Lore Primer for PS4 Players

Suggestions/corrections/additions welcome. :)

Hi Drew, thanks for dropping by and putting this up for us.

I'm sure you've been asked something along the same lines here but how do you think the Salomé event affected people's perception of the lore of the Elite Dangerous Universe?

I'll be honest I was a bit disappointed. Not in the actions of a certain individual, who only did what he does best, but in the fact that even someone who hasn't even played the game yet (i.e. me) could have predicted what would happen but we were supposed to believe it was all 'in the hands of fate' as it were.

Elite: Reclamation is the first and only book for elite dangerous, the second one is still getting sorted by drew

There's more than that. And in my personal preference order.

1) Elite: Reclamation by Drew Wagar
2) Legacy by Michael Brookes
3) Tales from the Frontier (Short stories, numerous authors)
4) Elite: Lave Revolution by Allen Stroud (I have a personal stake in this one, my kid is a named important character!)
5) And Here the Wheel by John Harper
6) Mostly Harmless by Kate Russell

Not ranked
7) Elite: Out of the Darkness by T James (Not finished it, didn't realise there was a paperback so didn't get it until recently).

Last edited:
Elite: Reclamation is the first and only book for elite dangerous, the second one is still getting sorted by drew

Not true - but thanks for the compliment! :)

There are a series of official books (list below), but mine is currently the only one to have a sequel in the works (as far as I know).

Cheers,

Drew.

By me - Elite: Reclamation (being followed up 'soon' by Elite Dangerous: Premonition)
Elite: Mostly Harmless - Kate Russell
Elite: Out of the Darkness - T. James
Elite: And here the Wheel - John Harper
Elite: Legacy - Michael Brookes (yes THE Michael Brookes ;) )
Elite: Tales from the Frontier - multiple authors
Elite: Nemorensis - S. Spurrier
Elite: Docking is Difficult - G. Defoe
Elite: Wanted - G. Deas
Elite: Lave Revolution - A. Stroud

Last edited:
PS4 players! Looking forward to welcoming you to the universe of Elite Dangerous on the 27th of June.

In the meantime, get up to speed with a guide to "all you need to know about Elite Dangerous lore." - a lore primer.

Awesome! Now where do I go to get the Toby Longworth narration? :D

Not true - but thanks for the compliment! :)

There are a series of official books (list below), but mine is currently the only one to have a sequel in the works (as far as I know).

Cheers,

Drew.

By me - Elite: Reclamation (being followed up 'soon' by Elite Dangerous: Premonition)
Elite: Mostly Harmless - Kate Russell
Elite: Out of the Darkness - T. James
Elite: And here the Wheel - John Harper
Elite: Legacy - Michael Brookes (yes THE Michael Brookes ;) )
Elite: Tales from the Frontier - multiple authors
Elite: Nemorensis - S. Spurrier
Elite: Docking is Difficult - G. Defoe
Elite: Wanted - G. Deas
Elite: Lave Revolution - A. Stroud

Not often I get to ninja drew, his list is more complete because I never bought the Gollancz books, I was Elite'd out post the Fantastic Books helpings and to be honest whilst I've heard they're not bad, I didn't feel the need to buy them.

Not often I get to ninja drew, his list is more complete because I never bought the Gollancz books, I was Elite'd out post the Fantastic Books helpings and to be honest whilst I've heard they're not bad, I didn't feel the need to buy them.

Far be it from me to make recommendations but... *cough* Amazon reviews. ;)

Cheers,

Drew.

PS4 players! Looking forward to welcoming you to the universe of Elite Dangerous on the 27th of June.

In the meantime, get up to speed with a guide to "all you need to know about Elite Dangerous lore." - a lore primer.

https://www.drewwagar.com/lore/elite-dangerous-lore-everything-ps4-players-need-to-know-lore-primer/

Cheers,

Drew.

ps. If a mod could sticky if appropriate, much appreciated. Suggestions/corrections/additions welcome. :)

The Federation is more corporatist (the sociopolitical organization of a society by major interest groups) than capitalist (free trade, voluntary cooperation and private property). Because big corporations have a lot of influence on Federal society and much trade is regulated by bureaucracies.

The Alliance is very decentralized. Affiliated systems govern themselves and have their own way of life without a central government dictating such things. They primarily collaborate militarily for mutual defense.

Last edited:
I was expecting "lore primer" to equal "summary history of the ED universe", not "intro to what you do in the game". But since I'm not the target market for this then maybe I've misunderstood it's purpose.

For game story and game universe history the best available source is GalNet itself, thankfully made easily accessible on the web in these two places.

For everything else in game the ED wikia pages are the best source.

The best sources of backstory are the guides written by Allan Stroud, Dave Hughes and others for the authors, but these aren't publicly available. It would GREAT if they could be made public.

All the above is for English language, although Galnet.fr is primarily a French website. I expect the Russian players have the best lore website of all :D

EDIT: The best intro to the game is the ED website itself (even though some of it is a bit misleading).

Last edited:
I was expecting "lore primer" to equal "summary history of the ED universe", not "intro to what you do in the game". But since I'm not the target market for this then maybe I've misunderstood it's purpose.

For game story and game universe history the best available source is GalNet itself, thankfully made easily accessible on the web in these two places.

For everything else in game the ED wikia pages are the best source.

The best sources of backstory are the guides written by Allan Stroud, Dave Hughes and others for the authors, but these aren't publicly available. It would GREAT if they could be made public.

All the above is for English language, although Galnet.fr is primarily a French website. I expect the Russian players have the best lore website of all :D

EDIT: The best intro to the game is the ED website itself (even though some of it is a bit misleading).

I have a 'everything that happened in GalNet' on the to do list, but it's rather a massive undertaking for which I don''t have time at the moment. The writers guides written back in 2013 are a bit stale now unfortunately. I didn't use them for Premonition as they no longer really represent the way the game has evolved and the various retcons that have taken place since 2013, but some of the older material remains usable.

The wiki is pretty good for the most part though. :)

Cheers,

Drew.

I have a 'everything that happened in GalNet' on the to do list, but it's rather a massive undertaking for which I don''t have time at the moment. The writers guides written back in 2013 are a bit stale now unfortunately. I didn't use them for Premonition as they no longer really represent the way the game has evolved and the various retcons that have taken place since 2013, but some of the older material remains usable.

The wiki is pretty good for the most part though. :)

Cheers,

Drew.

A useful site for all things Galnet: http://ed.frank-heinrich.net/index.php?title=Galnet_Archive

Last edited:
Top Bottom