Lore questions. :)

Folks, after the reception I received on another thread I'm not going to regularly visit these forums from now on. If you'd like to ask lore questions, please feel to drop in on my Elite Dangerous stream, Thursdays at 8pm GMT/UTC over at https://twitch.tv/drewwagar

You'll be more than welcome and I'll do my best to answer any questions that crop up.

All the best and right on, Commanders. o7

Cheers,

Drew.

Its a shame you feel the need to back away from this forum, as outside of a few er... 'characters' its half decent and dare I say, sane on the whole. Either way good luck with the livestreams and lore questions- one day the Club will be outed :D

Excuse me, but I don't like this comment. Moderators have always been allowed to express their own opinions as you should well know having been here from the beginning. Moderators are also not allowed to moderate threads that they are participating in. So while you may not have liked what this mod said to you (though I thought the conversation between the two of you was the most reasoned out of the ones you got), saying that it was partisan moderation is unfair.

When we post in threads in any capacity other than enforcing the rules we are just like any other user on these forums. And the amount of work we do behind the scenes to keep threads such as the one you posted in at a reasonable level of civility, is very easily undermined by casual throwaway comments like this.

I mean no offence to you or the moderator team. I'm sure it's a horrible job. However, I was on the forum to talk about Galnet, Lore and Narrative in a thread which bore my name in the title. My motives for doing so were questioned by a moderator and I was, tacitly, accused of commenting for the sake of self-publicity and monetary reward. I think that's unreasonable.

If the moderators are going to do that, then they are at liberty to do so. I am at liberty to take umbridge at that behaviour (which I consider poor form for a moderator) and go elsewhere - hopefully proving that I'm not doing anything for self-promotion and, as an unfortunate but minor side-effect, denying the wider forum any of my future Elite related ramblings.

The moderator team may wish to reconsider their approach. I'll leave it with you, I do not intend to post here again. For those who are interested in merely discussing lore, narrative and Elite Dangerous rather than throwing around thinly veiled accusations, you can find me on twitter, facebook, twitch and youtube as per the links in my signature below.

Kind regards,

Drew.

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I mean no offence to you or the moderator team. I'm sure it's a horrible job. However, I was on the forum to talk about Galnet, Lore and Narrative in a thread which bore my name in the title. My motives for doing so were questioned by a moderator and I was, tacitly, accused of commenting for the sake of self-publicity and monetary reward. I think that's unreasonable.

If the moderators are going to do that, then they are at liberty to do so. I am at liberty to take umbridge at that behaviour and go elsewhere - hopefully proving that I'm not doing anything for self-promotion and, as an unfortunate but minor side-effect, denying the wider forum any of my future Elite related ramblings.
That's fine and I don't hold it against you, and I can understand why you would probably not like it. The issue you have though is with the user, not with partisan moderation. Because a fair amount of moderation was actually done in your favour ;)

I'm not going to get drawn into a conversation about how you interpreted the post, and derail Drew's thread in the process. But I will say the badge being permanently on is a side effect of the new forum, and one which the moderators would change if we were able.

You could create another account and use the mod one to act in a professional way if you're unable to control yourself. Or maybe give the job to somebody else.
You just can't expect people sometimes to ignore the tag and sometimes to take it serious. This is not how humans work.

On the other side, we and the company you're doing work for should be able to expect from you to behave and that means that you just don't always say what you may think especially if it leads to situations like that.
I mean seriously, we're talking about a mod who joined a witch hunt adding his own conspiracy theory.This is what a mod should moderate not initiate.

Last edited:
You could create another account and use the mod one to act in a professional way if you're unable to control yourself. Or maybe give the job to somebody else.
You just can't expect people sometimes to ignore the tag and sometimes to take it serious. This is not how humans work.

On the other side, we and the company you're doing work for should be able to expect from you to behave and that means that you just don't always say what you may think especially if it leads to situations like that.
I mean seriously, we're talking about a mod who joined a witch hunt adding his own conspiracy theory.This is what a mod should moderate not initiate.

Just to cool things off a bit before it gets nasty. As Ozric said, the mods themselves would love the option to post "off duty", but the forum software doesn't allow that. Just like forum policy doesn't allow multiple accounts I assume. Yes, it can lead to some unpleasant situations, but it's not their fault either.

I'd also like to mention that it's all voluntarily. Sure, to a certain degree they represent the developers, but they don't work for them.

And I hope you used 'you' in a general sense because especially Ozric always seems level-headed and fair and doesn't get himself into heated discussions. I personally can't think of a single post from him where he didn't display exemplary behaviour.

Just to cool things off a bit before it gets nasty. As Ozric said, the mods themselves would love the option to post "off duty", but the forum software doesn't allow that. Just like forum policy doesn't allow multiple accounts I assume. Yes, it can lead to some unpleasant situations, but it's not their fault either.

I'd also like to mention that it's all voluntarily. Sure, to a certain degree they represent the developers, but they don't work for them.

And I hope you used 'you' in a general sense because especially Ozric always seems level-headed and fair and doesn't get himself into heated discussions. I personally can't think of a single post from him where he didn't display exemplary behaviour.
Agreed.

Just to cool things off a bit before it gets nasty. As Ozric said, the mods themselves would love the option to post "off duty", but the forum software doesn't allow that. Just like forum policy doesn't allow multiple accounts I assume.

Why did you write this? Did you even look? I did and I haven't found anything saying that you can't have multiple accounts. It would be quite tragic since it's bound to your Frontier Account and many people have multiple accounts...

EDIT: since my post was deleted while other have remained (again VERY professional mod behaviour here...), I'll repeat myself: those rules you link to are from 2016 and obviously for the old forum.
You can't have 2 forum accounts now without having two frontier accounts and having multiple frontier accounts is permitted. Those are rules are what you agree upon when signing up for a new account. Try registering with a private window. You'll see where you end up.
I btw admire how you managed to derail this issue and ignore everything else that I wrote. It's not like Frontier couldn't make an exception for their moderators even if the old rules applied and if they had to because their moderators can't behave professionally...

It's an easy solution and I can imagine only one reason why someone would not do it: because he needs his reputation to be recognized if they post and this is exactly what happened here and why it is a problem.

Yes, it can lead to some unpleasant situations, but it's not their fault either.

Whose fault is it supposed to be then?
Seriously, what do you mean? It's not like somebody forced him to formulate a conspiracy and fuel the hate against Drew.
He also didn't have to do it. As far as I could see he's not the voluntary lawyer here.

The "represent" part was what I've been talking about.

Besides that, they do work for Frontier.
Just because they're not being paid doesn't make anything related to this topic less relevant.

I'm not sure if you didn't understand what I wrote, this is not my native language but I assumed the issue to be pretty easy to understand:

• people have a label of "authority"
  • people say something
ergo:
- what they say is said by "authority"

If some other user would have come in there and accused Drew to crap on the game to make some money out of it, it wouldn't be even close to relevant.
Especially not in this thread where many trolls fell upon a serious critique of existing issues in this game.

I personally can't think of a single post from him where he didn't display exemplary behaviour.

Well, I can think of at least one.

And yes of course it was a general sense. No mod should behave in this highly unprofessional way. However good their work was before. This doesn't give you some kind of unforfessionalism mana or something...

Just to sum this up: nothing you wrote here cooled anything. You just either repeated what has been said already, ignored what I wrote or made something up. How do you expect such a comment to cool something off?

Last edited:
Why did you write this? Did you even look? I did and I haven't found anything saying that you can't have multiple accounts. It would be quite tragic since it's bound to your Frontier Account and many people have multiple accounts...
Did you though?
See:
post #2, item 11
One person, one forum account.
But, for a good reason, exceptions may be made. 🤷‍♂️

It's an easy solution and I can imagine only one reason why someone would not do it: because he needs his reputation to be recognized if they post and this is exactly what happened here and why it is a problem.

Whose fault is it supposed to be then?
Seriously, what do you mean? It's not like somebody forced him to formulate a conspiracy and fuel the hate against Drew.
He also didn't have to do it. As far as I could see he's not the voluntary lawyer here.

The "represent" part was what I've been talking about.

Besides that, they do work for Frontier.
Just because they're not being paid doesn't make anything related to this topic less relevant.

I'm not sure if you didn't understand what I wrote, this is not my native language but I assumed the issue to be pretty easy to understand:

• people have a label of "authority"
  • people say something
ergo:
- what they say is said by "authority"

If some other user would have come in there and accused Drew to crap on the game to make some money out of it, it wouldn't be even close to relevant.
Especially not in this thread where many trolls fell upon a serious critique of existing issues in this game.

Well, I can think of at least one.

And yes of course it was a general sense. No mod should behave in this highly unprofessional way. However good they did they work before.

Just to sum this up: nothing you wrote here cooled anything. You just either repeated what has been said already, ignored what I wrote or made something up. How do you expect such a comment to cool something off?
(Info provision here)

It’s Forum Rules -> post 2, Rule 11.

Please note that the first post in the Forum Rules does specifically explain that the volunteer mods are allowed to get involved in discussions and debate, but that they shouldn’t also moderate the threads in which they do so.

Edit - ninja’d by @Zieman

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
Lets make some things clear.

Moderators do not 'work' for frontier. (The word 'Volunteer' should give enough of a clue to that fact)

Moderators are allowed to express their opinions on the forum.

Discussion of moderation actions isn't permitted, any issues that any user may have over action taken by the moderation team can be addressed to the Community Managment team who will investigate the complaint and take action as they deem necessary.

And with that made clear, please get back to discussing Elite Lore, not moderation. Thanks

Discussion of moderation actions isn't permitted, any issues that any user may have over action taken by the moderation team can be addressed to the Community Managment team who will investigate the complaint and take action as they deem necessary.
For my own clarification, this rule is specifically about the act of moderation itself, correct? We can still dispute anything a moderator says about the game or other players IIRC, especially if the moderator posts "off-duty" and not in an official capacity.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
For my own clarification, this rule is specifically about the act of moderation itself, correct? We can still dispute anything a moderator says about the game or other players IIRC, especially if the moderator posts "off-duty" and not in an official capacity.

Moderation actions as in doing something a normal forum user isn't able to do, such as closing threads, removing posts, banning duplicate accounts, issuing warnings etc.

And thats all folks. Back to the topic please.

I'm not going to get drawn into a conversation about how you interpreted the post, and derail Drew's thread in the process. But I will say the badge being permanently on is a side effect of the new forum, and one which the moderators would change if we were able.
but seems Drew's thread has already been thoroughly derailed by the fact that he won't be posting anymore ever again.

What we need is more waifu pillows.

iu

If you feel so inclined, please leave a positive message for Drew on his website (I really don't think he'll be back on this forum any time soon).
Comments & Messages at bottom of page: https://www.drewwagar.com/announcements/elite-dangerous-lore-tour/#comment-100533

As mentioned on his website (and elsewhere) with his forthcoming ''Lore Tours'' he will be running IN-GAME tours (Via his Player Group) and streaming to give guided visits to important lore locations in the galaxy. This when there is currently no in-game anything from FDev, Drew is at least trying to provide some interest, and it might be of use to new* players who have never had the opportunity of exploring any of the deep back story of the Elite galaxy. o7

* or even veteran commanders who want to revisit the formative years of ED

Last edited:
Folks,

I wrote a couple of official books in the ED universe a while back, which meant a reasonable knowledge of the background lore.

If anyone has questions about in-game lore stuff from the dawn of time until now post below and I'll do my best to answer. :)
Encouraged to get back on topic, some people seem upset that Drew made some money for contributing to the Lore of this game. I'd just like to remind everyone that the GAME ITSELF makes way more money than Drew ever did for his contributions. Before hating on Drew, consider how much $$$ you've thrown at useless cosmetics. Now had Drew gotten a bright red "PREMONITION" icon installed as part of the station menu, then people might have something to be upset about.

Heck, if Drew was such an evil guy, he wouldn't be offering free commentary about lore, he would just be telling everyone, "Sorry, you'll have to buy my books if you want to know the answer to any of your questions." The toxicity directed at this fellow over the years is ridiculous, and it's a poor commentary of this community. Same goes for the toxicity aimed at ED's content creators in general. I'll have you know that Obsidian Ant's videos and Drew's first novel (Reclamation) played pivotal roles in getting me interested in ED in the first place. Shaming these folks into hiding does nothing but harm the very game some of you so vehemently claim to support.

Top Bottom