Ships Low cost python build

Thanks for the advice. I always drop a target's shields with my pulse lasers (L) and then let a combination of laser and mulitcannon destroy the hull.
I have found though that the poor(ish) agility of the Python means small ships are usually all over me with pure gimballed weapons. I think I will try turreted multicannons and gimballed large pule lasers, thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
energy weapons first kinetics next I guess ;)

yep. if you don't want to run large beams, put medium turret beams up there. if you want to rn large beams, go with medium turret pulses (or bursts), or do it like me and have one medium turret burst and one medium turret multicannon, because i can#t decide...

for the stats/ dps: the thing is, you will have a hard time pointing your guns on small fast moving objects like eagles, vipers, even highranked vulture, while turrets up there hit them all the time - so from a practical point medium turrets (which are fast enough to track those small targets) will have a higher damage per second ;-)

Good points to consider - however I feel that weapon damage figures (DPS) for small/medium alone dont give the whole picture, its how the weapons and loadout combinations work in combat situations thats most important IMHO. A weapons' DPS is zero if you cant get your ships nose on to your target!

I will be honest and say that I did not expect the medium multi turrets to be so effective in combat, but I am really happy with my current loadout - it works well for me.

Its also the first time I have used turrets, so I am still learning and trying to work out the most effective way to use them in combat.

My setup has the large gimballed pulses on primary and the turrets on secondary buttons in one fire group and just the lasers in a second group so I can turn off the turrets to save ammo - the turrets are set to "Target Only".

I do try to conserve my ammo for the multicannons, but they usually last over half an hour in a CZ, more in a RES and the good part about the Python, I still have 3 large pulses that can do serious damage especially on the smaller ships.

For me its the best combination I have tried yet - my Python has an A7 power dist and an A6 power plant and is very nicely balanced for combat and trading.

Thanks

Well I only recently decided to try turreted Multicannons on my Python and I can tell you they work very well along with my 3 C3 Pulse lasers. I never really felt comfortable in a busy CZ in my Python, especially against small fast moving ships, its hard work - turrets make it so much easier now and I am really enjoying the Python as a combat ship.

I use the large pulses to drop shields on the larger ships then hit them with the turreted multicannons - its surprising how effective they are against hulls. For small ships. I just lock them up and fire the multis while I am manoeuvring to get the lasers on target - small ships go "pop" very quickly when all weapons are concentrated on the one target.

You really should give them a try and see if it suits your combat style, got nothing to lose. If you dont like them you can always swap for something else, but considering the Python is a bit slow in combat, why not take advantage of its great weapon location and powerplant.

Another advantage of having a thermal/kinetic weapon mix is that if your weapons capacitor is low or out, the multicannons will keep firing while the charge builds up for your lasers.

Cheers

Solid post, I also hunted my trade Conda with gimbaled pulses in the large and gimbaled multi-cannon in the medium, and it flat out eats targets, all with a 6a powerplant.

DUDE, I'm totally digging that Privateer patch. Is that your wing?

Last edited:
I have found though that the poor(ish) agility of the Python means small ships are usually all over me with pure gimballed weapons. I think I will try turreted multicannons and gimballed large pule lasers, thanks for the advice.
VS small targets just fly backward in blue zone and shoot those s. You don't need low-dps turrets.

I've used c2 beam turrets for some time and it's good for RES\NAV\SSS BH, but in CZ those NPCs have got good bulkheads, and it take long time to put down Pythons or Condas with just lazors.
So, i've decided to use C2 gimballed cannons VS big ships for CZ.
Don't forget that mirrored bulkheads has -25% resist VS kinetic and reinforced bulkheads has -25% VS thermal.
You can even go with 2 C3 gimbal beams to melt shields, 1C3 cannon+2c2 cannons. It rips enemy hull apart in no time.

Last edited:
Solid post, I also hunted my trade Conda with gimbaled pulses in the large and gimbaled multi-cannon in the medium, and it flat out eats targets, all with a 6a powerplant.

DUDE, I'm totally digging that Privateer patch. Is that your wing?

Thanks for that - the patch is a modified version of one I made for my old Falcon Wing. We called ourselves the "Privateers", so when I got into ED, it seemed to fit the role I am playing now, lone wolf - mercenary, bounty hunter and smuggler :)

I used to do a whole bunch of photoshopping - making skins, patches etc, I am a bit out of touch now!

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
I just went for a basic refinery 4 slots. and 1 Mining laser went to a system that had good ore and mine it until filled. Then started upgrading weapons first. Bigger cargo and then Mined some more. Then decided what I wanted to do with my Python. In iron man mode you don't need insurance.

Is it best using turrets on the medium Multicannon and gimballed on the large Pulse lasers?
My usual weapon layout is x3 L Pulse (gimballed) and x2 M Multicannon (gimballed).
Have read here though that turrets are better. Any views on that?

I use Lasers only. I do not want to interrupt my Bounty Hunting sessions due to the fact that I run out of ammo. Once you got a great run, you can make so much money. An interruption would be very ärgerlich.

I mainly bounty hunt in PvE with a Clipper, and am looking to upgrade to a Python, because it has more hardpoints, better shields and can land on outposts.

Will this build be decent in PvE?

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=705,5...,2-BQ9s7_6uB6A08I,52W0AA7US7iM7iM9tu05U05U2US

Cargo slots are so I can do the occasional trade/smuggling mission, and because I honestly don't know what else to do with the slots without increasing weight too much.

And when I earn more, I plan to upgrade it to this :

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=705,5...,2-BG9Y7_6uB6A08I,52W0AA7UI7iM7iM9tu05U05U2US

Last edited:
Top Bottom