PvP Just got killed

So I just (actually yesterday...) got killed by another player for the first time since quite a long time. I was doing the Wolves of Jonas CG in my Python. The ship just has very few modifications, no defensive modules apart from shields and chaff. I didn't even A rate the power plant since I simply lack the money and don't want to take part in exploits. My desire for a better power plant was actually the reason I took part in the CG, dying cost me ~5 million which is more than the rewards I will get from it. Apart from having fun flying back and forth the last hours have been a waste of time in terms of progression.
The fight itself wasn't anything special, a FDL and another ship that I didn't recognise in the hurry interdicted me. I first tried to fight it, realised that they are better and successfully submitted. They started their attacks without saying a word, complete radio silence. I think I just didn't git gud at escaping yet, choosing a system to high wake took a few seconds more than necessary so I died just a moment before the FSD was fully charged.
I was actually surprised that I almost made it, but I also realise that a wing of three would have killed me quicker.

In the end I still hit the block player button.
Because I don't like wasting time.
Because I don't like the radio silence. I don't care if you play a pirate or terrorist or psycho killer but please say something.
Because I can.

By blocking them I still somehow won in the end.

So what did I learn today? Engineered wings aren't as overpowered as I thought. Dying for no good reason sucks. I need to git gud at escaping if I want that power plant upgrade and continue to play in Open.

I don't care if you play a pirate or terrorist or psycho killer but please say something.

I don't play a pirate or a psycho, but if my CMDR has decided to attack someone it seems pretty silly to give them advance warning about it. I'm sure talking when you should be shooting is on more than one common stupid hero/villain/caricature trope list.

They probably shot you down because they didn't want you around. I guess you both with then, though your win cost five million non-exploited CR.

So what did I learn today? Engineered wings aren't as overpowered as I thought. Dying for no good reason sucks. I need to git gud at escaping if I want that power plant upgrade and continue to play in Open.

The most important thing you should have learned is to have your high-wake escape highlighted in your nav panel (or better yet, plotted to your Next System hotkey) as soon as you enter a CG or hotspot system.

I'd say 5m is a fair price for this lesson. If you actually learn from it, then you can call it a win.

Better luck next time! :)

The most important thing you should have learned is to have your high-wake escape highlighted in your nav panel (or better yet, plotted to your Next System hotkey) as soon as you enter a CG or hotspot system.

I'd say 5m is a fair price for this lesson. If you actually learn from it, then you can call it a win.

Better luck next time! :)

Thanks ;)

I don't play a pirate or a psycho, but if my CMDR has decided to attack someone it seems pretty silly to give them advance warning about it. I'm sure talking when you should be shooting is on more than one common stupid hero/villain/caricature trope list.
True, but it doesn't make James Bond a bad movie. I play games for entertainment, not for being completely realistic. And that's the thing with tropes, they are often used in movies deliberately because we are so spoiled that we wouldn't find it realistic without being unrealistic.

They probably shot you down because they didn't want you around. I guess you both with then, though your win cost five million non-exploited CR.
True.

Whenever I'm somewhere attractive to gankers like CG's or engineers I set a route in the gal-map somewhere random, that way if I hit the "target next system in route" key (in controls under targeting default is 'N' I think) it immediately selects another system at the upper range of the FSD with just one key press. Makes the Sir Robin maneuver faster.

I've got mine set to alt control on the hyperspace button, so it's easy to activate without taking my hand off the throttle.

EDIT : ninja' rep for Marra, you only beat me because I logged into the game to find out what the control was actually called.

Last edited:
The same advice from more than one person means it's good advice, right ;)

Also, if I may add...

When I get blown-up, I don't bother questioning the motives of whoever did it - it changes nothing and it's pretty much a waste of time.

Instead I question myself - what could I have done better in the situation, or to avoid being in the situation in the first place? I learn, I improve.

The same advice from more than one person means it's good advice, right ;)
That doesn't count if at least one of them is a notorious pirate. ;)

Also, if I may add...

When I get blown-up, I don't bother questioning the motives of whoever did it - it changes nothing and it's pretty much a waste of time.

Instead I question myself - what could I have done better in the situation, or to avoid being in the situation in the first place? I learn, I improve.

I question myself if it added something to my game or if it was funny. I was once interdicted by someone who wanted me to solve riddles. That was weird but fun.

1) You weren't killed. No was your PC. A ship was destroyed, but in real terms you lost maybe some credits and time - Credits are effectively infiite and time is time spent playing a videogame.

2) Why did you block this person? Because they were 'better' at combat than you? Why are you playing Open if you don't want to interact with other players?

3) "Dying for no good reason sucks." It's YOUR bias that assumes there wasn't good reason behind the attack. I'm sure you've traded certain materials or worked for certain factions throughout the career in Elite.
Consider doing a mission for one faction - that faction gains control over a system and that system falls into famine. People die of starvation. Supporting a regime has consequences.

4) There's SO LITTLE opportunity for playercharacter interactivity thanks to FDev's continued inability to make a choice between game and simulation - the reaction of the OP in "It's my balll and I'm taking it home so none of you get to play with it" its childish and toxic to the ideology of community.

There clearly needs (as I've stated a few times recently) mroe incentive to encourage interaction and positive player-relations - it's not the winning but the taking part that should count.

I recall about 20 years ago, Jumpgate was the closest thing to multiplayer Elite - when your character was in a conflict with another player character that resulted in ship combat, this would always end in a "good fight, thanks for the fun" - because we all were playing a videogame - there was nothing "won" regardless of how many times in combat you were victorious - bear in mind too, this was a monthly subscription game as well as paying for the base disks.

Stop the self pity and claims of because someone else beat you in a dogfight they've done something wrong.

FDev could have made a mechanic to prevent PF from damaging other PF - they didn't. Clearly PCvPC is a fully intended concept. Of course (maybe naively) they didn't well anticipate the emergence of actual tossers that would repeatedly prey on Sidewinders etc. but they at least introduced rules concerning harrassment.

You CHOSE to fly without adequate wing defence, into dangerous territory without contingency. An opportunity presented itself and was taken.

"I play games for entertainment, not for being completely realistic."
Which is why your character is not dead, removed from the gameworld or otherwise crippled, shipless with no means to work back to where you were. It's also why you're given very clear, uniquely** identifiable ID of the other participant in the combat.

It saddens me that people are so selfish and arrogant that they feel they are so much better than to play with others in this game. It sadedens me that FDev won't work to encourage more ways to interact and play in groups. It saddens me, that Braben's vision was for 1984 Elite with other players, but that what we have is those other players were "individually" playing 1984 Elite in the same universe,

__
**Aside from the rare case if a XBox Gamertag is identical to an old PC player CMDR name...

1) You weren't killed. No was your PC. A ship was destroyed, but in real terms you lost maybe some credits and time - Credits are effectively infiite and time is time spent playing a videogame.
99% of the player base refer to ship destruction as getting killed. It doesn't really matter, why do you care?

2) Why did you block this person? Because they were 'better' at combat than you? Why are you playing Open if you don't want to interact with other players?
I like to interact with other players, it just wasn't my idea of interaction. Why do you care? Anyway, I don't know if they were better at combat than me, I wasn't interested in fighting them and didn't try.

3) "Dying for no good reason sucks." It's YOUR bias that assumes there wasn't good reason behind the attack. I'm sure you've traded certain materials or worked for certain factions throughout the career in Elite.
Consider doing a mission for one faction - that faction gains control over a system and that system falls into famine. People die of starvation. Supporting a regime has consequences.
Not sure if you read my post, I said that it would have been something else if they told me the reason for killing me.

4) There's SO LITTLE opportunity for playercharacter interactivity thanks to FDev's continued inability to make a choice between game and simulation - the reaction of the OP in "It's my balll and I'm taking it home so none of you get to play with it" its childish and toxic to the ideology of community.
Are you serious?

There clearly needs (as I've stated a few times recently) mroe incentive to encourage interaction and positive player-relations - it's not the winning but the taking part that should count.
Winning and taking part in what? The guy attacking me lost BTW, we already won the community goal.

I recall about 20 years ago, Jumpgate was the closest thing to multiplayer Elite - when your character was in a conflict with another player character that resulted in ship combat, this would always end in a "good fight, thanks for the fun" - because we all were playing a videogame - there was nothing "won" regardless of how many times in combat you were victorious - bear in mind too, this was a monthly subscription game as well as paying for the base disks.
It would be nice if we could have better balancing in PvP. I think I would participate in that case.

Stop the self pity and claims of because someone else beat you in a dogfight they've done something wrong.
Which self pity? Did you read my post? Anyway, it was no dogfight. I simply run and someone shot me in the back. Such a hero.

FDev could have made a mechanic to prevent PF from damaging other PF - they didn't. Clearly PCvPC is a fully intended concept. Of course (maybe naively) they didn't well anticipate the emergence of actual tossers that would repeatedly prey on Sidewinders etc. but they at least introduced rules concerning harrassment.
As said above, if they would've said "leave the system and don't come back" everything would've been fine. They didn't.

You CHOSE to fly without adequate wing defence, into dangerous territory without contingency. An opportunity presented itself and was taken.
Yes. What's your point? I didn't even complain about getting killed by a stronger wing.

"I play games for entertainment, not for being completely realistic."
Which is why your character is not dead, removed from the gameworld or otherwise crippled, shipless with no means to work back to where you were. It's also why you're given very clear, uniquely** identifiable ID of the other participant in the combat.
Yes, why are you telling me this? Are you trying to say something specific?

It saddens me that people are so selfish and arrogant that they feel they are so much better than to play with others in this game. It sadedens me that FDev won't work to encourage more ways to interact and play in groups. It saddens me, that Braben's vision was for 1984 Elite with other players, but that what we have is those other players were "individually" playing 1984 Elite in the same universe,
In that case I suggest you stop being selfish and arrogant.

Last edited:
It saddens me that people are so selfish and arrogant that they feel they are so much better than to play with others in this game.

I'd claim to be surprised that you only see fault on one side of the event, but I'd be lying if I did.

You need to accept that other players don't want to play with you or your ilk, and that they can still play in Open if they choose to. FDev have given us the tools to do precisely that.

Stop trying to turn everyone else's game into your​ game. Not going to happen.

I'd claim to be surprised that you only see fault on one side of the event, but I'd be lying if I did.

You need to accept that other players don't want to play with you or your ilk, and that they can still play in Open if they choose to. FDev have given us the tools to do precisely that.

Sorry, but what do you mean by "my ilk"? You're another that seems to want to stereotype, generalise and prejudge.

"I'd claim to be surprised that you only see fault on one side of the event"
Not sure where you get this idea. I see plent y of 'fault' around the event, mostly on the part of FDev - but I chose to limit the length of my post and focus on responding in particular to the OP who is the only party involved that is actually "present" for the discussion.

I'm not trying to "turn everyone's game into my game,". I'm offering my opinion as to what I personally feel would be better for everyone. Sure you may not agree, but that's the beauty of discussion forums - no single individual opinion is greater than any other.

Again, I am saddened that so many people choose to competely isolate themselves from the community in a multiplayer game. Having grown up playing games where multiplayer meant you needed to actually have a friend in your household or visit them to squint at a split screen CRT TV display - the world of opportunity that networking massively multiplayer games provide is potentially amazing - yet in this case, sorely lacking. I would love to see efforts made to improve this, rather than trying to destroy it entirely. Again, you may disagree, but I feel that destruction is rarely the best solution, where there are constructive options.

So I just (actually yesterday...) got killed by another player for the first time since quite a long time. I was doing the Wolves of Jonas CG in my Python. The ship just has very few modifications, no defensive modules apart from shields and chaff. I didn't even A rate the power plant since I simply lack the money and don't want to take part in exploits. My desire for a better power plant was actually the reason I took part in the CG, dying cost me ~5 million which is more than the rewards I will get from it. Apart from having fun flying back and forth the last hours have been a waste of time in terms of progression.
The fight itself wasn't anything special, a FDL and another ship that I didn't recognise in the hurry interdicted me. I first tried to fight it, realised that they are better and successfully submitted. They started their attacks without saying a word, complete radio silence. I think I just didn't git gud at escaping yet, choosing a system to high wake took a few seconds more than necessary so I died just a moment before the FSD was fully charged.
I was actually surprised that I almost made it, but I also realise that a wing of three would have killed me quicker.

In the end I still hit the block player button.
Because I don't like wasting time.
Because I don't like the radio silence. I don't care if you play a pirate or terrorist or psycho killer but please say something.
Because I can.

Not sure how this went to (*&( but rep to OP. I am similar in nature. Sounded like a positive attitude to me.
Fly dangerous

"It saddens me that people are so selfish and arrogant that they feel they are so much better than to play with others in this game."

It is sad.

It's a videogame and no players are better than any others. We are all members of the "ED player community" and as such, it would be so much more beneficial all round, in my ideal utopia, if we were all capable of putting aside the petty squabbles and differences and just played the game with each other.

It is sad.

It's a videogame and no players are better than any others. We are all members of the "ED player community" and as such, it would be so much more beneficial all round, in my ideal utopia, if we were all capable of putting aside the petty squabbles and differences and just played the game with each other.

So why did you choose to insult others by calling them arrogant and selfish?

It is sad.

Dude, I reacted to your: "You're another that seems to want to stereotype, generalise and prejudge.", just after you stereotype, generalise and prejudge others as "selfish and arrogant" and "feel they are so much better than to play with others".

Which I agree is not only sad, but a spectacular display of lack of introspection.

Last edited:

ALGOMATIC

Banned

If you click open you agreed to play with other people and get killed by them.

The block button is a toxic feature in a multiplayer combat game, it was added there because of the carebear character of the majority of ED players who cannot comprehend being shot at for no reason other than this being a multiplayer space shooting game.

If you click open you agreed to play with other people and get killed by them.

The block button is a toxic feature in a multiplayer combat game, it was added there because of the carebear character of the majority of ED players who cannot comprehend being shot at for no reason other than this being a multiplayer space shooting game.
It's not a combat nor a space shooting game.

ALGOMATIC

Banned
It's not a combat nor a space shooting game.

Yes it is.

Combat is the only feature in this game that is 100% complete, hence it is a combat game with minor other features such as exploration.

Let's drop the backers sales lines, 5 years passed and ED is a space combat game as it stands today.

Top Bottom