General / Off-Topic Kepler Makes Discoveries Inside the Habitable Zone

This might be the most exciting exoplanet news yet. An international team of scientists analyzing data from NASA’s Kepler mission has found a planetary system with two small, potentially rocky planets that lie within the habitable zone of their star. The star, Kepler-62, is a bit smaller and cooler than our Sun, and is home to a five-planet system. Two of the worlds, Kepler-62e and Kepler-62f are the smallest exoplanets yet found in a habitable zone, and they might both be covered in water or ice, depending on what kind of atmosphere they might have.

“Imagine looking through a telescope to see another world with life just a few million miles from your own. Or, having the capability to travel between them on a regular basis. I can’t think of a more powerful motivation to become a space-faring society,” said Harvard astronomer Dimitar Sasselov, who is co-author of a new paper describing the discovery.

PR_2013_05_2en.jpg

Masses and sizes for selected planets. The curves show the mass-radius-relation (average density) for different types of planets: The blue line indicates the loci of planets made mostly (75%) of water, the black line that of planets like our Earth that consist almost exclusively of rock (represented here by the mineral Enstatite, MgSiO3, a member of the pyroxite silicate mineral series that makes up most of the Earth’s mantle), and so on. The measured radii of Kepler-62e and Kepler-62f plus an estimate of their mass places them in a region (blue areas) where it is highly probable for them to be earth-like planets, that is: planets with a solid (if possibly covered in water) surface. Kepler-11f, on the other hand, is a Mini-Neptune, showing clearly that a comparatively low mass does not necessarily make for a solid planet. Image: L. Kaltenegger (MPIA)

PR_2013_05_3en_gr-580x447.jpg

The habitable zone (in which liquid water on a planet’s surface can exist) for different types of stars. The inner planets of our Solar System are shown on top, with Earth and Mars in the habitable zone. Kepler-62 is a notably cooler star, and Kepler-62e and -62f are in its habitable zone. For Kepler-69c, another planet announced today by NASA, the error bars for the star’s radiation are such that it could possibly in the habitable zone as well. Kepler-22b, the smallest planet found in a habitable zone before the recent discoveries, is very likely a Mini-Neptune, and not a solid planet. In what is denoted the empirical habitable zone, liquid water can exist on the surface of a planet if that planet has sufficient cloud cover. In the narrow habitable zone, liquid water can exist on the surface even without the presence of a cloud cover. Image: L. Kaltenegger (MPIA)

Youtube NASA here: Kepler-62 in the constellation Lyra, and is about 1,200 light-years from Earth.

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/101489...-potentially-habitable-planets/#ixzz2QwwMj8Hm

Simply put ... damn cool! Dev's, hope your watching this. :)

Really? No one shows any love for the NASA's Kepler mission? Shame on you lot, shame on you all ! :mad: Grrrr...

I read this on the BBC a couple of days ago, it's interesting news that they've found 2 planets in the Goldilocks zone but the problem is that we haven't got anything powerful enough to tell us if they are balls of rock, ice or Gaia planets.

It's interesting but unfortunately not very useful currently.

na, it's a fairy story, next thing you'll be telling us the planets are only habitable because of Goldilocks - i don't believe a word ;)

Lestat

Banned
Well In the USA The only news we been getting is from Boston.

But this is good news. One thing is I don't think we are the only planet that has life on it. I don't think it earth like planet are that rare. See there are creatures like Viperfish that live really deep in the water. 10 horrible deep sea creatures Then there creatures that live in extreme heat 90+c Hot Vents We just have to look at the extreme life of Hot and cold Earth. Extremophilic-Microbes-Organisms-Living-in-Extreme-Conditions

But a planet that supports life dose not mean the planet can support human Life. Now that in it self could be rear.

Most of the exo planets discovered so far are termed Super Earths as they are all bigger than our dear old ball of mud. So potential for life on them is pretty good if they are in that habitable zone however we'd have difficulty walking around on them as the gravity would be higher than ours.

As for our solar system, i'd not be surprised to see life found on Europa as there is liquid water there. I think at some stage we'll get evidence of life having been on Mars but that will only happen when we get there.

Perhaps this might be the starting spot for humanity to get out and about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22146456

I couldn't agree with you all more with respects to life being on other planets. The thing to keep in mind when you look around planet earth, when has nature ever done something once? You look around the planet and life bubbles up everywhere. Bacteria that can exist in ice, bacteria that can live in rocks, bacteria that can exist in places that surpasse excesses of a 100 degrees, hell ... bacteria that can have its DNA blown apart by extreme radiation and still repair itself, Deinococcus radiodurans. And from all that, millions of life forms that go extinct and bounce back time and time again in different forms.

I think the Kepler mission here is just showing how ridiculous it is to think that life only exists on this planet. Sciencewise, yes we'll just have to wait until we get a second confirmation of life off planet but would any rational person put money down that life doesn't exist elsewhere when you start to look/understand the grander scale of things in our galaxy let alone the universe?

As for us living off planet, I think by the time we can set up colonies elsewhere in the solar system in great numbers we'll be just adding extra genes to our DNA to toughen us up. Stronger bones, stronger resistance to radiation maybe even DNA that repairs itself with the likes of Deinococcus radiodurans there.

Anyone here remember an Amiga, Atari ST game called Millennium 2.2 by Ian Bird? I think the idea of that game and what was done with humanity wasn't far off the mark if we ever really want to exist off planet. For its time the game was really quite brilliant.

For those interested in experiencing it [Millennium Remake] for nostalgic reasons or for the first time, try here: http://glitch01.wordpress.com/ The guys did a good job and its a great game to start with.

:cool:

Well In the USA The only news we been getting is from Boston.

To be fair, this news is from Boston too :p!

One of my friends has been studying a whole bunch exoplanets in Kepler data. They find that possibly habitable Earth-like planets are found in about 6% of the cool stars that they looked at (I think they are red dwarves). Using statistics, they reckon that the nearest habitable Earthlike planet is within 20 light years of is :)

Hopefully by the time they have the tech to travel these distances they will have the ability to move astroids and build moons to stabilize them.
But while we wait we can at least head over in our Cobras and check them out.

Remember Millenium 2.2 very well from my Atari days, took me ages to get the hang of making the Astroid grazers work when i sent them out to mine the belt. No internet tips back then.
Martian fightercraft were little red triangles if i remember right. Games were more about playability back then and not all singing all dancing grafics. Kind of like the lego games verses Minecraft today.

H

Last edited:
It's encouraging news, for sure. There's definitely more motivation for getting 'out there'. We've just got to work out how to speed things up a notch.:)

Great post PacalB. Really interesting stuff.

In 2017 NASA intend to launch the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) which will find even more exo planets and with greater detail too.

"The selection of TESS has just accelerated our chances of finding life on another planet within the next decade," said MIT planetary scientist Sara Seager.

Top Bottom