Kinect: Disneyland Adventures Kinect Disneyland Adventures!

It seems you haven't officially announced it yet, but many sites are reporting that you are the developer of the game.

Are we allowed to talk about it? I'm so excited about this! :D

Coool! :)
Well, I was wondering which characters you're going to include in the game?

My favorite character is that lovable bear Baloo, and he's a regular character appearing in parks, so I'm really hoping you're going to include him! I know many kids (and even grown ups :p) who would love to be hugged by Baloo :)

I know many kids (and even grown ups ) who would love to be hugged by Baloo

I second that! What's the point of making a Disney game in which you can hug the characters, if it's to forget the most huggable and cuddly bear ever? ^^
Many people are disappointed that the Jungle Book has never been included in Kingdom Hearts, so it would be awesome to see a CGI Disney Baloo for the very first time :)
(What I'd love even more, would be to see a TaleSpin version of him and the other TaleSpin / Disney Afternoon characters, that would be the icing on the cake! but I know Disney has long forgotten their Disney Afternoon shows, and it's a real shame considering they're still very popular.)

But I was wondering what's the lasting appeal of the game? I hope there's more included than just a bunch of mini-games and a quick visit of the park. Currently I have the feeling this is a game that gets completed in 2-3 hours.
It seems the game also attracts long-time Disney fans, which aren't kids (or are parents who want to play with their kids, just like me), so I hope you're going to include enough content to satisfy everyone. So far from the reviews it seems the game is lacking challenge, could you at least include a "difficulty level" option? Or some collecting items quests, like pin's?

Admitted, creating varied content with Kinekt alone seems to be a big challenge, and you probably want to keep everything simple for kids - but please, give us some value for money! Especially if you want people to come back for possible sequels / DLC.

One last question, who got the idea to make this game? Disney, Microsoft or you?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. Thank you!

Last edited:
One of the small minor points about Kinectimals was the amount of text in the game, which my 5 year old couldn't really read that well. With the Disneyland game, if possible, try to keep text to a minimum.

(Also, is it wrong of me to think that this means I won't have to fork out to go to the real Disneyland :))

try to keep text to a minimum
To me the solution would be to use voice acting, not reducing the amount of text...
On the contrary, I hope there's some real adventure in this, and for that you need a lot of dialogues!

While I can't go into details
When can we expect more details, then?

Michael Brookes

Game Director
The correct balance of text we show the player is always a tricky balance, you need to make sure the player is always aware with what they need to do, but conversly you don't want to swamp them either. With Kinectimals we had extensive user research tests with players of all ages and tried to balance the information presented based on those. Unfortunately we can't always assume that that young player will have their parents with them :)

More details will be released over the next few months as we build up to the game's release.

As for whether the game is a substitute for the real Disneyland, the idea for the game is that it's a perfect Disneyland, no queues and the rides are the experiences that could be enjoyed if the park had no technology or safety restrictions. Flying with Peter Pan would be a bit tricky to do in the real world :)

Michael

The correct balance of text we show the player is always a tricky balance, you need to make sure the player is always aware with what they need to do, but conversly you don't want to swamp them either.
Michael

Yep, I think maybe it was the amount of menus she had to sift through to do what she wanted. I remember coming in and she was trying to play with a ball and bearing in mind it was my wife who went through the tutorial with her, it took a while for us to get there. By which point she'd pretty much lost interest.

Perhaps you could have had a menu like the actual kinect itself, IE you wave at the tv and some big icons pop up (which you can say too).

My daughter will happily play through (and complete) levels in Star Wars lego. I thought the RTS style levels in the new Clone Wars lego game would catch her out but it didn't.

I realise I'm not helping much (especially as that's a completely different type of game), but like I said before, it is only a minor point. As long as you can just jump in and start playing I think it'll be great. Kinect Sports is a game that's very easy to get into. (But might be a little too simple for what you had in mind).

(Also, so it doesn't sound like I'm moaning all the time - I will buy Disneyland Adventures...and maybe if you find the time you could stick F:E2 on XBLA ;))

PS My daughter has just turned 6 (you probably ought to know what age I'm talking about)

Overall, DISNEYLAND ADVENTURES is fantastic! However, there are a few really frustrating oversights with the programming that negatively affect the experience.

The worst one is constantly losing the custom avatar for the 2nd player when stepping away from the game. There needs to be a way for the both players to sign in and not lose their avatars during the game. The Kinect recognition just does not work here - at all. This has caused a lot of frustration for my family when they are suddenly represented by a random avatar, often of the opposite sex in the middle of a game.

Another problem is the inability to access the main menus, options, or title screen once the game has started. You should also be able to back out of the mini-games without turning the console off or quitting the game.

Two-Player tracking is also very spotty, and during shooting games, the aiming is way off. In order to hit something in the middle of the screen for instance, I have to aim at the corner of my living room, six feet from the television. I should feel like I'm actually aiming at the targets, not just guiding a cursor around.

I hope you can address these problems in a future update, so I can stop feeling the need to swear so much at a family theme park! :)

Hi Roliwage,

If you use the Kinect's guide gesture (left hand down and out to your side slightly), it opens up a menu that allows you to do everything you've mentioned above.

Using the menu, you should be able to log back into your Xbox Live profile, restart and quit attractions etc. :)

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Hi Kyle,

That does help. Thanks for the quick response! I bought Kinect specifically for this game, so I'm still a noob to all the standard gestures. It would be helpful to include this info in the tutorials. I will append my Amazon review to pass this info on.

I've been reading other user reviews online and it seems that a lot of people are having the avatar switching issues. Mine has even started switching avatars in the middle of gameplay, without me leaving the play area. I hope that can get sorted out soon.

Roliwage (S. ROWLEY!)

Hi Kyle,

That does help. Thanks for the quick response! I bought Kinect specifically for this game, so I'm still a noob to all the standard gestures. It would be helpful to include this info in the tutorials. I will append my Amazon review to pass this info on.

I've been reading other user reviews online and it seems that a lot of people are having the avatar switching issues. Mine has even started switching avatars in the middle of gameplay, without me leaving the play area. I hope that can get sorted out soon.

Roliwage (S. ROWLEY!)

That's totally fine, no worries.

Hmm, I'm not quite sure why Kinect would be losing you if you don't leave the play space. I'll see if I can reproduce the problem here to see what's going on.

Hope you're having fun! :)

Edit: If your name is Sally, that would be totally weird, as that is my mom's name =P.

Last edited:
Be sure to test it with 2 players using customized avatars. It's frustrating to be switched out to a random avatar - sometimes you can't tell them apart.

Plus, my wife really hates to lose her custom styling and clothes on hers :)

Yes, we're having a blast with the game otherwise. I really hope to see some DLC in the future!

Last edited:
Be sure to test it with 2 players using customized avatars. It's frustrating to be switched out to a random avatar - sometimes you can't tell them apart.

Plus, my wife really hates to lose her custom styling and clothes on hers :)

Yes, we're having a blast with the game otherwise. I really hope to see some DLC in the future!

Will do :).

Glad you're having fun :).

Top Bottom