planet in Odyssey where I was back down into the 50's, but I ended up sending the G2 back due to it not being comfortable on my face/head no matter what I tried. Might look into an Index or just wait till later in the year or early next year after a GPU upgrade when the 4000 series hits. Didn't want to do it after experiencing ED in VR, but I can sometimes be in game for a couple hours or more and I barely made 30 minutes after my best attempt at adjustment. A friend has an Index so going to give it a serous purchase evaluation again after going over to try it out. I don't remember having the same fit issues with it that the G2 had. I think I was just put off by the "god rays" but now I know some extra adjustment info like IPD which might help that.

I managed to get some great performance finally, except where I landed on a planet in Odyssey where I was back down into the 50's, but I ended up sending the G2 back due to it not being comfortable on my face/head no matter what I tried. Might look into an Index or just wait till later in the year or early next year after a GPU upgrade when the 4000 series hits. Didn't want to do it after experiencing ED in VR, but I can sometimes be in game for a couple hours or more and I barely made 30 minutes after my best attempt at adjustment. A friend has an Index so going to give it a serous purchase evaluation again after going over to try it out. I don't remember having the same fit issues with it that the G2 had. I think I was just put off by the "god rays" but now I know some extra adjustment info like IPD which might help that.
Have you tried the quest 2 yet?

Have you tried the quest 2 yet?
Not yet, but I will be. Next week a friend that got me into ED in the first place is going to bring his over so I can try it out directly on my PC and see how my rig performs with it in ED and also MSFS which I also use quite a lot. MSFS is one of the reasons I was after something like the G2 with the high res for being able to clearly read gauges, but in reality with having to use scaling due to being on a 2080 Super, it wasn't really all that sharp.

I have tried his headset briefly before and don't remember any fit issues with it so this is going to be more of a re-test. He has the adjustable headstrap addon with the battery pack which I know fixes a lot of comfort issues with the default bare bones version. Another friend also has an Index and I'm going to go back over and try that out again to see if the resolution and god rays in it will be ok along with the fit. I tried it initially as well but the god rays kinda threw me off a bit. I really liked the sound on the Index though and knowing the G2 had the same sound setup was one of the things that had also drawn me to it.

Quest 2 with a bobovr m2 headstrap and vr cover faceplate is about the most comfortable setup i have ever tried and have owned 4 previous headsets. I had a samsung odyssey and that was real similar to what you describe above. I could not last in that thing an hour without developing a serious headache just from the pressure it puts on your head.

Ok really confused on what's going on. I had motion reprojection/smoothing disabled in OpenXR, WMR for Steam via the interface in the SteamVR Home environment, and in the SteamVR settings. The little box you can enable in WMR for Steam showed a red box in the upper left to indicate it was forced off, yet I see this "reprojection" ratio in fpsVR. It went from almost nothing to 30%+ as soon as I loaded into a station. On the plus side I did seem to get rid of the being stuck at 45fps thing as it would bounce around as high as 60 briefly, but I don't know what fpsVR is talking about with that reprojection ratio. Note it only shows at mid 20's in the attached image I had to load back in and capture the pic again. Apparently windowskey + shift + s doesn't work right on the desktop when in VR lol.
View attachment 283773
This is exactly what is happening to me now, as soon as I load the game on low settings. :( 12600k and rtx 3090.

Top Bottom