Live stream format change - Ed

Time to move to a private group for streaming. Seeing Ed getting ganked every stream is getting old, time for a format change.

I suggest Ed creates a group and select different community players to join in the stream from a pot of volunteers.

I know that they want to stay on open mode but there are idiots in life that just like to spoil things.

Frankly I'm bored of the ganking now.

Until there is a option to opt in for ganking then the streams will remain sour.
-----------------------

EDIT: I just want to make it clear, as others have said here. This is about a small group of 'players' that specifically target the live stream to disrupt it. It has nothing to do with Open play ganking such as Community goal ganking.

It's not exactly difficult for a person to target a streamer with a loadout and ship placed in game with full knowledge of where the victim is, what they are flying, what they are trying to achieve. For this reason I feel streams would work better in a private group to ensure the game is represented fairly. Rather than this is what happens when you are targeted by players when you are streaming.

Last edited:
Livestreaming, whether by a developer or player is about sharing a gaming experience. Many streamers will have an aim in mind when playing, usually something they want to show their viewers or a goal they want to acheive. When that gets interrupted by people who view you as a target to publicly harass, and also openly show they are attacking you to gain notoriety, then this is not fun (and Frontier have said before this is against their rules).

It's great we have an open dynamic world within Elite. But if streamers become a target of stream sniping, then that is neither fun for the viewers, nor fun for the streamers.

Time to move to a private group for streaming. Seeing Ed getting ganked every stream is getting old, time for a format change.

I suggest Ed creates a group and select different community players to join in the stream from a pot of volunteers.

I know that they want to stay on open mode but there are idiots in life that just like to spoil things.

Frankly I'm bored of the ganking now.

Until there is a option to opt in for ganking then the streams will remain sour

I disagree. I think Ed should keep streaming in Open.

After all, Open is the mode Frontier are trying to get more people to play in this multi-player version of Elite; it wouldn't look good if Frontier livestreams were all done in a protected environment, free from the players who just like to "Or just hunt other commanders", as is what is in Frontier's marketing.

Ergo: Frontier should always stream in Open - they market the game as multi-player, they also keep trying to encourage everyone to play in Open, and seeing as livestreaming is a form of marketing, everyone should see what the game entails - warts and all - and if that includes being ganked at every opportunity presented to those players who "Or just hunt other commanders" - as it states in their marketing - then anything else would just be a misrepresentation of the game.

Regards

After all, Open is the mode Frontier are trying to get more people to play in this multi-player version of Elite; it wouldn't look good if Frontier livestreams were all done in a protected environment, free from the players who just like to "Or just hunt other commanders", as is what is in Frontier's marketing.

Ergo: Frontier should always stream in Open - they market the game as multi-player, they also keep trying to encourage everyone to play in Open, and seeing as livestreaming is a form of marketing, everyone should see what the game entails - warts and all - and if that includes being ganked at every opportunity presented to those players who "Or just hunt other commanders" - as it states in their marketing - then anything else would just be a misrepresentation of the game.

Regards

Open is great, the risk of being attacked by other players is fun.

Publicly targeting and harassing a streamer is a different story (and is also against Frontier policy).

The problem is that it's not giving a true impression of Open. It's making it look like a non-stop gank fest, which (outside of a few areas) it isn't.

Regards

I don't like this obvious sniper/bullies, but I'm in agreement with this person, this is the game Frontier wanted, or not?

Publicly targeting and harassing a streamer is a different story (and is also against Frontier policy).

I understand what you're saying, OA. I truly do, but I don't think you're getting what I'm saying :)

This isn't just any streamer, this is a Frontier stream. It's marketing, and if Frontier are trying to market a game for which there are zero consequences for "Or just hunt other commanders", then the marketing should reflect the true state of the game, and the true state of the game is: consequence-free (in-game) "Or just hunt other commanders".

Frontier resorting to a private group for a livestream would be misleading.

Disagreed. :)

It would be showing there are alternatives. Private Groups are as much part of the game as gankers. Perhaps starting a stream in Open, and when one of the mouthbreathers show up, he goes: well, I am not really in the mood for not having fun tonight, so I'll just log into the great Mobius Private Group and continue my stream.

I understand what you're saying, OA. I truly do, but I don't think you're getting what I'm saying :)

This isn't just any streamer, this is a Frontier stream. It's marketing, and if Frontier are trying to market a game for which there are zero consequences for "Or just hunt other commanders", then the marketing should reflect the true state of the game, and the true state of the game is: consequence-free (in-game) "Or just hunt other commanders".

I agree that is the bind Frontier are in, and I don't envy them.

Bottom line though, is that stream sniping and publicly harassing people (whether players or Frontier staff), is against Frontier policy. The only question is whether or not Frontier want to be seen enforcing that policy.

Except that Private groups are also a part of the game. They could state up front "we normally fly in Open, but if you prefer a more relaxed and non-antagonistic game style then you can fly in a Private Group, like we are today".

They could then be interdicted by a Fuel Rat that refuels them whether they wanted to or not! :)

The problem is that it's not giving a true impression of Open. It's making it look like a non-stop gank fest, which (outside of a few areas) it isn't.

Oh but it is giving a true impression of Open. If a player chooses to play in Open, they choose the risk of being attacked at any point in the game.

Look, I'm only using the justifications as given by the very people who choose to attack anything with a hollow square here. Currently, ganking or blowing up a ship is consequence-free for those doing it. Frontier's marketing states "Or just hunt other commanders". There is no getting around it.

Perhaps some haven't caught on to what I'm actually doing here :)

Agreed. So it's up to FDev to take action against those CMDRs breaching the policy.

Ed has already said that he planning some "Get Good" livestreams where he'll be tutored in PvP:

"This is amazing! I've come to expect it on streams at this point. I actually escaped the first time! Just couldn't make it after the second interdiction...
I will be doing some "get good" style livestreams where I'm trained up by various communities in the art of PVP. Coming soon....

Edit - also worth noting that I am more of a target than most... not only am I streaming the game (which already puts people under fire) but I'm on the official developer streams - I have a HUGE target symbol on my ship. For that reason I don't believe this is representative of "real" open gameplay experience for most players."

Agreed. So it's up to FDev to take action against those CMDRs breaching the policy.

Ed has already said that he planning some "Get Good" livestreams where he'll be tutored in PvP:

"This is amazing! I've come to expect it on streams at this point. I actually escaped the first time! Just couldn't make it after the second interdiction...
I will be doing some "get good" style livestreams where I'm trained up by various communities in the art of PVP. Coming soon....

Edit - also worth noting that I am more of a target than most... not only am I streaming the game (which already puts people under fire) but I'm on the official developer streams - I have a HUGE target symbol on my ship. For that reason I don't believe this is representative of "real" open gameplay experience for most players."
Yeah, the actions taken against CMDRs crapping over your stream is to give in to those same players and dance to their tune.

We all know and have seen many examples that Frontier hasn't got a backbone in that regard. For 3 years asymmetric PvP has been free of consequence, and with that kind of attitude it always will be.

I don't think folks have clocked on to what I was actually doing, so I'll spell it out ;)

I totally agree with the responses I've been getting.

What I'm actually saying, is that Frontier have designed a game for which there are zero consequences for attacking other players. Yet, they market the game, and have been trying to promote the Open mode for years, now, and even have the phrase "Or just hunt other commanders" in said marketing, without having done much if anything to bring consequences into the game for aberrant/criminal behaviour.

Therefore, in my opinion, if Frontier want to market the game, and stream in Open, and all they get in return is a paddlin' , this should really encourage them to hurry up and start getting some semblance of consequences into the game. :)

Regards

I have to agree with this, moving the stream to a private group would be tacit admission that there's nothing they can do about gankers and would not represent the experience many have when engaging with CGs in open.

I feel that they have to address it in open with the tools they have, which currently are either blocking or, as OA says, enforcing their stream sniping policy.
They're between a rock and a hard place and I think they should stay there until they introduce in game mechanics that genuinely mitigate or dissuade such behaviour (which to be fair they have talked about doing)

Top Bottom