General / Off-Topic Loosing your Arm

What would nvidia do with Arm? Nerf the tech? Apple are moving to a custom arm. We get economies of scale with Nvidia.

NVIDIA would make a killing on licensing fees and no longer need to pay such fees themselves for the ARM SoCs they design. It would also allow more vertical integration for their server and HPC products.

I can't imagine ARM no longer being British.

ARM is part of the prestige of the United Kingdom.

And excellent memories of my teenage years.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
As someone who lives in London where popping to the shops is like travling to Poland Turkey . I was In ;China town' yesterday I am laughing hard,
We don't 'manufacture anything. We are know crying about China tech invasion. Also jobs are taken by non Uk nationals. The French trash the UK at every opportunity.

As someone who lives in London where popping to the shops is like travling to Poland Turkey . I was In ;China town' yesterday I am laughing hard,
We don't 'manufacture anything. We are know crying about China tech invasion. Also jobs are taken by non Uk nationals. The French trash the UK at every opportunity.
London is the symbol of globalization. :)

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

"Softbank acquired Arm in 2016 for $31.4 billion in 2016 in one of its largest acquisitions ever. Arm is best known as the designer of an architecture used in chips in most mobile phones, including the Qualcomm chips used in most Android phones, as well as Apple's iPhone. Apple is also planning to shift its Mac computers from Intel chips to an Arm-based design."

Er its very discriminatory to be honest. You A need to be rich to get anywhere. Everyone in their place. People are just as discriminatory online given the chance and profiling goes on in the streets.
It doesn't surprise me. Globalization is also discriminatory.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

It’s a real shame ARM was ever let go in the first place. The U.K. government should take a leaf out of all sensible European countries books (like France) and have golden shares in key companies like ARM. The U.K. has to be the least protectionist country on the planet and at this rate there won’t be any big British companies left. They nearly let BAE systems go but the Germans stopped it thankfully. Roll Royce is the only one I think the government have golden shares in.

It’s only a matter of time until ARM is shipped out to the US. God help the Chinese phone makers when the US government decides to ban them using ARM designs!

"Softbank acquired Arm in 2016 for $31.4 billion in 2016 in one of its largest acquisitions ever. Arm is best known as the designer of an architecture used in chips in most mobile phones, including the Qualcomm chips used in most Android phones, as well as Apple's iPhone. Apple is also planning to shift its Mac computers from Intel chips to an Arm-based design."

This post repeats the OP without adde
It’s a real shame ARM was ever let go in the first place. The U.K. government should take a leaf out of all sensible European countries books (like France) and have golden shares in key companies like ARM. The U.K. has to be the least protectionist country on the planet and at this rate there won’t be any big British companies left. They nearly let BAE systems go but the Germans stopped it thankfully. Roll Royce is the only one I think the government have golden shares in.

It’s only a matter of time until ARM is shipped out to the US. God help the Chinese phone makers when the US government decides to ban them using ARM designs!
The Gov bailed out RBS .

Well this is news... https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/arm-sell-off-a-disaster-for-uk-tech-7jhplb2hn
But I thought its already had been sold on. Its a free market capitalist economy The UK gave up being a manufacturing base long ago

What would nvidia do with Arm? Nerf the tech? Apple are moving to a custom arm. We get economies of scale with Nvidia.

ARM don’t make chips they design them and create the instruction sets and license them to chip makers. SoftBank stuck to their promise of keeping ARM in the U.K. but I doubt Nvidia will.... think Kraft Cadbury take over and all Krafts lies. They pretty much closed all of it down in the U.K. apart from the bits they could use as a tax dodge.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Please discuss the topic. Politics is not the topic. Failure to comply will result in advisories, warnings, reply-bans and / or thread closure.

I'm far more concerned with the potential for an NVIDIA monopoly in key sectors than with any nationalistic sentiments about corporations, and this would still be the case even if I were British.

NVIDIA acquiring ARM is good for the shareholders of both companies, and probably bad for everyone else.

I'm far more concerned with the potential for an NVIDIA monopoly in key sectors than with any nationalistic sentiments about corporations, and this would still be the case even if I were British.

NVIDIA acquiring ARM is good for the shareholders of both companies, and probably bad for everyone else.

A founder of ARM is against it. The worry about it being moved to the US (apart from all the job losses) is the lack of competition it would create and ARM technology becoming subject to US technology transfer laws. Both of which could be bad for everyone else.

Top Bottom