Lead Designers advice on dealing with griefing (part 2)

Originally I was actively trying to block all station rammers and known cheats, however the more I've looked into this the more it's become apparent that they are largely the same players. So I think there is no real need to make a distinction between the two.

So you did see a correlation between rammers and cheaters?

I am curious what you define as cheating though (obviously without naming and shaming), what the most common types of cheats you noticed, and are you including the hack-type cheating, eg:
- engineer G5 module glitch
- memory hacks (infinite shields etc)
- auto-macros (auto pip changing)
- trade bots
- credit/rep exploits
- cLogging (not 15s logging)
- lag switches
- Station security exploits (holes in fire coverage, bumping CMDRs over 100m/s etc)

I've never blocked anyone (yet), but then maybe cheaters are about and I've just not noticed their use? I guess the main one would be PvPers who FDev missed, and they've retained their G5 glitched modules. Just curious really if that link to rammers is true.

So you did see a correlation between rammers and cheaters?

I am curious what you define as cheating though (obviously without naming and shaming), what the most common types of cheats you noticed, and are you including the hack-type cheating, eg:
- engineer G5 module glitch
- memory hacks (infinite shields etc)
- auto-macros (auto pip changing)
- trade bots
- credit/rep exploits
- cLogging (not 15s logging)
- lag switches
- Station security exploits (holes in fire coverage, bumping CMDRs over 100m/s etc)

I've never blocked anyone (yet), but then maybe cheaters are about and I've just not noticed their use? I guess the main one would be PvPers who FDev missed, and they've retained their G5 glitched modules. Just curious really if that link to rammers is true.

Obviously I can't name and shame, but yes precisely that.

Every time I was blocking a rammer or identified cheat (at the start I went way OTT for science) I'd google the rammer for wingmates/griefing videos/admitting cheating and I was keeping a list with links as I was toying with the idea of an off-forum public one (decided against it due to being exploitable and internet stalkers being crazy).

The only cheat I bothered with was the 5-1 engineering cheat as it had just happened and the cheaters were moaning about it publicly and were really easy to identify.

The crossover I found between griefers and cheats was slightly more than 80%, I'd suspect 100% is the reality.

I spotted that a rammer unlocked G5 on all engineers on the same day. No G1, 2, 3 or 4. Straight to 5 on ALL of them. May be legit, but it looked odd.

Top Bottom