PvP Lasers in pvp?

ALGOMATIC

Banned
Removing the PD is pointless vs some builds, there was a time when removing the PD would balance the pips but now it just locks them in there they are. Some builds can roll with 3-2-1 with no problem so there is no need to move their pips and if they lose their PD it means nothing really. it comes down to how their ship is built but in most cases its pointless to take their PD.

Now with my build, since lasers are so stupidly bad for DPS most of my kills are from snipes, this means I have to find a way to break as much of their ship as I can. the Missiles are used to remove their weapons and somewhat balance DPS vs my opponent, the lasers will then work the their hull and modules, once I break enough stuff most players will attempt a reboot, in this time I can get on top of their power plant and snipe it for the kill. this can happen any time really since it totally depends on the player I am fighting but with some cases I have killed a FAS at 80% hull.

I will post a more recent fight in few min.

Just with regards of reboots, it just brings your modules to 1% integrity, in the case of weapons they keep on malfunctioning so they are essentially useless, basically when the weapons are damaged all is left is running.

Also regarding missiles, why dont you mod them for rapid fire and damage the module quicker?

Just with regards of reboots, it just brings your modules to 1% integrity, in the case of weapons they keep on malfunctioning so they are essentially useless, basically when the weapons are damaged all is left is running.

Also regarding missiles, why dont you mod them for rapid fire and damage the module quicker?

Rapid fire is nice but I am often found in wing fights with upwards of 6 people so having a higher capacity helps disabling multiple targets, rapid fire could potential be better for a 1v1 style thing though I haven't tried it so I don't know... I will mod them today and take a look.

As for your weapons being at 1%, AFM helps with my build but its also worth pointing out that hull tanks should be running study mounts if you don't want your guns shot off, even though the missile is effective my lasers can also be used to shoot weapons off with relative ease.

ALGOMATIC

Banned
Rapid fire is nice but I am often found in wing fights with upwards of 6 people so having a higher capacity helps disabling multiple targets, rapid fire could potential be better for a 1v1 style thing though I haven't tried it so I don't know... I will mod them today and take a look.

As for your weapons being at 1%, AFM helps with my build but its also worth pointing out that hull tanks should be running study mounts if you don't want your guns shot off, even though the missile is effective my lasers can also be used to shoot weapons off with relative ease.

You are correct re sturdy mounts and AFM. But sturdy takes a DPS hit and AFM eats an HRP spot, and I cant remember the last time i saw anyone with seakers, not popular at all in PVP imo, for the occasional time I meet someone I will take the loss.

You are correct re sturdy mounts and AFM. But sturdy takes a DPS hit and AFM eats an HRP spot, and I cant remember the last time i saw anyone with seakers, not popular at all in PVP imo, for the occasional time I meet someone I will take the loss.

Well I run seekers all the time and many PVE players also run seekers, if these PVE types ever work out they can target weapons with them you will soon see how Point Defense or AFM can help, AFM also extends to protecting against all internal damage, if I shoot your FSD out then you are stuck with me and forced to reboot leaving you open for a plant snipe, the AFM can do work while you continue to fight and once ready you could make a jump, or repair a breaking canopy.

You are correct re sturdy mounts and AFM. But sturdy takes a DPS hit and AFM eats an HRP spot, and I cant remember the last time i saw anyone with seakers, not popular at all in PVP imo

Well when a weapon gets destroyed it takes a considerably bigger DPS hit.

I use an AFMU on many ships. It excels on my hybrid clipper, where I don't need the C6 slot for SCBs, would be wasted undersizing for a C5 reinforcement, and have plenty of power to spare. It's good being able to repair the canopy 'cos it's pretty prone to getting rekt, and that ruins your day if you have a FB rail.

At the end of the day, watching that vid...his loadout clearly worked (y)

Last edited:

Achilles7

Banned
Removing the PD is pointless vs some builds, there was a time when removing the PD would balance the pips but now it just locks them in there they are. Some builds can roll with 3-2-1 with no problem so there is no need to move their pips and if they lose their PD it means nothing really. it comes down to how their ship is built but in most cases its pointless to take their PD.

Now with my build, since lasers are so stupidly bad for DPS most of my kills are from snipes, this means I have to find a way to break as much of their ship as I can. the Missiles are used to remove their weapons and somewhat balance DPS vs my opponent, the lasers will then work the their hull and modules, once I break enough stuff most players will attempt a reboot, in this time I can get on top of their power plant and snipe it for the kill. this can happen any time really since it totally depends on the player I am fighting but with some cases I have killed a FAS at 80% hull.

I will post a more recent fight in few min.

Ahh, good answer! I thought it malfunctioned randomly too...although imo you would have sniped the PD really fast in that fight.

What specials are on your lasers? - I can't see, 'on my phone right now!

& where's this other fight^?

Ahh, good answer! I thought it malfunctioned randomly too...although imo you would have sniped the PD really fast in that fight.

What specials are on your lasers? - I can't see, 'on my phone right now!

& where's this other fight^?

The PD would of been sniped easy but there is little to no point, the canopy is a better target to start a "timer" for the other player, I can last well over 24 min in a fight and so have no issue with waiting for their O2 to run out, So I have already won the fight seconds in.

My lasers are 3 Thermal Shock, 1 Scramble, 1 Thermal Cascade Missile.

second fights will be uploaded in 10min.

Lasers are really viable .. they have stupid experimental effects except for emissive munitions so going clean or full phasing like I do is viable. Also laser are hitscan which is a real powerful point to consider in the current meta. Lasers are best used on nimble ships or as a surpressing weapon to counter biweave and deal force opponents to go 4 pips to SYS or deal full damage, which ultimately is a good source of damage.
Lasers are not good vs hulltanks or hybrids due to the lack of anti-hull/module experimental effects so you better combine it with 1-2 railguns and their effects :)

ALGOMATIC

Banned
Lasers are really viable .. they have stupid experimental effects except for emissive munitions so going clean or full phasing like I do is viable. Also laser are hitscan which is a real powerful point to consider in the current meta. Lasers are best used on nimble ships or as a surpressing weapon to counter biweave and deal force opponents to go 4 pips to SYS or deal full damage, which ultimately is a good source of damage.
Lasers are not good vs hulltanks or hybrids due to the lack of anti-hull/module experimental effects so you better combine it with 1-2 railguns and their effects :)

They are also not good vs shields since the engineers which made them equally resistant to thermals.

Most malfunctions can be shrugged off.

It's the powerplant one in particular that gets me. I have my power priorities set for the worst case scenario, so I can escape with a damaged plant.

Unless my priorities got switched around, it seems it doesn't cause a 50% malfunction, but totally shuts it off.

Most malfunctions can be shrugged off.

It's the powerplant one in particular that gets me. I have my power priorities set for the worst case scenario, so I can escape with a damaged plant.

Unless my priorities got switched around, it seems it doesn't cause a 50% malfunction, but totally shuts it off.

What happens in your case is you are hit with a Large or a Huge scramble weapons this shuts the plant down to 40%, this used to be 20%.

PP has always been 40% output for five seconds before returning to normal during a malfunction. You see 20% for five seconds if the PP is destroyed (and you don't happen to blow up immediately) which then reverts to 50% after a malfunction.

If possible, fit your priority 1 items below 20% and priority 2 items under 40%.

Achilles7

Banned
Disclaimer: 'Fatboy' refers to Harry's ship ofc...I'm definitely not casting any aspersions about his voluntary calorific intake:exercise ratio.[big grin]

[video=youtube;KZVdbyxFixg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZVdbyxFixg[/video]

Achilles7

Banned
As your video shows lasers clearly need a damage buff, this video also shows how well engineered my Armour is, I had 2 corvettes and a vulture attacking me plus NPCs.

One, I had no control over that scenario; two, the Corvette - singular - that attacked you (the other was simply shooting AI targets out of range) came in right at the end with poor fixed weapon aim & the NPCs did virtually no damage to you, I did at least 90% of that damage, as you well know!

I don't argue with the laser damage argument & yep your ship is well armoured, no doubt & although I generally hate boost FAOFF reverski merchants, you are forgiven since you were in a Dropship. My Vulture & its 5 remaining SCBs would have taken you down, no problem.

I even took pips out of sys because you were zero threat, despite my crap hotas X, no track IR & malfunctioning, intermittently random firing pacifiers; then on top, factor-in your micro-gimbal LR lasers which are pretty easy to use & no skill seekers & it's oh dear, SDC membership rescinded...apart from as a performing monkey, maybe!

Casual gamer 1 SDC monkey mascot 0 [big grin]

One, I had no control over that scenario; two, the Corvette - singular - that attacked you (the other was simply shooting AI targets out of range) came in right at the end with poor fixed weapon aim & the NPCs did virtually no damage to you, I did at least 90% of that damage, as you well know!

I don't argue with the laser damage argument & yep your ship is well armoured, no doubt & although I generally hate boost FAOFF reverski merchants, you are forgiven since you were in a Dropship. My Vulture & its 5 remaining SCBs would have taken you down, no problem.

I even took pips out of sys because you were zero threat, despite my crap hotas X, no track IR & malfunctioning, intermittently random firing pacifiers; then on top, factor-in your micro-gimbal LR lasers which are pretty easy to use & no skill seekers & it's oh dear, SDC membership rescinded...apart from as a performing monkey, maybe!

Casual gamer 1 SDC monkey mascot 0 [big grin]

I can assure you that vulture would die 1v1 easy... you had some damage not 90%, you can see I took over 20% during a pass that you are facing the wrong direction for.

I hate how much I like lasers. Because you get up against a good opponent using the current meta. Its a bad time.

....and yet.. Still rolling some G1 LR pulse lasers

Top Bottom