[Livestreams] Pre-2.4 Lore Stream Summary

Here's a question: How did the fed ships find the Thargoid? Did they just hop around Maia until they were hyperdicted? Nope, because the Thargoid ship was in front of them. So they must have some means of finding and interdicting Thargoid vessels.
We have a basic colour code for 'mood states' green being passive and red aggressive so are we going to get different colours for ship lights? Pull over a Thargoid and flash our head lights? Now that would lead to some 'close encounters' right there! :eek: Seriously though if we're going to have communication how are we going to bridge the language and communication style divide.

Recommend full SaLT (Speech and Language Therapy) assessment and BASAL (Behavioural Assessment Scale of Alien Life). Traffic Light system for PBS (Positive Behavioural Support) complete.
I've been off work not even a week and I'm still writing assessments! :)

Nice write up, but one thing bugs me about it. Morse code in the unknown artifacts. Im no good at math but I do know it takes 4 years for radio waves to get to the nearest star, morse had a short shelf live.

This might have been answered before but why morse and not somthing a bit more mathmatical or science based.

In Elite there are human-transmitted morse code messages you can find. So in the Elite universe Morse is still being used across the human bubble pretty extensively. Nav beacons transmit in Morse code, there are Unregistered Comms Beacons which transmit in Morse, and there are occasionally secret messages in the local newspapers which are written in Morse Code. Probably other things as well - this is just off the top of my head. So it stands to reason that if the Thargoids have been spying on us for a while, *and* the Alien Artifacts were intended to be human-readable, that they might employ Morse code.

Morse code can be used as a simple encoding method for a lot of different carriers. We have FTL comms in text and audio form ingame - who's to say that it wasn't morse code dots and dashes encoded into that form of FTL comms ?

True just thought it was more of an outdated form of communication.

In Elite there are human-transmitted morse code messages you can find. So in the Elite universe Morse is still being used across the human bubble pretty extensively. Nav beacons transmit in Morse code, there are Unregistered Comms Beacons which transmit in Morse, and there are occasionally secret messages in the local newspapers which are written in Morse Code. Probably other things as well - this is just off the top of my head. So it stands to reason that if the Thargoids have been spying on us for a while, *and* the Alien Artifacts were intended to be human-readable, that they might employ Morse code.

Well that sums it up, thanks chaps. :)

Thanks for the effort.
Maybe Frontier find a "solution" for the not in game yet "Veliaze"-system (see under year 3125).
If i missed it at the map somehow i beg your pardon ....
Veliaze had a New Africa, and there is a New Africa in two systems in Elite dangerous. I have been to both but I'm not sure if either is a renamed Veliaze. The systems are Zelada and Epsilon Indi (I would have to check spelling)

So the original 'Thargoid' (we don't know what they call themselves) encounters only lasted a year? Is that right?

I always thought that the thargoid threat lasted a lot longer than a year.

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Afternoon everyone,

I hope you all had a great weekend!

Having had a look through this thread I can see there are a fair few questions you guys would like answered. I'm afraid that I cannot answer them all for various reasons, however the ones I can I have.

Paige. Is the official fiction still canon? If so then T James' book (Out of Darkness) becomes important reading for commanders everywhere, as it deals with many things Thargoid (and other similar species) related.

The short answer is, yes! All the official books by various authors are considered Canon within the ED universe, however with any constantly evolving universe it would be difficult to align every detail of the novels to the game, so in some cases, you may see some disconnect.

Thanks for the effort. Maybe Frontier find a "solution" for the not in game yet "Veliaze"-system (see under year 3125). If i missed it at the map somehow i beg your pardon ....

You're correct in a way, "Veliaze" is not in game. At some point in recent history, The Pilots Federation chose to reclassify the star system simply in the interest of aiding interstellar navigation. As such, many of you may have unknowingly visited the system, which is now named Epsilon Indi!

Paige, will QA part of stream will be available somewhere? Thanks...and thanks for these summaries in forum for streams, very nice idea!

While I'd love to get answers to every question you guys asked in the livestream; with 4500 watching and chatting, unfortunately, it wasn't possible to take down the questions asked. Was there something asked you wanted to know?

Can I ask, in the live stream Ed talks about Aegis then segways into the video. Are the CMDRs in the video a part of Aegis? It's not clear but it seems implied.

The pilots from the Cinematic are not part of Aegis themselves. They were contracted by the group to test experimental weaponry. That's all we know about them I'm afraid!

For me personally, I think the real mystery is not the Thargoids and that they exist but instead why we seem to be engaged in hostilities.

Friday's Galnet article will go some way to explaining why humanity appears to have become engaged in hostilities. https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/59bb9793d5777560b7216455

"But fresh reports indicate that another attack, resulting in the loss of a Farragut-class Battlecruiser and a number of other vessels, has recently taken place. In a galaxy-wide announcement, the Federation confirmed that the attack was perpetrated by Thargoid Interceptor-class vessels, as corroborated by those who survived the assault."

I hope these answers help illuminate some of the mysteries surrounding the Thargoids and what we know so far!

Paige

Afternoon everyone,

I hope you all had a great weekend!

Having had a look through this thread I can see there are a fair few questions you guys would like answered. I'm afraid that I cannot answer them all for various reasons, however the ones I can I have.

The short answer is, yes! All the official books by various authors are considered Canon within the ED universe, however with any constantly evolving universe it would be difficult to align every detail of the novels to the game, so in some cases, you may see some disconnect.

You're correct in a way, "Veliaze" is not in game. At some point in recent history, The Pilots Federation chose to reclassify the star system simply in the interest of aiding interstellar navigation. As such, many of you may have unknowingly visited the system, which is now named Epsilon Indi!

While I'd love to get answers to every question you guys asked in the livestream; with 4500 watching and chatting, unfortunately, it wasn't possible to take down the questions asked. Was there something asked you wanted to know?

The pilots from the Cinematic are not part of Aegis themselves. They were contracted by the group to test experimental weaponry. That's all we know about them I'm afraid!

Friday's Galnet article will go some way to explaining why humanity appears to have become engaged in hostilities. https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/59bb9793d5777560b7216455

"But fresh reports indicate that another attack, resulting in the loss of a Farragut-class Battlecruiser and a number of other vessels, has recently taken place. In a galaxy-wide announcement, the Federation confirmed that the attack was perpetrated by Thargoid Interceptor-class vessels, as corroborated by those who survived the assault."

I hope these answers help illuminate some of the mysteries surrounding the Thargoids and what we know so far!

Paige

Thank you for answering. Well i's going to be busy week. Finish outfitting ship for battle, catch up on some reading, RL work and repairing hurricane damage.....going to have to prioritize here me thinks. Hope the RNG gods are kind this week.

Paige

Fed being Feds, they probably shot first, and when the Thargy shot back, called it an attack. I don't think that explain why humanity would be engaged in hostilities...

Fed being Feds, they probably shot first, and when the Thargy shot back, called it an attack. I don't think that explain why humanity would be engaged in hostilities...

Even if we didn't shoot first (and I agree we probably did, not that it matters much as our weapons don't really work on them anyway), the destroyed ships were probably carrying stolen Thargoid tech, not to mention we also encroached their space and set up armed blockades around their resources. I doubt there is any reason to dispute who really is to blame for starting the hostilities, as they were more than justified in destroying our ships.

But it does explain the hostilities.

Naturally in the past our leadership couldn't admit that there was the remote possibility there was another species in the galaxy, because despite knowing they've been encountered before, it was classified. When Halsey (I think that's her name) said something about aliens, she was branded insane for mentioning it, whether she had clearance or not to know is another matter, but either way, it had to be suppressed. But eventually the truth came out and yep there's aliens, so the leadership acts all concerned and surprised, because they have to save face, they didn't know either, they claim, yet they also transported UA's before we knew about the barnacles, but yeah sure we all believe them they never even suspected.

Now some of our ships have been destroyed, and naturally the leadership can't leave that go unanswered, it's all about how it looks, not what is actually true, they have to save face somehow. What better way to achieve that than to play the victim, and claim that we have been wronged, since they destroyed OUR ships.

So that's why humanity will be engaged in hostilities, our leaders are doing the usual thing, using propaganda to rationalize their actions, in this case, they claim the moral high ground, so they can say they're developing weapons that can hurt the thargoids, (despite already having done so according to prior leaked footage of the weapons being tested) which then forces the thargoids to have no choice but to defend themselves, so they become more hostile, as will we... hence hostilities.

Paige, sorry, I wasn't precise.

What I said that can you add Sandro's already answered questions in text format to stream summary? That would be nice.

I'd need to transcribe them manually, but will see what I can do :)

Thank you! I think transcription of any such streams would also give you and team to look over the questions and maybe clarify them to lessen confusion that sometimes arises from questions in streams. Also having QA in form of text would give people not being able to spend time to watch streams to catch up to news.

Thanks for doing this, appreciated.

I also add my voice to the appreciation for this post - it makes it clear what we've been doing these last couple of years, and where we are now.

Now if only someone could arrange a video story like the 2.4 trailer with these events... :D

I think the interactions between Humanity and Thargoidity follow the history of warfare as described in The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy:

Retribution: I'm going to kill you because you killed my brother (Thargoid response to Veliaze)
Anticipation: I'm going to kill you because I killed your brother (INRA unleashes the Mycoid Virus)
Diplomacy: I'm going to kill my brother and then kill you on the pretext that your brother did it

The Diplomacy phase might run something along the lines of: Human Faction A attacks Human Faction B and blames the Thargoids for it. Human Faction A sits back and watches while Human Faction B and the Thargoids knock seven varieties of biowaste out of each other. This techinique is known as the Farage Gambit.

this video which at least is a clear evidence to me about *who* started the aggression.

Why? Yes, the Aegis contracted CMDRs were the aggressors in this instance. But that doesn't rule out the possibility that Thargoids attacked humans at some point prior to this.

Guys, is it possible to witness those events described in the lore, or does the game moves on without ability to catch up with the past? Like, if you missed those events that's it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom