Krait Mk2 Mining Builds

Hi Commanders,

I have two slightly different Krait Mk 2 mining builds and I wanted to get some opinions on which way I should go.
and

The differences are pretty slight. But, I do also want opinions on the builds overall. The main difference is the shield and the scoop, in the first the scoop is a 5A and the shield is a 3A; in the second they are swapped (but I made the shield a bi-weave) I changed the engineering a bit between the shields too.

I wanted to go low power to reduce overall signature so I can be less visible at a distance. The mine launcher is made to prevent chases, not to kill anything. I am welcome to any suggestions.

Thanks for your time!

I would skip the mine launcher, mining laser and sub-surface missile launcher to go full core-mining only. Apply three frags to keep you safe from NPC pirates.
I also would skip the fuel scoop, the MkII has enough range to go to a pristine ring and back without it. Same with fighter bay. Better use some more collector limpets.
If you skip the point defense for another heavy duty booster, and make the shield reinforced, you nearly have enough shields to survive in open (some more tweaking needed).

Go for reinforced shields and aim for raw Mj not for resists.
In an asteroid field collisions are your main enemy.
Also drop the Fuel Scoop - Krait has decent range and you really dont need one.

This is my Krait, just ignore the weaponry

edit.. damn ninjas :LOL:

Mine launcher is pointless since NPCs will avoid them and you don't have enough shields/integrity to survive a Cmdr attack.

Outright speed from dirty drives will make you safer than trying to avoid heat using clean drives.

It depends really on how you want to play. If you want to do some mining and kill any npc pirates that show up to mix things up, then shields over scoop, decent armour, maybe a few HRPs and some real weapons to go alongside your mining tools.
If you simply want to mine in peace and get home safely and sell your cargo, then it is easy to lose the npc pirates that spawn when you drop in and it is easy to escape interdictions on the way home, so scoop over shield to avoid hanging around too long at stars and plenty of cargo space.

Thank you all for your input, it's consistent and sound advice. I'll definitely drop the hanger (I just like fighters, hard to pass it up); I'll put in more limpets there. I do understand about the Krait having enough range, but I have stranded myself before so the scoop is a safety net I just can't let go of...However, I'll use the smaller one and get better protection.
The reason I have the extra non-core gear is twofold; the mining laser is so I can fulfill mining jobs and some extra work for engineer unlocks; the subsurface missile is simply because I haven't used one before. :)
I hear you all on the mines, are they really that bad? I wanted a defensive weapon that could help slow down followers. If the mines are useless then I'll probably just leave the slot empty.

Thanks again, you all rock!

Mining is something that doesn't really require a diverse range of capabilities.

A fighter hangar might be useful in a mining T9, for defence, but a Krait has sufficient agility and hardpoints to look after itself.
Don't see the point of mines at all really. If you're going to fight, fight. If you're going to run away, run away.
Sub-Surface missiles aren't terribly productive. If you have hardpoints spare, fair enough. Otherwise, forget it.

Here's my mining Krait: https://s.orbis.zone/37a3

TBH, I'm currently using it to mine VO's and I've replaced the mining laser with another beam laser.
I really only fit the mining laser when I'm mining Painite, which I usually use a T10 for.

On which note, I suppose it's worth saying that medium ships are best-suited to core-mining - which is handy since that yields the most profit anyway.
If you want to go laser-mining, I think it's still best to use a big ship and have a dozen or so collectors.
If you try to build a medium ship that can laser-mine and core-mine, there just aren't enough slots to do any of it especially well.

Subsurface is soooo close to useless that i only used it once.
As defensive weapons - if you can boost to 500+ that's enough most of the time (pve mostly). Also a PD helps agains hatch breaker limpets.
I usually keep weapons because i kinda like to pop pirates.
And i keep the hangar because that Elite pilot still gets 10% of my income and sometimes i like to fly the slf around the 'roids.
Not the least, i use the Krait mostly because of the hangar, else i would use the Python

I'd argue against point defense vs hatchbreakers for a miner because frankly if you lose 3-4 void opals, who cares.
It's not like with mission runners and mission related cargo, you'll simply get a slightly smaller sum if hatch-breaked (broken?).
But another A-rated HD booster can make the difference between blowing up and losing anything, and surviving.

OP,
Thanks for starting this thread, I too am ready, even anxious to try my hand at deep core mining. I've never mined once as it always seemed incredibly complicated. It still does but am at least aware of the myriad of mining 'how-to' vids at Youtube and feel like I have a basic undertandig of how deep core mining works.
To everyone who replied to the OP's post; I'm flying a Krait Phantom that I'm ready to outfit for mining. It's presently set up for exploration and is Engineered accordingly, engineered D thrusters for instance. Is this Phantom a viable candidate for a mining ship ? Are the two Krait ships essentially the same in this regard ? I fly a Python as my main ship and have achieved Elite trade status with it. I have more than enough credits to buy another Python but wanted to try the Krait Phantom as my mining ship. Any thoughtsd are welcome, sorry for the intrusion OP.

OP,
Thanks for starting this thread, I too am ready, even anxious to try my hand at deep core mining. I've never mined once as it always seemed incredibly complicated. It still does but am at least aware of the myriad of mining 'how-to' vids at Youtube and feel like I have a basic undertandig of how deep core mining works.
To everyone who replied to the OP's post; I'm flying a Krait Phantom that I'm ready to outfit for mining. It's presently set up for exploration and is Engineered accordingly, engineered D thrusters for instance. Is this Phantom a viable candidate for a mining ship ? Are the two Krait ships essentially the same in this regard ? I fly a Python as my main ship and have achieved Elite trade status with it. I have more than enough credits to buy another Python but wanted to try the Krait Phantom as my mining ship. Any thoughtsd are welcome, sorry for the intrusion OP.
Yes, the Phantom is fine for deep core mining, I did all of mine in my explorer Phantom and apart from adding a bigger shield and the mining tools I changed nothing in my core internals. Just start your mining session with an empty cargo and the npc pirates who spawn when you drop in the hotspot will soon leave. Mine for as long as you want, but sell your load before logging off submitting to any interdictions on the way and running away, nothing will catch your Phantom.

Top Bottom