Likelyhood of getting a Planet Zoo 2 and Planet Coaster 2?

I hear a lot of negativity about how well this game is doing, and I'm not sure how accurate these worries are, and what the future holds for this game. But I also hear people say they are optimistic about the existence of a Planet Coaster 2, and it made me think... would they make a Planet Zoo 2 as well, then?

I know it's way too early to be worried about that, but I can't help but wonder. If they make a PlanCo 2 I'll probably buy it, if I see they've improved their formula. I never played the first one-- Planet Zoo was my debut with Frontier games. But if I see that they came up with a better pathing system for PlanCo 2, and improved on other feedback from the fans? I'd take that as a big reason to buy the game, hopefully encouraging them to make a Planet Zoo sequel as well.

Last edited:
Tbh I would rather if we have just Planet Zoo supported for years. Paths and gameplay is not that much of a problem for me to want to buy the whole game and its dlcs all over again. The game just came out!

But what I think would be cool is that if we do not get aquatic animals (I am counting on semi-aquatics at some point, but not sure about completely aquatic), then the sequel could be Planet Aquarium.

At this moment I think there is a higher chance of getting a Planco 2 than a PlanZoo.

The same concerns where raised with Planco shortly after release 3 years ago.

No need to worry

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't want a Planet Zoo sequel to come out for a long time. I would rather it feel like an entirely new and improved game, of a whole new era, so it definitely wouldn't feel like just paying for the same game again.

If PlanCo 2 comes out in, say, 2022, and PlanZoo 2 in 2026, the improvements by then would be vast. They might even be able to have Planet Zoo and "Planet Aquarium" in one game, including aviaries and all that other stuff we've been talking about. If I knew that was gonna happen in the future, I wouldn't find if Planet Zoo had none of that stuff at all. Better off waiting for the whole package when it's doable, rather then stressing out the Frontier employees with all our wishlists. It would put our minds at ease, as well as theirs. Unfortunately nobody REALLY can predict the future, haha

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
Wow pretty early to talk about a planet zoo. Especially since Bo commented they will be dedicated to this game for awhile. Planet Coaster on the other hand I expect a sequel eventually as the game is very popular and fans are eagerly waiting for it. Keep in mind fans want the ability to make water parks and more. So it may be awhile to make a newer version of the cobra engine capable of these requests. Planet zoo on the other hand imo is a better game with many nice features that many Planco would love to have. Also a modified version of the cobra engine which we have no idea the full capabilities of. I think planet zoo had a lot of unnecessary backlash and got off to a rough start but I think in two yrs time will be a distant memory to be honest. But yeah someday I’m sure there will be a jwe,planet zoo, and Planco sequel as I read frontier is dedicated to improving their current titles. I read this probably 2-3 yrs ago. While I’m sure a new title could find its way in there I don’t think anything will change for their main titles.

Like I said, I'd expect a Planet Coaster 2 around 2022 and a Planet Zoo 2 around 2026. So I'm not on the edge of my seat, lol just wondering why there's so much doom and gloom over this game's success. (Or lack thereof.) I always heard good things about Planet Coaster, but was never a part of the community. So I had to wonder if negative fan attitude toward PlanZoo was an actual bad sign, or just the same critique that PlanCo got. I though both games were big successes, before seeing fan drama.

Well I think some of the problems with this game are franchise got off to a rough start as a lot more players play this mode then I anticipated. Although the last few times I’ve played it went really smooth. Also the dlc model has gotten some criticism. I think impatience and the dislike of the current 4 animal format has also played a role. I think people just have to see the big picture dlc wise as a member of the forum has a thread commenting on a 4 pack release. 4 times a yr for 3 yrs which I think is very realistic. That’s 48 animals over a three yr term. While that’s plenty for me others seem to want like 200-300 animals and I just don’t see that happening nor did I ever expect that to happen. Because of the ai and realism of the game I worried about not getting enough animals before release. With the 48 animals model that far exceeded my expectations to be honest. Also the game will receive some backlash as many expect penguins,otters,marine dlc, and birds which may or not be possible with the current engine so will just have to wait and see. I’d be somewhat disappointed if some of those couldn’t be implemented but it’s not the end of the world as the game is still very impressive.

Totally agree with all of that. And tbh that's probably why I'm already daydreaming about sequels and stuff-- before this game, I thought the zoo sim was dead forever. And now we've opened this whole world of potential, that I'd stopped myself from even thinking about for so many years. That might be what causes people to get their expectations so high: we want to make up for all the years without any zoo games, and see all the potential. But after some thought, just knowing a future zoo game with marine animals and aviaries might be possible later, makes me more content with this game just being... the way it is now.

I can agree I know speculation on this game started about a yr or two before release with planet safari. But I kind of gave up on the idea since everything was just speculation. I used to play zt2 and was waiting for RR to be completed but the game became stale and members slowly stepped away from that game but I’m very much into this game as it’s everything I’ve been waiting for. You can literally create anything on this game and overall it’s just stunning. Now the hard part waiting for the South American pack to be released in a few days.

I have played PlanCoaster over and over for years now and still enjoy it . But a lot of people on that forum think as they are porting it for consoles and no mention of updates for a long time that PC wise its dead in the water and waiting for a new version .
Planet Zoo i think has a long long future ahead of it . I know the forums are full of people demanding or hoping for aquatic animals and giving Frontier a hard time because the DLC packs don't have a ton of animals . There are also a heck of a lot of people who don't come in here because they are more than happy just playing and building and only stick their noses in to see if there's any news on the next pack or update
I have seen people saying youtubers etc are complaining about they are bored with the game , but TBH they tend to move from game to game to keep people watching their video's , a lot of them don't actually care about the games for more than a six month period until the next big new one comes along

Finally the Sims 4 forums are a lot more caustic than these forums and the stick EA get makes this look like a really happy forum to be on

These are just my thoughts , I am loving playing PlanCo and PlanZoo and can see myself playing them for a lot longer yet

Think you are a little early with these speculations, especially regarding Planet Zoo as it hasn't even been out for a year yet, lol.
However, in terms of sequels etc, they are usually determined by how well the game does and sell. Companies rarely show the public the exact profit a game has had, so that bit is left for guessing. In terms of how well a game does, I assume depends on feedback. Too much negativity and they might not deem it worth to make a sequel as they might not make enough money of it.
It really does depend on the company as well, some would attempt a sequel using what they have learned from the previous game in an attempt to make it better. Others just wouldn't bother.
There really isn't a definite way of predicting whenever a game will get a sequel or not, I am not even sure the companies knows until they have made the decision and even there some games still gets shelved while in development. Best bet is probably just to wait and see if it gets one or not.

Well I think some of the problems with this game are franchise got off to a rough start as a lot more players play this mode then I anticipated. Although the last few times I’ve played it went really smooth. Also the dlc model has gotten some criticism. I think impatience and the dislike of the current 4 animal format has also played a role. I think people just have to see the big picture dlc wise as a member of the forum has a thread commenting on a 4 pack release. 4 times a yr for 3 yrs which I think is very realistic. That’s 48 animals over a three yr term. While that’s plenty for me others seem to want like 200-300 animals and I just don’t see that happening nor did I ever expect that to happen. Because of the ai and realism of the game I worried about not getting enough animals before release. With the 48 animals model that far exceeded my expectations to be honest. Also the game will receive some backlash as many expect penguins,otters,marine dlc, and birds which may or not be possible with the current engine so will just have to wait and see. I’d be somewhat disappointed if some of those couldn’t be implemented but it’s not the end of the world as the game is still very impressive.

You are correct, I'm one of those that supported this game from day one, and still do, however the current DLC announcement did create some disappointment. This is in part to my own lack of previous experience with video games and understanding of the technology associated with producing this game. Since then, several members of the community including yourself have changed my mind by educating me in the process. As you have said the game might only be able to support so much content, frontier never stepped in to say that was not the case, to that in turn seems like an admission to me. I have just adjusted my expectations and will get the most of what we have so far. As an example I had started a thread about birds, and planned to upload suggestions of possible species for each continent, and that is all finished now before it even got a good start, what would be the point? At the end if birds do come it would more than likely be four of them. As far as a marine based DLC, whoever thought of that, they would do well to forget all about it, because it would make no sense with the current format. I think at this point if only 4 to 5 animals are possible the game should just focus on what it already has started.

I have seen people saying youtubers etc are complaining about they are bored with the game , but TBH they tend to move from game to game to keep people watching their video's , a lot of them don't actually care about the games for more than a six month period until the next big new one comes along

Well, that really depends on what YouTubers we are talking about. If you mean Channes that only play popular games: Yes, you are right.
I watch exclusively YouTubers that are either "Planet Verse only" YouTubers or at least creative gaming YouTubers and with that niché they are indeed what makes those games live a long live. They are quite assionate about the Planet UNiverse games and don't get enough of those game easily. So when they complain, I think something really is a bit off and needs improvement.
The good part about it is, that Frontier is very good in adapting to their player base and updating their games based on players feedback.

To add to the topic: I think Planet Coaster 2 is already in the making. With PLanet Zoo 2 it all depends on if this will become the money making machine it has the potential for. Because at the moment there is a lot unused potential.

Top Bottom