Lovecraftian game Sinking City

No idea how this went under my radar, looks like heavily Lovecraft inspired adventure game. Sadly its Epic exclusive but maybe someone here played it?
Also, why third person, at least for me in games like this its possible immersion killer.

It went under your radar, because there was a trailer about half a year ago and after that absolutely nothing. No marketing or anything. Very strange.

Thanks for reminding me. Didn't even know it was out already.

I dont know why it is so difficult to make a decent game about HP universe, its a real gold mine for horror/mystery stories. The latest Cthulhu game was pretty underwhelming:

Thats why I`m asking if anybody played the one in OP, in case its a good game I would prefer not to watch lets plays just yet.

I dont know why it is so difficult to make a decent game about HP universe, its a real gold mine for horror/mystery stories. The latest Cthulhu game was pretty underwhelming:

Thats why I`m asking if anybody played the one in OP, in case its a good game I would prefer not to watch lets plays just yet.
I don't think games in general are a great medium for horror. Even films don't really do it justice, though there are a couple that succeeded. Books are far superior in this genre and I think it's for a good reason - horror takes place in YOUR head. Both games and films are too visual a medium to make this work. The visual nature of the presentation detaches you from the story.

Could it be a good game? Yeah, quite possibly. Will it capture the essence of Lovecraft? No.

I haven't played it, yet, obviously so who knows. But this is how I feel about it. Games and films work differently. They're about terror. Gruesome visualization, jump scares, creepy music,... those are the tropes that work. But the true horror... I think can only be done by a book (or sometimes a comic book)

Yeah, there are few films that can truly do Lovecraft justice. I do recommend Dagon though.

In the Mouth of Madness with Sam Neill, altho no strictly based on H.P. work is in my opinion the best Lovecraftian movie.
Dagon, I saw this one as well, pretty good from start to end I agree, with very cool soundtrack.

I do remember having a hard time playing as a Marine in an Alien infested base in the first AVP game (i think it was the first, not sure and i think it was AVP, lol)
cba to finish it so i gave up.
Also i remember the first Nightmare of Elm Street movie. Gave me a lot of nightmares as well.

So horror in games/movies works plenty - but i do agree Lovecraft is special.

Horror in games do work. Amnesia is one very good example of a lovecraftian theme done properly.
Edge Of Nowhere is so far my best experience, seeing through the eyes of the protagonist (including his visions...) is just perfect for this kind of game. It has breath taking moments, and the end is a masterpiece.

I think CoC: Dark Corners of the Earth is a semi-forgotten gem, it can be modded to work with modern screen sizes and o/s. Pretty much a game of Shadow over Innsmouth and has some superbly tense sequences and interesting gameplay mechanics - it is still the only game I’m ever played where the player character looked at something so scary that they committed suicide when I equipped a pistol.

I dont know why it is so difficult to make a decent game about HP universe

Same reason they are hard to translate into films. The books work because so much is left to the imagination. Your mind generates the horror by filling in the gaps. On the screen (or monitor) it just because a graphic, and we are pretty desensitized to horror on our screen these days.

Thats why I`m asking if anybody played the one in OP, in case its a good game I would prefer not to watch lets plays just

Jim Sterling did a review of the game.
I won't link it here because... well... Jim Sterling, but it's both hilarious as always and interesting.
It's called "The worst game I've ever loved" :LOL:

made me curious - so i'm watching it. seem to me that he really wants to hate it and he goes picky on it, yet he cannot stop playing it :)
this must be saying something about the game
nonetheless it's an interesting review

made me curious - so i'm watching it. seem to me that he really wants to hate it and he goes picky on it, yet he cannot stop playing it :)
this must be saying something about the game
nonetheless it's an interesting review
Yes, bashing everything is his style, if you're not familiar with his stuff.
But the fact that he's hooked does indeed speak volumes for the game. :)

@Vasea Azure If you're still deciding, Jim Sterling did a review of the game.
I won't link it here because... well... Jim Sterling, but it's both hilarious as always and interesting.
It's called "The worst game I've ever loved" :LOL:

Thanks! I watched it and looks like it is in fact engaging for someone who looks for H/P orientated game, but its... terribly buggy. So the best course of action would be wait for Steam release and hope that in the meantime they will fix the tech issues :D

Top Bottom