Newcomer / Intro Kill missions where you scan a planet base first

I don't get these at all. They take a loooong time to complete compared to other ones. I've done 2 so far and will probably never do these again, had a hell of a time. So you fly at least 2k-3k ls to a planet base and scan it with your ship. Problem is you have to get so close that you get a warrant before you can finish scanning. Now I'm wanted. Now I have to fly back to the nav beacon to scan it, or if I alread did that, just fly back to it. Then it's a waiting game for the mission signal source to pop up. Then you just cruise there and kill the NPC.

This isn't much different than regular kill missions where you just jump to a system, get a nav beacon, then to the signal source, then done. The unnecessary flying to a planet and scanning the base isn't fun or exciting or challenging, and the added negative of getting a warrant after makes it more of a PITA.

Maybe I'm doing these missions wrong, but they seem like a complete waste of time. After doing 2 of them, if I had just spent time in a RES instead and fighting ships, I would have gotten wayyyyy more out of it.

What's the point of these missions?

the last thing they need to do is remove ways to interact with the content. There are already so few ways of approaching the game as it is. They need to make more ways to interact with the content, link content together, make missions have more involvement.
give that interdiction module some purpose by stopping the kill target continously persuing the player and constantly facing the player at faster than normal flight speeds and let the player actually chase the target and capture them for a change.
Add more dimension to the game, more connected mission types, Taking away aspects of interaction would just make the pool more shallow and that is the last thing this game needs.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/tying-content-together.517565/ Some ideas I've presented that would expand on depth and give more interaction with the game invironment, making it all a bit more meaningful and interesting.

Last edited:
You're not supposed to scan the beacon from your ship, you should switch over to your SRV (or SLF, in a pinch) and do it from the ground.
As for becoming wanted - of course. Or did you think you could enter a military installation, retrieve some information and, based on that intelligence, commit murder without your opponents at least attempting to bring you to justice? Read the mission description - "Some of these actions may be considered illegal in some systems".

And yes, if all you want out of the game is (virtual play-) money, then there are easier ways to get it.

You're not supposed to scan the beacon from your ship, you should switch over to your SRV (or SLF, in a pinch) and do it from the ground.
As for becoming wanted - of course. Or did you think you could enter a military installation, retrieve some information and, based on that intelligence, commit murder without your opponents at least attempting to bring you to justice? Read the mission description - "Some of these actions may be considered illegal in some systems".

And yes, if all you want out of the game is (virtual play-) money, then there are easier ways to get it.

Holy , even in the newcomers forum I have to deal with condescending jackass remarks from elitists no-lifers who play the game 40 hours a week. Go away.

Since the point of this thread is hard for some people to understand, my thought is this:

The mission pays the same as a regular assassinate mission, yet requires way more time. That is stupid and pointless.

Oh dear butty: beginners area is for beginners to find out about the game. For throwing salt you have Dangerous Discussions. Bye - have fun if you can.

Since the point of this thread is hard for some people to understand, my thought is this:

The mission pays the same as a regular assassinate mission, yet requires way more time. That is stupid and pointless.
You get very desirable data from the scans, which you need for engineering.

Did one this morning. I did the srv. The interesting thing was the beacon to scan to advance the mission was the "skimmer control" private beacon. Once scanned, I picked up a trivial bounty (hit that anarchy IF on the way home). I thought it was weird that the mission advanced after scanning the skimmer beacon - but whatever. Of course everything goes hostile after you scan it, and the skimmers are not disabled after scanning the "skimmer control" beacon. Escaping the base defenses is pretty easy, but the ship flying about the base was an issue.

Next time I'll stay in my ship.

Why do we sometimes get a third choice for mission rewards of Rep++, Inf++ but no credits while the first choice is the same Rep++ and Inf++ but with credits. That third choice is stupid and pointless. FD is helping us keep our reading skills sharp? Or maybe FDevs ran out of ideas? Some mysteries may never be solved. :poop:

Top Bottom