Louis’ Rest - what is it?

Hi!
Today I found a non-docking ground base named Louis’ Rest in an unpopulated system Pencil sector GW-W c1-47 9a near the Pencil nebula.
Because of the name, at first I thought it was another shipwreck cemetery that I don’t remember in the Cannons list, but no.
Turrets, generators, skimmers, guards, security perimeter, ramps, the entrance to which is closed by power shields... I'm not much of an expert on ground bases, but it looks like a habitable system with an asteroid base in 5 ly from here has lost its system mate)
Or not?

No messages from data points, but it can be a network issue too, Guardians obelisks didn’t worked sometimes for me.

OrwG0Mw.jpg

YS5gIcz.jpg

YRpgBq8.jpg

nca9OGP.jpg

I'm guessing this is a settlement where you can complete missions that you pick up on nearby systems. I'm unable to find any other data on factions in that system, so... that's weird. Or maybe you found Raxxla. :p Seriously though, I was able to find an asteroid base 5ly away but everything else is almost 200ly away. Everything about this sounds very lonely but it might just be a simple settlement at the fringes of human civilisation.

Interesting, I didn't know that settlements could spawn in zero-population systems - but it's not like I hang around the bubble's edge much. As you mentioned, there is an inhabited system 5 ly away. Which faction does this settlement belong to?

Interesting, I didn't know that settlements could spawn in zero-population systems - but it's not like I hang around the bubble's edge much. As you mentioned, there is an inhabited system 5 ly away. Which faction does this settlement belong to?
I never really put any thought into it but my expectation would be that settlements only existed in inhabited systems. Fun fact though... I can't find Louis' Rest anywhere. Inara has a tab for installations and settlements and it's empty for that system. The only reference I find to this (other than this thread) is this post on Steam boards: https://steamcommunity.com/app/359320/discussions/0/1694917906653060352/

On one hand, I'm puzzled and curious. On the other hand, maybe it's just a whole lot of nothing.

The habitat system is in eddb:

I flew there, but didn't find any missions leading to this base. Maybe it's not the right state now.

I came across quite different strange systems, when they did not have a navigation beacon in the presence of a port, or a system without settlements at all with a population of 1-3 people, who came from nowhere. This case is special, I've never seen it before. Curiously, trade ships like ASP or Keelback circle over the base when leaving the cruise. However, if this is a mining base, then maybe this is normal. However, if this is a random attempt at the expected state of minor factions on Colonization, it has not quite succeeded :)

It belongs to 'no faction'. I have been out there a lot before, and have never seen a mission to there at all. It does not show on the planet map, and is only visible in the left panel.

Presumably mission to settlements will only go to those settlement that show in the planet map proper.

One of the nearby factions at new growth does not seem to give out missions at all.
Screenshot_1452.jpg

One possibility is that scanning all the data points and then one of the other data point like things like comms control etc might spawn a mission or some such, but i have never been able to do it right. (I am terrible at navigating around settlements)

Skimmers in surface poi ( in this case a system with INRA stuff in it) is another example of 'no faction' stuff popping up in game.
Screenshot_1480.jpg

And what do player journal says about faction-owner? As a settlement without owning faction is really strange.
At the same time any random POI's generated inside the 400 km "controlling" area of a settlement will belong to the same faction, so the skimmers with "no faction" are logical in this particular case. Hope that "No Faction" is not a legal faction name=)

Top Bottom