Just how combat capable is the Adder?

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Adder. You can't really see around you that well. I have used it as a transport and a mining craft, and when I had to fight it was difficult to keep eyes on my target. So I can't recommend it for combat at all.

I'm using one now and took on a few combat missions with it found it not very agile and as said above very hard to see out of, I fitted mine with missile pod and cannons it did well but I think I will be trading up as soon as.

It's primarily outfitted for exploration and trading, but I've equipped it with 3 Auto-cannons, nothing fancy. So, how can the Adder fight in combat?

I've never been taken out by an Adder yet. Cobra MK III here.
I took out an Asp and a Python last night but then decided to pull an Anaconda out of Supercruise on my own.
BAD MOVE
Managed to take out his shields for a brief second then he hit me with everything.
A couple of minutes later my shields were down my cockpit was smashed and life support on 7 minutes.
Somehow managed to get back to Bounds Hub with under a minute of Oxygen left.
I don't think the Adder would have survived that at all.

Last edited:
The Adder is an explorer first and foremost, and a decent alternative to the Hauler for trading in the early game, but it's only really useful for combat against ships the same size or smaller. If you're experienced and have it upgraded, you'll take out a Novice Cobra with ease. Honestly, buy a Viper or a Cobra and you'll be in a different league. I sold my Adder this morning and bought a Cobra, and it's a different experience altogether.

The Adder is an explorer first and foremost, and a decent alternative to the Hauler for trading in the early game, but it's only really useful for combat against ships the same size or smaller. If you're experienced and have it upgraded, you'll take out a Novice Cobra with ease. Honestly, buy a Viper or a Cobra and you'll be in a different league. I sold my Adder this morning and bought a Cobra, and it's a different experience altogether.

Gotta agree there Pal.

I got a nearly maxed out cobra now and I can strip it down a bit to get 40T of cargo space in there. (normally filled with slaves) and jumping about 18ly too.

Last edited:
It's primarily outfitted for exploration and trading, but I've equipped it with 3 Auto-cannons, nothing fancy. So, how can the Adder fight in combat?

I'm using an adder but combat isn't its strong point. Its lacks agility but I'm using mine to explorer, upgrading your thrusters help.

Yeah, I pulled a Viper out of Super-cruise, and got my ass handed to me. One strafe and he destroyed my shields, which I got for 56k, and blew through my HP. I was lucky enough to jump to another system when my hull was at 2%. I had 3 Multi-cannons, it was useless because I couldn't use them. I am now running two beam lasers and a class 2 multi-cannon with some heat sinks. If I do get interdicted, I want to be able to defend myself. Nevertheless, I am now smuggling illegal goods. The rewards usually range from 30k-160k. I've made over 700k in simple smuggling from a system that is one jump away.

i think the adder is a nice little ship for smuggling, salvage, exploring and perhaps mining.
but for combat,, meh, i don't think so.

i think the adder is a nice little ship for smuggling, salvage, exploring and perhaps mining.
but for combat,, meh, i don't think so.

I will agree. I made some good coin with the Adder, but not without some modification first. As far as combat goes, forget about it. Sure, the should could hold its own, but the wide bridge and narrow viewports make a full range of sight difficult. Not to break the ship's balls, as it is a good rum runner, but I upgraded to a Diamondback Explorer and have been using that to pad my bank until I can afford and Asp.

In my humble opinion I would say about as combat capable as a double decker bus which has had its engine swapped with a lawn mower. But that's only my opinion....:D

Top Bottom