JWE and its PEGI Rating of 16 - Moderate violence

Greetings,

A quick question for any of you parents in here.

My 10 yr old - who's been heavily into dinosaurs since whenever - has fixed his gaze upon this game.

He's previously enjoyed the Jurassic Park and Jurassic World park builder games on ipad, and this game looks to be along those lines, only vastly more detailed and probably also superior.

I am a little put off by the PEGI (European recommended age rating) 16 rating for moderate violence. I have watched some gameplay videos on YouTube with my boy, and it doesn't seem that violent.

What do you parents think - is he too young for this game?

Cheers,
Anders

Greetings Anders!

I am not a parent myself, but I am an uncle and older brother who assist my nephews and younger siblings when it comes to selecting games, so I hope this could be useful to you.

The 16 rating mostly comes from how violent the dinosaur attacks are in the games. The game does not have any flying blood or intense gore, and the human guests and live goats in the games are very much like dolls, in which they do not bleed or show signs of damage from a dinosaur attack. Death is very common in the game and would have the dinosaur, guest, and goat corpse lying in place for a brief period of time before it disappears. Often with eyes and mouth open, which could be unsettling to some players.

All visitors are adults, so there will not be any children in this game, and no child deaths from dinosaurs. They will be eaten whole by large carnivores, be crunched by medium carnivores, trampled by herbivores, or be killed by the small carnivores, in which the small carnivores often aim their attacks in the neck or chest area. Some of them are swift, like the velociraptor and dilophosaurus, which would simply pounce on the guests and it is over. DLC dinosaurs do have some added violence, such as the troodon and proceratosaurus violently snapping at and shaking the guest when they land the bite to the neck, or when the spinoraptor would quickly run to the guest and make a notably audible snap sound when they make their attacks. But again, there is no blood, no gore, no flying limbs, and no signs of damage done to the guest after the attack has been made.

When dinosaurs attack other dinosaurs, there will be some scaring done to the damaged dinosaur, and some of the larger dinosaurs would have notable gashes. However, there would not be any bleeding from these gashes and the wounds would completely heal when the dinosaur health gets back to 100%.

Aside from that, the game is perfectly fine. I have not encountered any swearing from my experience with the game as it is very heavy with dialogue and text. There will be some violent moments as it is a Jurassic Park/World product, but nothing that would be too much for children. My youngest sister played the game whenever I was around and she had a lot of fun. There were some excited moments when playing the game, especially during dinosaur breakouts, but those moments did not bother her at all.

Overall the game is fine, it is very much like playing the movie version of Jurassic World / Jurassic Park, but it helps to know if your child would be okay seeing death by old age or attack like other zoo games. It also helps to be there with them if they are not used to a sim management game, just so they could get the hang of the mechanics. And as a dinosaur fan, this game will be a blast! It is more in line with pop-culture depictions of dinosaurs (not that scientifically accurate), but it is a great game you could lose hundred of hours with.

I hope this information would be useful to you. If you have any further questions or specific information you are looking for, please don't hesitate in asking us :)

Kind regards,
Pixelated Sparkster

Greetings Anders!

I am not a parent myself, but I am an uncle and older brother who assist my nephews and younger siblings when it comes to selecting games, so I hope this could be useful to you.

The 16 rating mostly comes from how violent the dinosaur attacks are in the games. The game does not have any flying blood or intense gore, and the human guests and live goats in the games are very much like dolls, in which they do not bleed or show signs of damage from a dinosaur attack. Death is very common in the game and would have the dinosaur, guest, and goat corpse lying in place for a brief period of time before it disappears. Often with eyes and mouth open, which could be unsettling to some players.

All visitors are adults, so there will not be any children in this game, and no child deaths from dinosaurs. They will be eaten whole by large carnivores, be crunched by medium carnivores, trampled by herbivores, or be killed by the small carnivores, in which the small carnivores often aim their attacks in the neck or chest area. Some of them are swift, like the velociraptor and dilophosaurus, which would simply pounce on the guests and it is over. DLC dinosaurs do have some added violence, such as the troodon and proceratosaurus violently snapping at and shaking the guest when they land the bite to the neck, or when the spinoraptor would quickly run to the guest and make a notably audible snap sound when they make their attacks. But again, there is no blood, no gore, no flying limbs, and no signs of damage done to the guest after the attack has been made.

When dinosaurs attack other dinosaurs, there will be some scaring done to the damaged dinosaur, and some of the larger dinosaurs would have notable gashes. However, there would not be any bleeding from these gashes and the wounds would completely heal when the dinosaur health gets back to 100%.

Aside from that, the game is perfectly fine. I have not encountered any swearing from my experience with the game as it is very heavy with dialogue and text. There will be some violent moments as it is a Jurassic Park/World product, but nothing that would be too much for children. My youngest sister played the game whenever I was around and she had a lot of fun. There were some excited moments when playing the game, especially during dinosaur breakouts, but those moments did not bother her at all.

Overall the game is fine, it is very much like playing the movie version of Jurassic World / Jurassic Park, but it helps to know if your child would be okay seeing death by old age or attack like other zoo games. It also helps to be there with them if they are not used to a sim management game, just so they could get the hang of the mechanics. And as a dinosaur fan, this game will be a blast! It is more in line with pop-culture depictions of dinosaurs (not that scientifically accurate), but it is a great game you could lose hundred of hours with.

I hope this information would be useful to you. If you have any further questions or specific information you are looking for, please don't hesitate in asking us :)

Kind regards,
Pixelated Sparkster

Great answer man, very helpful, many thanks!

May I ask how young your younger sister was at the time?

Cheers,

A

Great answer man, very helpful, many thanks!

May I ask how young your younger sister was at the time?

Cheers,

A
Hello!

13 years old, she is not that into gaming but loves zoo games and anything to do with animals, so JWE clicked with her, and it definitely rekindled my childhood experience with the zoo sim as well haha.

From the start, you're a more responsible parent than some people I know, letting their 8 year olds play GTA5 without a second thought.

But yeah, there's no blood exactly (open wounds on dinosaurs is as bad as it gets in that respect, but they aren't gushing or anything).

For the most part it is also a top down sort of game, so you mostly have to go out of your way to look at kill animations and such. The kills are probably about the same level as the movies, though they do occur more often, particularly with dinosaur escapes, as well as missions and contracts that ask you have a dinosaur fight another dinosaur to the death or increase increase a dinosaur's combat infamy (though you can reject contracts and progress with the game normally, and the missions are optional).

That said, you are able to name the dinosaurs, so the death of something you're attached to may be traumatic, even from old age (if a family pet died recently, then you might want to leave it a while).

Many thanks to both of you.

Based on your info and gameplay videos I have watched together with the little guy, I am sure it is a game for him with a little help. Now only to wait for the next sale on PS Store :)

I'll probably come back with more gameplay related questions at a later stage :-D

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
Many thanks to both of you.

Based on your info and gameplay videos I have watched together with the little guy, I am sure it is a game for him with a little help. Now only to wait for the next sale on PS Store :)

I'll probably come back with more gameplay related questions at a later stage :-D

Good luck Anders! I'm sure your son will love it. We'll be here to answer any questions you may have :)

My sister was 7 when we saw (as a family) the movie "Jaws". The only thing that upset her was the destruction of the rubber raft. Many glowers were received from the giggles that caused.

Top Bottom