Looking back at your first day with ED

Today I took my Sidewinder for a ride and it felt a bit like my first day with ED only it was not as frustrating as the first day. I went to a nav beacon shot some wanted ship that was ranked novice. It took for ages before he caved but unlike the first day I was controlling the fight. My shields held up 100% the whole fight. Which is weird as the first day I remember having to flee from every ship or got destroyed.

When I wanted to cash the bounty and return to my Python I noticed my sidewinder didn't had a DC which made it really old skool. I remember my first day searching for an entrance and cancelling my docking request because I could not find an entrance. Today I docked with much ease almost as good as my DC unlike my first day were I even couldn't find the docking pad with all those pads lightning up. When I finally would find my docking pad I would have to go back out of the station because my docking timer was running out.

It made me wonder why ED has to be so hard for beginners. A few flashing arrows here and there would make it much easier for beginners. Because that's is where my first day ended with ED. I got to fly a ship, couldn't shoot anything without fleeing or being destroyed and couldn't dock without canceling my docking request or being destroyed.

So what do you remember of your first day(s) with ED? Was it also an experience that took for ages and is now something you do in a few minutes?

There is arrows pointing at the door, they dont flash, but they are there. On the little display thing, theres arrows telling you where the door is. Ive never used a docking comp

ai2theH.png

see the little arrows

When I arrive at a station I will have to check it out. Besides the mailslot I haven't seen any indicators on the HUD representation of the station. But I meant like real visual cues because getting used to the HUD the first days was also a real challenge :p

EDIT: Nope no indicators here

Last edited:
I think I get worse the more I play, I'm a much worser docker now, bouncing off pads, getting stuck to the cattle grid, or other objects, forgetting landing gear, forgetting to request docking permission, twice yesterday I requested dock permission, forgot I had, requested it again which cancelled the first one and then tresspassed, over shooting, over compensating, Ive got more fines in the last week for crashing and tresspassing than the whole of the other time put together, been killed twice in about 4 days, none when I was a beginner

You switch off I think or get too comfortable or arent concentrating or trying so hard, the more you play

Last edited:

have over 200 hours played and it never even occurred to me that those arrows pointed to the entrance, never even thought of them as arrows, just some random surface detail. I've always used the 'anticlockwise rule', not sure if this applies to all stations but the Coriolis stations always rotate in the same direction and when facing the entrance head on it spins anticlockwise

As for my first ever day I remember just undocking, going into supercruise and docking at another station felt like quite the adventure. It was all so very confusing but I loved every minute.

Last edited:
On the original the door always faced the planet, but the rotation thing works too, theres only two possible sides it can be on, the sides that spin flat, so you have a 50/50, even if you cant figure out your wises :)

Yes those little arrows are there, but unless you have a 60 inch screen and sit real close, you can't see them. Finding the door takes longer to do then approaching from the planet side, and maybe it's just me, but seems like I get interdicted less often also. My approach after or just before hitting the 7 is to set a course for a 1/3 to 1/2 way point between the planet and station. Then turn and enter the mm's from the planet side, at or about 5, I step on the gas, at the ks's, I throttle back to zero to avoid getting to close when I enter the station instance.

Out post, I come in just the opposite. Lining up my ship with the station and planet all in a straight line.

Having prior experience as a real pilot, my planetary landings are smooth as silk, one can barely tell when the instanencing starts and finishes.

On the original the door always faced the planet, but the rotation thing works too, theres only two possible sides it can be on, the sides that spin flat, so you have a 50/50, even if you cant figure out your wises :)

I am sure the door still faces the planet, just boost towards it flip over and its there. It wasn't until I got docking mastered , that I experienced a boost inside the station . There is no feeling like the pounding of the reverse throttle as you speed towards a station wall.

I think I get worse the more I play, I'm a much worser docker now, bouncing off pads, getting stuck to the cattle grid, or other objects, forgetting landing gear, forgetting to request docking permission, twice yesterday I requested dock permission, forgot I had, requested it again which cancelled the first one and then tresspassed, over shooting, over compensating, Ive got more fines in the last week for crashing and tresspassing than the whole of the other time put together, been killed twice in about 4 days, none when I was a beginner

You switch off I think or get too comfortable or arent concentrating or trying so hard, the more you play

I am a lot worse docking these days. It's not because I've bought a DC, it's just that I've come to rely on my shields. Whamming my nose into the docking bay is the easiest way of shedding speed.

My first day in ED began at 2:00 AM, which started a week of very little sleep. It's all a blur now, and I still haven't paid off my sleep debt, but I remember that I had a blast of a time! The game more than paid for itself that first week alone.

we saw the game on the playstation store for 40 bucks, and remember hearing good things about it, so we figured we'd check it out. i believe that first day lasted 3 days, involved very little sleep, and a whole lot of horrible and speculator wrecks before i got the hang of things. a few days later we got horizons, but by then i had the hang of things. so looking back, my first day was kind of surreal since i could have been doing so much more.

Top Bottom