Let's talk about missiles and countermeasures

On account of PVE, don't you think that saying "missiles are viable" and "if your goal is to have fun, then using missiles..." is a bit contradictory? And no, from, say 5 hardpoints, dedicating two or even one for missiles would cut utility or straight up damage of my firepower quite significantly. See, I don't need to drag NPC, at all. I don't need to destroy their guns, because when NPC loses more than 50% of it's weapons, it starts FDS charge sequence immediately. I don't need to disrupt their FSD, and more so, I would need to work around their PDs to use that missiles for utility I absolutely have no use for. In PVE, your only goal is to straight up blow up their ships, nothing else matters, and time it takes for you to do so, along with shutting down their defensive capabilities, with things like feedback cascade, is the only thing that matters. On "fun" note, I already use SLF on my PVE Krait, although it's utterly and completely useless in any combat situation, I still use it, because I don't have to sacrifice something significant, and it is cool to have SLF for me. But for using missiles, I would need to sacrifice helluvalot of DPS, which isn't worth it. I run Python with x3 Beams and x2 seekers, time it take to destroy targets almost twice as long as on my Krait.
There's your problem, don't use seekers in PvE when trying to kill anything other than an Eagle or SLF. Dumbfires are a much better weapon option as they have the third highest DPS of the C1 hardpoints behind only a railgun (rails are just nutty) or frag cannon (suffers against harder targets).
Edit: You're also using C2 seekers, don't do that, seekers suck unless they're a C1 for utility purposes or from a packhound launcher.
In my experience, NPC deaths from 0% PP have been very inconsistent. Can't count how many times, I reduced PP to 0% in CZs on Condas and other biggies at ~50% hull, and they didn't blow up, until their hull went to 0, me shooting at PP with multies all that time. Not sure if it's a bug with NPCs in particular, but I rarely go for modules these days because of it. x3 OC MCs with Corrosive and Rails melt away even thickest hull just a bit slower than they supposed to die from PP failure anyway, and I have much better combat presence, due to ammo capacity.
Sniping the powerplant used to cause instant destruction, but is now RNG based.
Now a powerplant has a low chance of exploding with every subsequent hit against it when at 0%.
Large alpha strikes have a vastly increased chance of causing a detonation, cannons, PAs or PenPayload dumbfires are nearly guaranteed to cause an insta-kill within 5ish hits against a zeroed PP.
Conversely, weapons such as beams or multicannons have a relatively low chance but make up for it through sheer ROF.

When flying small ships or fighting mediums and larges I nearly always target the NPC's powerplant.
I don't always kill them with it, especially if their armour is non-existent, but a substantial number do die with a large amount of hull remaining.
The key is to maintain the correct positioning so you have clear shots, then just keep pounding their PP until they blow.;)

As for ammo, a high capacity C1 advanced missile rack has 144 missiles, more than enough for most combat scenarios.

Side PSA: If you're having trouble killing Cobras with gimballed or turreted weapons, target their FSD, as it's in the very centre of the ship.
The auto-target point they normally use is just slightly higher than if you were to target the cargo hatch, meaning projectiles will miss if the Cobra accelerates upwards a tiny bit.

Last edited:
There's your problem, don't use seekers in PvE when trying to kill anything other than an Eagle or SLF. Dumbfires are a much better weapon option as they have the third highest DPS of the C1 hardpoints behind only a railgun (rails are just nutty) or frag cannon (suffers against harder targets).
Not a big fan of Dumbfires, and heavy combat ships I fly don't have C1 hardpoints, but even then, taking into account ADRs, Pen is nice, and ammo is sufficient, but Rails and Frags (that I actively use on small ships), as you noted, still win hands down, one with ~65 DPS, and another with ~160, against ~25 on ADRs. Plus not to mention how much easier those are to land compared to dumbfires in general, and that those short range Rails, in particular, are a great help at taking out shields, especially with few and small hardpoints available. Frags have several most useful experimentals to boot.

Edit: You're also using C2 seekers, don't do that.
You telling me, eh? ;)

Side PSA: If you're having trouble killing Cobras with gimballed or turreted weapons, target their FSD, as it's in the very centre of the ship.
The auto-target point they normally use is just slightly higher than if you were to target the cargo hatch, meaning projectiles will miss if the Cobra accelerates upwards a tiny bit.
Curious. Never had any problem killing Cobras, but I didn't know that. Appreciate the tip!

As a DBS user (G4 SRB Cytos with phasing plus G5 Rapid-fire Dumbfires with Penetrator) i can vouch for dumbfires effectiveness.
I've found them better than cannons, mostly because they're able to deplete the mrp very fast and hit multiple modules at the same time (externals included)

Also i have completely forgot about advanced dumbfires... time to refresh some builds

The only real problem is having to hunt a pirate Conda wirh 4 PDT. That requires very close range firing solutions.
So close that the aoe explosion used reset my own FSD too (back then i was using a Grom bomb and a normal dumbfire) :D

To be honest, the current implementation of all missiles makes me pretty sad.

I remember old games like Star Lancer, where all ships had missiles as an entirely separate subclass of armament.

Probably my favorite was the screamer missile; a pod of 40 dumb fire semi-automatic Rockets , that you could fire as fast as you could mash the trigger.

Then you had what were essentially torpedoes, the Jackhammer, a single extremely powerful missile, with a long lock on time, but if you could get them to hit, you would very nearly take out the entire enemy in one shot. That's what Torpedoes should be; screw Reverb Cascade; just make them do 3000 damage when they hit, and give a great big honking alarm signal when you have one on you.

Havoc missiles, which temporarily disabled all Targets in their Splash radius, sending them spinning helplessly.

Solomon missiles, dumbfire missiles that homed in automatically on hostile targets.

Imp missiles, that caused heavy Shield damage in a large radius.

My point is, you shouldn't have to engineer a dozen different missile racks to get all the options. Heck, you shouldn't even need to sacrifice a hard point for it; it should be an entirely separate subsection of the ship. One with extremely limited ammo, reserved for special purposes.

I look at the bottom of the T10 and I see all those tubes there and think, those should all be missile hardpoints. I should be worrying about Target locks regularly in combat, it shouldn't be something I ignore as a badly designed ship that will do minimal damage to me.

Missiles need way more than just statistical Buffs; they need a ground-up redesign.

Top Bottom